iPhone 5 anyone?

ibcj

Enlightened
I went down to the Verizon store and hour before they opened and picked up two iPhone 5's. Coming from the iPhone 4, this phone is very fast and the camera is greatly improved. Switching to Verizon from AT&T has made a huge difference in usability. IMO it is well worth the upgrade.

flashflood

Enlightened
I went down to the Verizon store and hour before they opened and picked up two iPhone 5's. Coming from the iPhone 4, this phone is very fast and the camera is greatly improved. Switching to Verizon from AT&T has made a huge difference in usability. IMO it is well worth the upgrade.

Yeah, 4 to 5 is definitely worth it. 4S to 5, meh. I'm keeping my 4S until there's a 5S. The single-generation upgrades just don't seem worth the cost.

Shadowww

Banned
Not getting Apple this time.. can't wait until Nokia Lumia 920 gets released, just a couple months left. And it actually is packed with innovations. :)

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
Drunk post?

Anyway, looks like I'll be waiting on this one. My 4s isn't very old!

• Mobile post

Not drunk, completely serious. I don't like Apple products, and I don't like Al Gore. Not crazy about touch screens either. The only apple product in this house is an ipod my son had to have, then found out how much it sucks to have to deal with itunes. Apparenty I'm in the minority, but I'll stick with my blackberry till it croaks. Then, android maybe? But never apple.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm seeing a lot of complaints that the 5 is too light - as in "toylike", versus the 4S. This makes me wonder how Apple will cope with this in the future; materials tech is just hitting its stride, will they have to find ways to make the phone heavier?

bansuri

Enlightened
People are complaining about the anodizing scuffing. Watch for increased traffic here as google returns the countless ano threads to their "scratched anodizing" queries. Nothing new for us!
Wonder if Steve Ku plans on making some Ti iphone backs with trit slots?
Maybe strip the ano with some oven cleaner?
In knife production I have a motto that I have to remind the boss of occasionally; you can do it once safely, but can you do it 1000 times safely? That is in regards to changing production or handling procedures. I was reminded of this yesterday when I went to put my phone in my shirt pocket that wasn't there, gravity claimed it. Rubber case kept it safe.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
AI has posted their (always) excellent review of the IP5:

Here's the conclusion:

Apple satisfied the primary complaints one could make about the iPhone when comparing it against high end competitors. The company also addressed issues that nobody had identified as areas needing to be fixed. And outside of technological improvements that will result in a new model next year, it's hard to point out any significant flaws in iPhone 5.

This is why comments are being focused on the new Lightning connector and the fact that users might want to buy an adaptor or extra cables, and the new Maps app: there's simply nothing to really dislike about the phone itself.

Wrend

Enlightened
Nope. I'm more of an Android/custom PC kind of guy, but to each their own.

I picked up a Nexus 7 not long ago, but my actual cell phone is very dated and has been eligible for a free upgrade for at least a few years now. I just haven't bothered to get a new one yet. Only things I don't like about it though are the now low battery life and that it's starting to fall apart. :D

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm seeing a lot of complaints that the 5 is too light - as in "toylike", versus the 4S. This makes me wonder how Apple will cope with this in the future; materials tech is just hitting its stride, will they have to find ways to make the phone heavier?

I hope it stays light. That's one of my complaints of the 4. I do understand that people will perceive weight as in quality but in actual use lightest possible is more beneficial.
It's less likely to break in a fall(f=m*a)
In a YouTube vid they had an informal drop test vs a galaxy s3. The iPhone faired better.

Wrend

Enlightened
It's less likely to break in a fall(f=m*a)

That might be the case here (not sure), but if the additional weight is in protective reinforcement and padding, then probably not.

My ideal cell phone would run on 3 loose (non-pack) AAs instead of a proprietary Li-ion cell, so I could use Eneloops in it and never have to wait for the phone to charge.

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used t' find weights glued into corded phones all the time.. but I wouldnt want that extra weight in a portable, crash energy and all..

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sitting on the fence on the iPhone 5. There appears to be some rattling problems. I hope they will be resolved.

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
No rattling with mine, though I see some have reported it. Loving my 5. Definitely a great upgrade from my 4.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I used t' find weights glued into corded phones all the time.. but I wouldnt want that extra weight in a portable, crash energy and all..

Right, but the materials will continue to get lighter while the components get smaller; it's only a matter of time before a standard-sized phone is the weight of hollow cardboard and has empty spaces in it. This makes me wonder, since we're moving the visual interface to the eye (Google Glasses) and the audio interface to the ear (Bluetooth), if we're going to move the hardware to the wrist and go back to the smartwatch idea (and it's rumored that Apple is considering a wristwatch-specific iPod device..)

Norm

Retired Administrator
I am sitting on the fence on the iPhone 5. There appears to be some rattling problems. I hope they will be resolved.

Non of the reported problems with mine, perfect out of the box a great improvement on my I4.

Norm

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I am sitting on the fence on the iPhone 5.

With Apple stuff, especially 'i' stuff, the worry of picking up a defective inversely correlates to your proximity to an Apple store.

They are (historically) empowered to fix or replace physical issues on the spot.