Interest Thread; Malkoff M61 New 519A 4500k / 5700k 9080 *Group Buy 2022!*

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a 30 second burst minimum but if the step down appears linear it's alright.

The burst is 8 seconds followed by a single-step step down from max to 175 or 200 lumens.

An agency set the criteria. Only thing I can think of is there was a need to use a single-mode light for an extended period of time after turning it on. Multi-mode sucks when under duress. Turn on high just in case it's needed isn't necessarily bad.
For me the main purpose of that light is the single-mode 175/200 lumens. I don't really need a single-mode 175/200 lumen light.

If the main purpose is the turn-on high then the E2S is the choice.
When I need full-throttle I grab my E2S or SBT90.2. There's no doubt those aren't designed for extended usage.
The SBT90.2 is nuts. It may melt after 1 minute but there's 4000+ lumens being sent.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great. The 4500K is very nice, but the dedomed 5700K is a tad warmer (maybe because it renders reds seemingly extra) than my 4500K and has more throw; really nice and a delight to have Hi CRI that has more reach.

Know that member dotCPF did a group buy, and because of an emitter entanglement, had to eat some red light dropins for a time. Maybe he still has some of those that members did not step up and buy because the price went up. It would be very helpful if dot showed up here for some experience sharing.

aZhu

Newly Enlightened
Whaddup guys! Just got all caught up reading this thread. I'm definitely open to reflowing and dedoming 519a for another GB for Gene if someone doesn't mind organizing it. That's what I did for the Bodyguard GB. Gene sent me boards and I reflowed 519a and dedomed and sent it back. One thing to note though is that the 519a dedomed doesn't produce a smooth round outer hot spot/spill on the optics for the bodyguard so I don't know how it will be for the M61. I ended up putting some dcfix on mine.

hamhanded

Enlightened
Dedoming is as easy as picking off a sticker, I've done it once to a 519a accidentally, it's really that easy. You can use your fingernail. I personally wouldn't want to give up output for throw.

M61 4500 K domed would be my vote.

Dedoming is as easy as picking off a sticker, I've done it once to a 519a accidentally, it's really that easy. You can use your fingernail. I personally wouldn't want to give up output for throw.

M61 4500 K domed would be my vote.
What if Gene won't honor his warranty if we screw up the dedome? This is something we need to consider. I think most of us prefer DD either way. We could also do multiple GB's or half domed half dedome.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
agreed, but I would be happy with the 519 M61 just being made wether it failed or not. lol...
true, I will ask Gene this. I wonder what would be the solution if this happened?...

agreed, but I would be happy with the 519 M61 just being made wether it failed or not. lol...
true, I will ask Gene this. I wonder what would be the solution if this happened?...
I doubt he will honor his warranty in any way if we screw up a dedome. We need to make some DD and some domed to please everyone in the group buy

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
4500K 519a dome on is quite nice. Here's my Laulima slim with 4500K dome on.

0C3A8F27-2E0D-4649-A9FA-34D8BC271E0A.jpeg

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that. I like the 519a dedome, but I always go back to a more neutral tint, especially at work where I feel sometimes the warm rosy tint is too much for me. So far the m61N is my sweet spot. 4500k domed seems nice