iPhone 4 LED flash flashlight

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
Re: Apple Approves Iphone 4 LED Flash To Be Used As Flashlight

I think all apps are "wired into hardware".

Well, it's a little off-topic, but the super-simple explanation is that Apple puts a bunch of code (APIs) on the phone for other developers to use in their apps. However, some of it is marked "public" and some is "private". If a third-party developer gets caught using "private" code, then their app gets yanked.

On topic: I'm pretty sure I read yesterday that Apple is officially allowing any "flashlight" apps that popup a warning to the user that battery life will be "negatively affected".

gorn

Enlightened

On topic: I'm pretty sure I read yesterday that Apple is officially allowing any "flashlight" apps that popup a warning to the user that battery life will be "negatively affected".

I have the flashlight4G app. There is no pop up. It puts out plenty of light to move around a room at night. As for draining the battery, I am not stupid enough to use my phone as a primary flashlight so it isn't a problem. I have no way of testing the actual light output but it is brighter than a nichia LED and floody.

forklift

Newly Enlightened

...some of it is marked "public" and some is "private". If a third-party developer gets caught using "private" code, then their app gets yanked.

Thank you for stating this better than I could. :cool:

Last edited:

grunscga

Newly Enlightened

...it is brighter than a nichia LED and floody.

So, it's safe to say that we probably won't have a bunch of threads popping up asking: "Which iPhone strobe app is best for self-defense?"

:D

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the LED Flashlight app for my iphone 4. It is very nice if you do not have a flashlight in your pocket. I usually do but not always.

The LED flash emitter in the iphone 4 is a bright white (cool white) device that looks like it is based on a SMD plastic encased part. It would have a thermal path to the PCB. I turned on my Tri-V and adjusted the output till it roughly matched the lumens output of the phone. I would say the emitter is running on around 40mA of current. The device is mostly a directed flood with all the energy going evenly in the direction of the camera lens view.

That device is intended to run continuously for night video shooting. I would say you would have to use it for 30 minutes to an hour to make a dent on the iphone battery.

I took one of Don's McR12 reflectors and cut it down to fit the focal point of the iphone emitter. This shot was taken by the iphone itself when the "flash" was used. This is of my ceiling 5' away with the iphone laying on its back on the table. The reflector covers part of the lens so you see a big shadow over one side. The room was very dimly lit. It made a tight hot spot.

iphonereflectorphoto.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened

So, it's safe to say that we probably won't have a bunch of threads popping up asking: "Which iPhone strobe app is best for self-defense?"

:D

God, I hope not, but the app I have does have a strobe mode. I just haven't even tried it yet. Maybe it will have an SOS mode so I can signal the wife that my supply of cheetos is getting dangerously low.

adamdude04

Newly Enlightened
I think it's a great app! I'd be interested to know too how many lumens that puppy puts out.

I use the "flashlight" app all the time on my iPhone as I work night shift and naturally my schedule works around the dark..so when not at work that's when the iPhone shines. It's better than drawing my firearm with the TLR-1 attached to it.. :sick2:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my iphone 4, and guess what.....the LED is warm white!

the colour compares to my high CRI Titan

Crenshaw

Catul

Newly Enlightened
I really like the iPhone 4 LED flash - it's plenty bright for typical quick uses like lighting your way in the garage, stairs, theater aisle, looking for keys in the dark, etc. Nice floody light, maybe around 5-10 lumens right?

In any case, one usually needs a quick way to turn it on. On my jailbroken phone, I have installed SpringFlash (which has an SBSetting toggle) but even better is to use the Activator. So I pull the phone out of my pocket, hit the Home button which lights up the Lock screen, then press the Volume Down button - this toggles the LED flash on and off, works beautifully and very handy.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Curious to know around how many lumens it puts out...
Using a combination of direct and reflection lux meter readings, and comparing the same readings to lights of known lumen output, I'd roughly estimate the iPhone 4 LED is about 5 to 10 lumens in normal continuous use.

It's very roughly as bright as an Arc III AAA, but with a floodier beam.

It can be used in that continuous mode when shooting video with the iPhone. The brightness is the same when using the iPhone "Flashlight" apps which turn on the camera LED.

It briefly gets significantly brighter when used as a camera flash, but it's too brief to measure with my lux meter. I'd estimate it's about 4x brighter, which is around 40 lumens, but only for about 1/4 second.

This brighter "flash" mode is not available from any of the iPhone apps I've seen.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK im going to have to dig this thread up, I used to have ip4 but recently upgraded to and iphone 4s but didnt get a chance to do a comparison between the 2 leds.

What im hoping for is someone who has done a little research on the iphone flash and maybe a few beamshots.

Also I really dont understand how someone can estimate it at 5-10 lumens, I thought our eyes couldnt differentiate between such small differences, never mind the fact that the beam profile is all flood so it naturally seems dimmer to our eyes. The output could even be as much as 40 lumens.

Anyone with testing equipment and time to spare care to enlighten me

Illum

Flashaholic
I use the iHandy Flashlight mini in my 4S, while the light is on, there's a compass on the screen, SOS mode, and strobe with 10 separate rates...
6.3Mb, free. I'm worried about heatsink though, if the original design was exclusively flash, I'm not certain there is heatsink under that LED at all.

Illum

Flashaholic
The output of my 4S resembles that of the piranha superfluxes as opposed to... say... an XPG at 350ma, so its likely safe to assume its been driven around 100ma or less... which equates to a dramatic reduction in heatsink needs