Is anyone else annoyed at the proliferation of side-button flashlights?

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer side switch as long as it is designed well..either elevated or recessed[SC62] where the switch is easy to find.:D

ohh yaaa,,,,I have a Fenix PD12vn. A side switch which was very difficult to feel and locate. I put some crazy glue on top of the switch to raise it a bit! It was meticulous work! One slip and I glue my switch shut!

I should NOT have to do that! The switch is easy to feel/find and works well now!

PD12vn.jpg

PD12_VN1.jpg

You can buy tiny rubber feet that are self adhesive and i haves seen them in black or clear, and they are not very expensive to buy.

John.

Just an example below, it might be better to glue them on.

NYNVRej.png

Light Bug

Newly Enlightened
I prefer one or the other. Still not sure why having TWO switches is better. Just seems to give the manufacturers more reasons for more modes. Most do not need strobe of any type. Not saying it is useless but IMHO it is put on models to increase "perceived" usefulness and the majority of people do not use it. Anything more that 4 modes makes the UI to much. Do people really (most people) need more than 4 modes from a flashlight? Give me one switch or the other and do it well and I will be happy.

Capolini

Banned
You can buy tiny rubber feet that are self adhesive and i haves seen them in black or clear, and they are not very expensive to buy.

John.

Just an example below, it might be better to glue them on.

NYNVRej.png

I will keep that in mind next time. A safer alternative. No risk w/ gluing the switch shut!

I must say my job turned out very well! It looks like a perfect dome. Similar looking to one of the ones[standard] you have in your display.:D

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very much prefer a clicky tail cap. I do have 1 light that has a side switch, but it is illuminated, so it is easy to see. (Quark Smart.)

deye223

Newly Enlightened
for me small light like a LL p7 or convoy c8 tale switch but on the bigger lights like my convoy L6 it should just have a side switch

straightShot

Newly Enlightened
I hate side switches. I wish that I didn't have so many flashlights with them! They're hard to find in the dark, hard to activate quickly with gloves on in the extreme cold, and I HATE accidentally pushing the side switch and activating a horrible strobe light.

wweiss

Enlightened
I love side switches - one hand operation - when your hand memorizes the hold orientation so thumb finds the button. Very efficient...

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I strongly preferred tail switches until I got into zebralights. They are designed such that I can find the switch very quickly even in the dark and such that when I pull it off the pocket it's clipped to my thumb is right there.

I was a diehard twisty switch fan, exclusively, until first introduced to Zebralight with the SC5w. Now all I want is the Zebralight TC5c, but they are never ever in stock.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been disappointed with most of my Chinese electronic switch side clickies... (Zebras, Olights, Armytek, Thrunite, etc.). UI failures/lock-ups, parasitic drain, accidental activations, slow UIs, non-working functions, and all pretty badly exaggerated specs.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old fasion rear mechanical switch wont give paracitic drain on the battery. Some say you can lock out the light and just untwist the tailcap. Yeah sure, but then you got a "twistyclicky", harder to avtivate than the twisty, and clicky :)
In small lights i dont like it. Like the olight, hard to find the button. But i think that might be a design issue.
But in long ligths, or really thick ones a sideswitch is all good. So for me it really depends on size and design if i like it or not.

I feel pretty much the same. I love the side switch on the Olight R50, but I'm not a fan of the S1A's side switch at all... too small and doesn't protrude enough. Side switches are great on larger lights, but I still love a tail clicky on my small lights. I understand why many or most small lights are twistys, but the tail switch on my Aeon Mk. lll is one of the main reasons why it's by far my favorite edc.

CrashedWindows95

Newly Enlightened
I like both, to be honest. I have 2 old Maglites that have some C or D cells in it (can't remember which). The handle is quite long, but the side switch on there is nice because you can hold the light in reverse grip and still activate it since it's big and easy to press.

My Olight S2R (when it's operational) has a side switch too. I have the pocket clip rotated so it doesn't activate the switch in my back pocket (which has succeeded) and so I know where the switch is (with respect to the clip). So once I find the clip, I know where the switch is.

I have a cheapy flashlight with a tail switch that works fine. However, it would prove to be an issue for me if I carry a tail switch flashlight as I prefer to carry with the lens up, instead of down.