Introduction, and my personal Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzchen

Enlightened
Probably counterfeit product.
Uh oh. Didn't think of that possibility!!!

I just checked and it says "Ships from and sold by Amazon."

Didn't know that Amazon itself would do such a thing...

Last edited by a moderator:

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pic. At this point, I'm learning to live with it, as I haven't had time to do anything meaningful to improve the situation.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
My 2015 Audi A3 has HIDs that while very bright, were aimed way too low when I purchased it new. High beams didn't have the cutoff so they were actually quite spectacular. One night I switched to low beams because of oncoming traffic and couldn't see a deer what seemed 50 feet or less in front of me. After getting the damage fixed including the right headlight assembly I asked the repair shop to raise the lights. But they were still too low. I then went to the dealer and after two different trips they managed to get them way too high. So I adjusted them myself. The factory spec was absolutely dangerous and the Audi dealership raised them way too much when I asked them to raise it. Since my adjustments they have been perfect. My wife actually liked the aim as we got it back from Audi the second adjustment but the aim was way too high to be safe for oncoming traffic and the normally sharp cutoff was really not present. I would suggest seeing if they are within factory spec and going from there.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

It's discussed on this board on a fairly regular basis. Look for posts from XeRay.

Sorry if the picture is big. It is the smallest pixel setting I can set my phone to.

They were very large, and have been removed. If you need to post pics but can't do it properly from your phone, please wait until you are at an actual computer. Anyway, the pics don't provide any useful information.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes even Amazon itself sometimes unwittingly sells counterfeits.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
I was hoping not after reading this from the Sylvania ZEVO minibulb page on minibulb warranty:

"Purchases made on Amazon.com must state: 'ships from and sold by Amazon.com' in order to be considered an authorized retailer."

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That doesn't mean (or suggest) that you didn't get a counterfeit product.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesn't mean (or suggest) that you didn't get a counterfeit product.

Yes even Amazon itself sometimes unwittingly sells counterfeits.
As Virgil has indicated, even in this situation
"ships from and sold by Amazon.com", it happens more than you would hope or like to think.

jzchen

Enlightened
I'll try to figure out/call/email Sylvania about them. Amazon has a good return policy, but at this price I'm not sure I'll complain much considering the real ones seem to be in negative light as it is....

jzchen

Enlightened
the pics don't provide any useful information.

I'm not convinced I have gotten a counterfeit product yet. I duly noted that the box was not a retail box to warn any potential purchaser. My purpose was to share possible good pricing, with a caveat I did not know when I personally bought them. I have been watching the Amazon pricing for a while so I thought I'd share...

I believe I've noted the $16x.xx before. Is there a reason the knowledgeable moderators didn't warn everyone about counterfeit possibility before?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not convinced I have gotten a counterfeit product yet. I duly noted that the box was not a retail box to warn any potential purchaser.
These aren't made for OEMs, they're made for retail sale. It's one thing to pick up a Sound Blaster AWE32 in a plain box intended for system integrators/VARs to install, but these particular items are intended for retail sale only and will be a finished good. A white box item means something is not right. Maybe it's counterfeit, maybe it's a reject with severe problems-- it's NOT worth installing in your car. We're talking about life-critical safety items.

Is there a reason the knowledgeable moderators didn't warn everyone about counterfeit possibility before?
It's not our job to crawl Amazon and find counterfeits for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.