Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
JimH said:
Hate it - now I have another impossible decision to make. Do EDC the perfect standard head, or do I EDC the perfect turbo head. My brain is going "tilt". I got a terrible feeling this is going to cost me more money
smoker.gif
C'mon Jim, you know the answer to that one.............BUY BOTH ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cliff

Rookwood

Newly Enlightened
My .02 cents on the Turbohead - I like it a LOT, but not enough to place on my keychain light - my second light will have the AAA extension and Turbohead and likely go in my kit bag.

Since I like to carry my keys in the little 'watch pocket' in my jeans, the Turbohead's size just doesn't work so well for that, but it's not unreasonable if you hang your keys or carry them in a jacket pocket.

I will have to try some beam shots, but the Turbohead fares very well against the HDS 60 I have - it has a more diffused hotspot, but overall is more consistent from center to outer range. The HDS always has a super bright hotspot. The beams compared against a wall at about 3 feet were almost the same size, though I had to turn down the HDS to about 40 lumens (guess) so that they matched up in intensity.

The HDS may have more throw and power, but it would never be in consideration for a keylight. The fact that the Draco can hang in the same ballpark should definitely be noted by anyone considering this light.

I've never taken beamshots, but I'm willing to give it a try this weekend.

Draco Rocks!

chasm22

Newly Enlightened
Jonathan,

You've done an incredible job producing this gem. Thanks for all the time and effort you've put into this light and above all thanks for letting us share the rewards of your work. Well done is an understatement.

This is one of those rare lights that has me waiting for nightfall. The turbo head really makes this light quite a little thrower, while still providing good spill.

And thank you for the little extras you included. Bright little things that will come in handy.

Best regards,

Chuck

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Draco courtesy of milkyspit.

Great little light! A true little jewel of a piece!

Jonathan, any concern that the relatively short threading might come undone and lose the head? Is a slightly thicker o-ring available that might decrease that risk?

Bill

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, the reason why I ask about the Turbo head is "I'm having problem deciding whether I want to EDC it or just plane Jane Draco." From the people I showed the Draco too their first impression is WOW! But when I fired up the turbo head then it becomes "HOLY $!&^!".

Bill, if the + contact is properly sized, you got 1 rotation before the the oring no longer engage. And even so after that, you're require to rotate the head another 2 rotation before it completely disengage.

More threads would mean increasing the OD. Prefer not.
A thinker oring will make it will require excessive greasing (due to increase of oring compression force from 15%- 30%).

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jonathan, thanks!

Great little light, works great! You are going to make an even bigger name for yourself and no one is going to let you leave CPF!

We will have to send Guido and Franco around to make sure that you have to keep producing these little masterpieces!:)

Bill

Rookwood

Newly Enlightened
Jonathan

This was my initial reaction after installing the Turbohead as well, but I know this is a family board:sssh:

I really love the quality of the spill with the Turbo - it's definitely worth getting.

I can't stop finding reasons to use Draco - I've been installing hard drives today, so naturally I've got it pretty warmed up!

I love how I can throw my keyring on my desk, jam my keys in my back pocket and sit on them without worrying that I'll harm Draco as if it were a plastic squeeze light. It's why I can't carry plastic lights. And the Draco is showing NO signs of wear at all - not that I abuse it, but I wasn't expecting it to stay looking like a shelf queen either!

And to echo chasm22, thanks for the extras!

Cheers
Chris

modamag said:
Guys, the reason why I ask about the Turbo head is "I'm having problem deciding whether I want to EDC it or just plane Jane Draco." From the people I showed the Draco too their first impression is WOW! But when I fired up the turbo head then it becomes "HOLY $!&^!".

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
Jonathan, thanks!

Great little light, works great! You are going to make an even bigger name for yourself and no one is going to let you leave CPF!

We will have to send Guido and Franco around to make sure that you have to keep producing these little masterpieces!:)

Bill
Let's see - praise for the maker of the UKCL (Utimate Key Chain Light) by the maker of the USL. I'm beginning to smell flashlight hall of fame nominations here. In my book, if the name, or nickname, of the flashlight you made starts with a "U", your a shoe in.

srue

Newly Enlightened
Modamag,

Received my light, #21. I am absolutely stunned by the fantastic performance and quality. It's replacing my Firefly 2 on my keychain, and I love my Firefly.

