Is My Fenix P3D Obsolete?

Confederate

Enlightened
I was digging around in some of my "old" lights that I've never used and found three Fenix P3D flashlights with a red filter. I'd lost them years ago, now I've found them. Are they obsolete? By obsolete I mean are all the runtimes out of date? They were great lights when I first bought them, but now I'm thinking they may be passe.

Can they use rechargeable 123As? I'm presently using an LD2 as my EDC with rechargable Eneloop batteries. The LD2s are pretty horrible with alkalines, but work well with rechargeable batteries. The P3D lights are beauties, especially the titanium colored ones.

Thanks!

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Antiquated yes, obsolete no. I still love mine. Surefire still uses XR-Es. I read somewhere that you can use some rechargeables but not sure which ones. To be safe you can try a 17670

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obsolete no more like slightly out of date by CPF standards but still brighter than most light's people buy in stores. They just dropped a newer emitter in and added some knurling and it became the PD30 then PD31 so the PD models were not a revaluation but instead just a 70-80 lumen brighter P3D that was not as slippery when wet. Also those P3D's has equal if not even slightly more throw than the fairly recent PD30 R4, so again I don't think there obsolete at all there are just P3D's with some slight upgrades if you call a XP-G and knurling a improvement I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3D will run on RCR123's or a 17670 but will lose Turbo on the 17670.

mbw_151

Enlightened
It is only obsolete if you think it is. If you a flashaholic, it is probably obsolete. There are newer emitters, UIs and body designs. If you are recovering, then it isn't unless it no longer works. As far as I know darkness has not been vanquished.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps it can be upgraded? I dunno if the P3D's head is as tough to open as my old L1S (which I have, in fact, never managed to crack open despite repeated tries... thanks a bunch, Fenix), but if it can be opened that emitter could be swapped for a XP-G - though the beam shape would probably change.

GreySave

Enlightened
I don't believe they are obsolete at all. Those, and all other lights still do the same job as they did when you first purchased them. I still carry mine when I need a really small light. They are as dependable today as when purchased new.

Confederate

Enlightened
They make enough light. By "obsolete" I mean do they still use batteries in a way that is efficient? I'm not after lights that are brighter; I'm looking for lights that efficiently use battery power. Many new lights feature moonlight modes that really make their lights attractive. I rarely pump up a light to full throttle power because I don't need it, but I more often use it to read by while my wife sleeps. Rechargeables make this easier, of course, but as a survival light newer lights are clearly more efficient. And Surefire is, in my view, is way behind the times. I've got the old G2, which is amazingly still being sold. I still love mine, but Amazon's selling it for $59, which is just a few dollars cheaper than what I paid for my Olight M20 Warrior! It's got one mode and is 65 lumens.

One thing I miss dearly from Fenix is its old "Olive" finish. And although the Quark 123 light by 4Sevens is a more efficient light than my old P3D, my P3D clearly is a classier piece. In short, I think while the Q123 is a more efficient light it clearly doesn't have the beauty and elegance in it. In short, there's no elegance, beauty or class in the Q123. That's why it's a shame to get rid of the P3D or relegate it to the "drawer." Like I said, I still carry the Fenix L2D as my EDC. It takes two rechargeable AA batteries and fits my hand very nicely. It also has that beautiful olive finish.

What I worry about is using two CR123A batteries (in the P3D) when I could use one in some other flashlight for the same runtimes.

H-nu

Enlightened
I "found" my P3D OD green light and realized just how much I missed it. Perfect size and with the OP reflector has a nice useful beam. I rarely used it on turbo so as far as output is concerned it still satisfies my needs.

I really like the hex shape of the older Fenix bodies, very sexy! :)

Has anyone machined a pocket clip for this light? I know there are open ring type clips that slip over the body but I prefer a more solid point of contact. That would be ultra cool.

Happy New Year everyone!

Cheers,
Chris

snakyjake

Enlightened
What is the P3D?
I use my PD3 every day. I like the cylinder shape for pocket, great runtime, and excellent output. My next light I'll get a single cell, instead of multiple.

snakyjake

Enlightened
lol....you're right...I have the P3D. I went to Fenix's site and saw they have a PD30. I always though it was the newer version I have, by adding the zero.

CandleLite

Newly Enlightened
Flashlights do become obsolete eventually but when that happens is subjective I believe. I have a P2D as my handy dandy go to light and I use it 5 or 6 times a week generally for short periods. I have had it for about 8 years, along with others of course, and still think it is great. It is small, has good levels and is bright enough for 90% of my requirements. As long as 123's are available it is not obsolete but rather a older technology that still has use.

No need to add to the landfill!

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's still a really nice light imo. I like xre led. I like using primaries. In the dark it does the job. I would put it in garage or boiler room where you can really use a light sometimes. Behind the tv? A coat pocket you use sometimes? Somewhere where you really would use it sometimes. You could even contribute it with some batteries to a local charity or church.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends which P3D you have. Is it the P3D CE, P3D Q5 etc. They will take 16340 cells with no problems.

The Q5 version is fine and I still have mine, although i moded it with an XP-G2 S2