Intererst in Body Extension for TRI EDC, SST-50 and XM-L?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 18500 idea is the best one. You would only be a bit more than a half inch longer. A small tradeoff for having 1500mah, IMO.

stevenkelby

Enlightened
Sorry guys I had a dog die, $4500 in vet bills and no money for this project.

I'd still like an extension but can't pay the up front costs to get someone here to do it.

Hopefully it will happen one day.

Policecar

Newly Enlightened
Re: Intererst in Body Extesion for TRI EDC?

Yeah. Visual difference between 800 and 1000 lumens isn't noticeable unless you have them side by side or you're outside in the dark with some distance to use. Plus with such a wide hotspot, the difference is even less pronounced.

I would be interested in an extender body (in Ti though) for my sst50 but not for an 18650. I think an 18500 would be ideal. It would keep the light compact but give it much more runtime over the 16340 or 18350.

I agree 18500 would be perfect. I want an EDC that is as small of a diameter as possible, but a little extra length is no issue at all.

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
Now that many people have tri-edcs maybe mac will think about making an extension? :p

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy one. Running 2 x 18350s would be awesomely bright! -----> :cool: Whadaya say, Mac? I bet you could sell 100 of these in no time. :thumbsup:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha I would be interested too...but I have a damascus Tri-EDC. That tube is going to be EXPENSIVE and won't match the pattern of my light :(

Tiresius

Enlightened
I've seen the gut of an old SST-50 EDC tube and it doesn't look like there's room to bore the inside for an 18mm battery. Did Mac made his newer models with a larger ID and OD on the head itself?

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the gut of an old SST-50 EDC tube and it doesn't look like there's room to bore the inside for an 18mm battery. Did Mac made his newer models with a larger ID and OD on the head itself?

The first SST50 were 16mm while the later ones were 18mm bored. Some have indicated the 16mm tubes can be bored to take the 18mm.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha Ben, one is enough for me. It's my most carried light, it will later be joined by a Makai :)

Mac himself offers the boring service for the older 16mm lights, so you can send it back to him. Alternatively you can find a modder on here that has experience boring lights to do it too

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the EDC's are using a NANJG 2.8a driver with a max voltage of 6V?

I thought I read on here someone say they could work with 2 x LiPo but maybe that was with the old driver? Maybe Mac can clear this up for us? What's the voltage limit on these 'lil guys?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the EDC's are using a NANJG 2.8a driver with a max voltage of 6V?

When Mac came out with the tri-edc, he initially source the driver/led assembly from lux-rc and that assembly was able to accept a higher voltage range. Hence the ability to accept 2x rechargable li-ion cells. But with some issues with the lux-rc board (blinking indicator led), he started using the more traditional 3up led boards and 7135 driver. I don't blame him. It's more cost effective since his lights only uses single cells.

There is indeed enough to be rebored to accept an 18350. I've owned an sst-50 edc before and I sent it back to Mac himself to rebore it for 18mm cells, so I know for sure it has enough material to accept larger cells without having to redesign the body for a larger OD.

I'd buy one. Running 2 x 18350s would be awesomely bright! -----> :cool: Whadaya say, Mac? I bet you could sell 100 of these in no time. :thumbsup:

Mac did try this at one point but I don't think it was very well accepted. It was a tri-edc head with an extended version of the current body, and it was cerakoted. I remember what it looked like and I have to say, I didn't really like it. It was too body heavy, and it looked unbalanced. And it went away from what I think his lights are all about: beauty, functionality, and portability.

What I would actually like to see is his edc lights modified to accept 18500 cells for even more runtime. I've always thought his sst-50/xml edc was the perfect form factor. It looked even more balanced than the tri-edc and it fits in the hand (in a fist grip) even better. Sometimes, my hand will cover a small part of the front and block some light. With the sst-50, it protruded from my fist like a 1/4 inch so no light was being blocked. I asked Mac if he could machine the sst-50/xml edc head and body such that it would accept the tri-edc engine and use the additional length for an 18500 battery, but he said it was still a few mm short. It probably wouldn't take much to add those extra mm to make this form factor work, but it would mean a new head (or body) design.

THAT would be my perfect edc. Pretty please Mac? :)

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
" I asked Mac if he could machine the sst-50/xml edc head and body such that it would accept the tri-edc engine and use the additional length for an 18500 battery, but he said it was still a few mm short. It probably wouldn't take much to add those extra mm to make this form factor work, but it would mean a new head (or body) design.

THAT would be my perfect edc. Pretty please Mac? :)"

I think that's an awesome idea! :thumbsup: There are 18500 cells available (Sanyo) that have a *true* tested 1600mAh and should handle 2.8a ok. That's double the capacity of an AW 18350.