I love the turning action - very smooth. After using the two-stage spring switch on the Firefly, it's so refreshing to have a consistent on/off.

The beam quality is fantastic (U-bin). The hotspot is smooth with an excellent corona. I love the stippled reflector. The color is also fantastic.

Several months ago I sat down and thought about how I would define the perfect light. The size I described as the diameter of an Arc AAA and about 2/3 the length. This is exactly that size. Awesome.

The light is much brighter than I expected (FluPIC version) on burst. I am extremely pleased that it will serve all of my keychain light needs. I was initially worried that it wouldn't be bright enough, but it more than satisfies.

A very minor nit: I think I would prefer if the levels on the FluPIC were reversed, with the brightest last. It's a tough call, and I will probably use burst the most, but there are times when I don't want a bright light even for a moment.

This is the best keychain light I have ever owned. I'm very close to purchasing another one for my wife, who is very jealous. I really appreciate your hard work in putting this all together.

-Stuart

P.S. Thanks for the little "bonus" light. I love little fun things like that.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
srue said:
A very minor nit: I think I would prefer if the levels on the FluPIC were reversed, with the brightest last.
Don't blame Jonathan. Your preference was Jonathan's original design, but we had a mini get together and cromagnet and I beat Jonathan with a wet noodle for hours until he relented and agreed to make the interface the way it currently is.

StanTeate

Enlightened
I am overwhelmed by the amount of light output by such a small formfactor. It's really light weight. The TI ones should feel more substantial. I applaud you sir!.

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
This is a great little light and better than I expected.

I need to know how to use the turbo head. Unscrew the standard head; then what? The light engine stays in the standard head. How do I get it out so I can put in the turbo? I tried to tap the head against the table but the emitter stays put.

Steve

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
SteveStephens said:
This is a great little light and better than I expected.

I need to know how to use the turbo head. Unscrew the standard head; then what? The light engine stays in the standard head. How do I get it out so I can put in the turbo? I tried to tap the head against the table but the emitter stays put.

Steve
The Draco is made up of 3 sections:

1. Body
2. Integrated light engine and heat sink
3. Head (includes reflector and lens)

CIMG0540.jpg

Make sure, when you connect the head to the light engine section, that it is really snug. That way, when turning it on and off, you will only be turning the Body and Light engine sections. The Light engine and head should remain in fixed position relative to each other when turning the light on and off.

Nuutaro

Newly Enlightened
I recieved Draco.
It's very nice and beautiful and powerful !!
I am really impressed by the exellent work !!!

Thank you.

Shunji Kashiwagi

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Received mine this morning, a day after a PM stating that due to a booboo, it is direct drive, (pocket rocket!) and a replacement LE is forthcoming. This sucker is the same diameter (~1/2") and ~1/8" shorter than the NLS light I did back when, and ~10X brighter! (Weren't no Li 10280 cells or U-bin LuxIIIs then! :sour grapes:) The NLS made its sorry way onto a couple serious-CPFcelebrity keyrings! This puppy may make it onto mine!

It ain't perfect, but I hope a 2nd gen can be allowed to occur! :thumbsup:

Larry

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jim for explaining how to get the turbo head on. I didn't know the head separated where it does and mine was very tight. This light is on par with your beans!

Steve

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Final shipment packed and shipped.
AuroraLite, fullogik, helios, heyheyitshendo, jeffb, JeffT, revv11, Rookwood, stevevh

Now for some sleep :sleepy:

light: your order is delayed for one week due to insufficient "good" stock of 10280.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimH said:
Let's see - praise for the maker of the UKCL (Utimate Key Chain Light) by the maker of the USL. I'm beginning to smell flashlight hall of fame nominations here. In my book, if the name, or nickname, of the flashlight you made starts with a "U", your a shoe in.

AHH...but there is a huge difference. I did my light with LOTS of help and guidance from js, Ginseng, and others. From what I can tell, Jonathan did his on his own and has all of them in the owners hands in a miniscule fraction of the time the USL continues to take!

Bravo, Jonathan, Bravo!!!!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
scuba said:
I don't seem to be able to find any beamshots of it. Help please.
Beam shots just don't do it justice. You just have to hold it in you hand, then wonder where the hell is all that light coming from
smoker.gif