Introducing Mockbug: The story of my first flashlight build.

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Going a bit off topic here but… Haahhh :)

It's true it's not the smallest of hobby lathes. And it's true it's a CNC. But Dan... yours is much sturdier.
It is however a 210 KG / 400 pound lathe not a 5000 pound'er. I have about 1.5 hp available but the machine lacks the rigidity to use it. And you're right it has a 8 position tool turret.
It's only a 2 axis machine. I'll have to do the dimples using a dividing head on the mill which causes a couple of alignment issues to say the least.
Hence probing the surface prior to cutting them. (I'm currently working on that.)

I's wish it was a Haas or at least a Tormach but those are beyond my budget.
It's a Sieg iKX4.
A word of caution! The controller is a POS and the documentation is horrible. But it's still quite a lot of machine for the money.
Mockbug-19.jpg

Thank you for the kind words on the design and execution. All of you!
Jup. It's fusion 360. They have a brilliant price plan for hobbyists :)

Not to sure how durable copper would be but you're right about the patina.
Sure thing. Lets do a re-render in copper.
Mockbug-20.jpg

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent, no matter what tools you have, it's up to us to maximize their potential.

I use a spindexer for doing work like the dimples. You might also post a few things in the Machining section, that's were most of my projects go.

wGc0TN.jpg

wosser

Newly Enlightened
Nice rig - she sure gets the job done.

Regarding dimpling the central tube section...

If the centre section is an internally smooth tube then it may be possible to use a purpose made aluminium arbor (temporarily superglued into the work) to hold the tube while you cut the dimples. That way you wouldn't have to re-clamp the workpiece in the dividing head half-way through the dimpling process, so all your dimples are perfectly regimented and even.

Then just heat up the metal to release the glue and remove residue with solvents.

The front end of that copper version looks so damn cool, that texture looks so real. I think the black o-ring sets it off nicely.

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys.

I figured I'd take what i heard from your advice and just go for it instead of complicating it needlessly.

In the end i should have just gone with the groves.
Dimples as It turns out are hard to do consistently. Not to mention incredibly boring :)
I did a couple of tests and still managed to bodge up one of the body's. It's the one in the picture but the picture is taken from it's best side :)
The other one is currently setup in the machine waiting for me to get back to it.

Anyways… here's the result.
Hopefully i'll have a success story by tomorrow.

Mockbug-21.JPG

Mockbug-22.JPG

wosser

Newly Enlightened
Don't be so hard on yourself, you've already segmented the project into enough parts that any risky or experimental operations cannot cause wasted effort on other components.

Prototypes are not meant to be sold off to, or scrutinised by, the audience, they are under the control of their maker... you! They are for proving concepts and for "showing their best sides" to the camera. Done and done.

I'm not sure how you did the dimples (theory: spot drill followed up by ball-end mill and then polished with a dremel?) but they look fantastic. Compare the second PHOTO in post #24 with the first RENDERING in post #10... there's no difference besides the two body o-rings. Dimples may be hard / boring* to do but that's why they make your light stand out among a million others with standard knurling.

As I see it you've nailed it every step of the way. :cool:

MORE!!!

*to be honest, I love the boring, repetitive parts of machining because that's when I get to relax and listen to podcasts and the rest of the world just melts away into nothingness, but that's me :)

Last edited:

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Ahaa! Success today!
I think i mentioned it earlier but most things in this world can be fixed by putting in the work.
The dimples on the second body are deeper but consistent. It also provides a better grip but still doesn't tear up your fingers.
Here's the result.
Mockbug-23.JPG

@ Wosser. You are right. And thank you for keeping up the positive feedback.
Regarding how i made the the dimples. Basically just plunged a ball-end mill straight into it.
A good one (YG) with boring capability though. You guys encouraged me to pretty much go for it and so i did. It caused a couple of issues but i got there in the end.
This can be setup for a series type production but it would require either a proper lathe with a C-axis and live tooling or a pretty elaborate setup on the mill to get it right every time in a single run but it's defiantly doable.

Well what do you know… it turns out that if you leave parts on the table they spontaneously multiply :)
Unfortunately my vacation is coming to an end so progress from this point on will most likely be really slow.
Mockbug-24.JPG

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Very nice. Really great work. If you get to the point where you are ready to sell and have the necessary CPF membership (able to post in the WTS section) please let us know.

wosser

Newly Enlightened
Ahaa! Success today!

@ Wosser ... thank you for keeping up the positive feedback.

It's a pleasure to see a project grow like this. To get this far takes a lot of personal dedication to learning CAD/CAM and also the practical setup of a very complex and sensitive (not to mention temperamental and dangerous!) piece of machinery. To get output to such a high standard as this from your labours must bring a huge amount of satisfaction and thrill.

I bought a manual milling machine a few years ago and I've made a few small things that I'm happy with (most recently the monogrammed 'tactical' grip for my XT2CR http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?455441-Custom-metal-grip-bezel) but ever since I've regretted not getting a lathe instead.

Please do continue updating us with your project progress.

