Interesting Maglite ML300L issue

Brigadier

Enlightened
Just took delivery of two Maglite ML300L flashlights. 1 3D, 1 4D. Both are great lights for their purpose.

I noticed an issue with the 4D light. If I run it on high for as little as 20 seconds, and then switch to Eco mode, the LED doesn't turn on at the set level, but ramps up to the Eco brightness. And if I run the light on high longer, it takes longer to ramp up, almost as if it is a thermal restraint on the LED. Yet switching to Med from Turbo is normal, no issues.

This happens with any battery type. Alkaline, D NiMh, 3XAA converters w/NiMH, or 3XAA converters with Energizer lithiums.

The 3D light does not have this issue.

Sending the light back to Mag under warranty.

Any thoughts?

CanAm

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2D Ml300 sitting in my car. I haven't noticed this behavior, but if I have some time this afternoon I can check it out. By Eco mode you are referring to the lowest power level, right?

Brigadier

Enlightened
I have a 2D Ml300 sitting in my car. I haven't noticed this behavior, but if I have some time this afternoon I can check it out. By Eco mode you are referring to the lowest power level, right?
Yes.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have almost the entire MLLX collection. I have the new 4 D as well. OP it sounds like you did indeed get a 4 D with issues. None of my big Mags act like that especially the new ones. Mag should take quick care of you.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Check the tailcap for excess anodize where it should be bare.
I had a Maglite arrive with coating in places meant to be bare. After scraping the extra off it acted weird. It did not work at all at first.
Maglite sent me a new tail cap at no cost to me.

D56E14A0-52AE-415B-BD89-CC66C5FE6757.jpeg

This area was the issue.

CAD49245-00F7-4578-90C9-00A3AF1FE283.jpeg

Check here too.

Brigadier

Enlightened
One thing I have noticed with the 4D vs the 3D, is that on Turbo, the 4D gets quite warm whereas the 3D doesn't. Maybe the extra 250 lumens is pushing it too hard.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If yours has turbo, yeah something is wrong. All of their 1000 lumen lights get warm quickly though.

They work like this:
- High-steady maximum output (not turbo)
- Low- a much lower output than high. Most would call it medium.
- Eco- what most would consider low but Maglite chose a word for marketing purposes.

Sounds like you got a dud.

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
I was calling it Turbo as it seems most manufacturers call their max output Turbo.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange problem, maybe the switch is flakey. Why don't you just contact the place you bought it from and have them exchange it instead of sending it to Maglite for repair? That would probably be a much faster solution for you! :)

Brigadier

Enlightened
Strange problem, maybe the switch is flakey. Why don't you just contact the place you bought it from and have them exchange it instead of sending it to Maglite for repair? That would probably be a much faster solution for you! :)
I bought it straight from MagLite as I wanted the latest and greatest output.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Finally got the light back from Mag. Their paperwork said they couldn't duplicate the issue.

Threw 4 alkaline Duracells in it, turned it on high for 20 seconds and then switched to Eco mode.....boom. LED slowly ramps up to Eco level. No change.

The paperwork says they cleaned and tested the switch. Uh huh......on this light? I don't think so.

But the warranty department did put a new lens in a brand new defective light....cool, huh?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean it's on high. You quadruple click it and it goes from off and slowly ramps up to the 20 or so lumens? Instead of immediately to the 20 lumens?

Brigadier

Enlightened
Yes. I have 2 other Maglites that don't ramp up, but go instantly to 20 lumens. Depending on how long the light has been on high, it can take 5+ seconds for the led to ramp up from 0 to 20 lumens.

Brigadier

Enlightened
After some more testing.

Light on high for 60 seconds. Switch to eco, and the LED takes 15 seconds to ramp up to 20 lumens.

The longer the light is on high, the longer it takes the LED to ramp up to 20 lumens when switching to eco mode.