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
I guess this is where the proof lies.
If someone is willing to pay actual money for whatever you make and encourage you to sell it you must be on the right track :)
If i get to that stage (And yes... i'd like to) you guys will be the first to know.

@ wosser. I had a look at that and it looks great. And yes… it's a downright hysterical and temperamental piece of machinery. It's like working with a robot… ehh.. wait a minute. It is kind off a robot. It only does what you tell it to and when you tell it to do something stupid. Well… that's what you get.
You need to get a lathe :) it's not a question of a lathe or a mill. You need both. I found that out the same way you did albeit a good 10 or 15 years ago.

The fruit of the past four hours of labor.
Drilling is an issue. I had a mishap on the one on the left. But got it right on the one to the right.
Two stage peck drilling. That's what you get for not having through drill high pressure coolant :)
Mockbug-25.JPG

wosser

Newly Enlightened
@ wosser...
You need to get a lathe :) it's not a question of a lathe or a mill. You need both.

Hehe, my "workshop" is about 6 feet by 5 feet. I'd have to get rid of my scroll saw :(

Although Lathe/Mill combo machines are a thing - expensive though. One of those would be PERFECT for making torches - fewer clamping/re-clamping operations.

Oh noooooooo, what have you done? Now I'm looking at the catalog........

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
As i believe i said in the previous post i did two body blanks but made a rookie mistake on one of them while doing the dimples.
Basically i didn't tighten it down properly so it came loose during milling &%#¤(/%¤#&#!!!!!
The result being the two body blanks turned into one with dimples.

I've pretty much run out of stock at this point and have ordered more. Along with some O-rings and other bits and pieces.
Basically I've decided to try to do a small run of say 5 -10 flashlights.

This will take a while though as i don't have a lot of spare time for this besides when i'm on vacation.
I'll keep you updated on progress though.

@ MRsDNF
Thank you. I really appreciate it.

@ Wosser
Not that i have any experience with them i believe you're right that one of the combos would actually be pretty good for flashlights.
Quote. "Oh noooooooo, what have you done? Now i'm looking at the catalog........"
Haaahh… that sound to me like inspiration. And i can only advise that you go for it :)

wosser

Newly Enlightened
@ Wosser
...i can only advise that you go for it :)

Alas, my bank manager does not share your joie de vivre! :D

Mind you, I've been having a great deal of success with online 3D printing services (just this evening I've had another part made - pictures to follow in a day or two) which is mercifully a lot cheaper than buying more heavy machinery.

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Update.

So… things are moving but they're moving slowly.

I had/Have a bunch of tweaks that i need to make.
1. Improve the bore quality of the inside of the body. (that's as good as it's going to get for now.)
2. There's a bit of chatter on the threads on the bodies as well that need to be sorted.(still needs a bit of work)
3. Nail the offset for making dimples. (found it but need to update the code)
4. Make a reliable setup to cut flats on the heads.
5. Update the end stop on the tailcap. Allowing Tail standing capability as standard.

I did manage to turn out some parts though.
Mockbug-26.JPG

And i still need to cut the flats on the heads.

The plan at this point is to get this down and do a run of 10 complete flashlights but as i mentioned in the previous post i've run out of stock and i need to prioritize my day job. (in the end that's what allows me to do this in the first place)

easilyled

Flashaholic
I'm convinced that the end product is going to be excellent. You appear to be a perfectionist with a flair for aesthetic design.

Would you consider making a reflector-based light that can also throw as well as having some spill?

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

I cannot believe the support and kindness i receive from this forum. It's highly appreciated.

So… Help me out here. At this point i've only heard from one that thought steel was actually a good idea albeit he would have preferred stainless.
Should these be made from something else?
(Not counting Titanium at this point. I simply don't have the capability)

@ easilyled.
Haaahhh!!! You're hitting pretty close to home.
I have learned to stop at a point though after practicing most of my life.
Usually "close enough" for me is "pretty good" for everyone else :)

"Would you consider making a reflector-based light that can also throw as well as having some spill?"

I'll consider almost anything :)
Changing from a mule to a real reflector has a massive impact on the functional design.
In it's current form there's simply not enough room which in turn means a complete rework of the mechanics. Additionally it will have some at this point unknown effect on the design although that might actually turn out for the better.
I do however have to focus on "the job at hand" or this project will just fizzle out instead of happening. This is a hobby to me and i'm doing it in order to have "fun" and relax which in turn means that i have to be very careful with how much i take on at any given time.
(The way things look right now there's no reasonable amount of money i can charge you guys that will make it a good deal on my end :) The hourly rate is at best horrible.)
Having said that. After this run is completed and if i get a sense that there will be takers it could defiantly be a thing.

Last but not least. Please keep the ideas and comments coming. As you can tell from the rest of the thread some will most likely happen :)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks guys!

I cannot believe the support and kindness i receive from this forum. It's highly appreciated.

So… Help be out here. At this point i've only heard from one that thought steel was actually a good idea albeit he would have preferred stainless.
Should these be made from something else?
(Not counting Titanium at this point. I simply don't have the capability)

If Ti is out, alumibronze is also highly regarded here.