Japanese Vs Chinese Eneloop Cycle Testing Results

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the Chinese Eneloops have only half the number of cycles as the Japanese ones! That's pathetic production standards or quality control.

Or they don't have the same technology behind the original Eneloop and that the FDK cell is still a closely guarded secret.

I don't think it is a quality or production issue, they are just not the same cell. The Chinese eneloop is similar to all the other cheap LSD cells that come out of the place. More voltage sag, quicker rise in internal resistance.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco Canada (on-line) has Eneloops on sale this week. They list them as 2100 cycles and 70% after 5 years. I think this means they're the Japanese ones (the Chinese ones have 65% on the package). I ordered a bunch, so crossing my fingers they have the description right. Might be one of the last chances to get real Eneloops before they all get made in China.

Sarratt

Enlightened
Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my order today. They are indeed still made in Japan (written on the battery wrapper). Model numbers BK3MCCA and BK4MCCA (AA and AAA respectively). Manufactured March 2014. So, it looks like they're still making them in Japan, at least earlier this year. :)

ChibiM

Enlightened
Yes, 4th gen were already being sold in Japan since April 2013. But only started to being available overseas from about May 2014. At that time (2013)they produced 2 versions along each other. Now the whole production has moved to the latest generation.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed that Amazon Basics LSD batteries are still labeled as Made In Japan, and have the Eneloop type button with the side holes.

My 4th gen don't seem to have any vent holes.

I'm not sure what gen the Amazon ones are, but the specs indicate they are gen 1. Probably not that old, but maybe gen 2?

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 4th gen don't seem to have any vent holes.

I'm not sure what gen the Amazon ones are, but the specs indicate they are gen 1. Probably not that old, but maybe gen 2?

I don't have vent holes either on my set which are dated April and May of this year. Unless he took the wrapper off there is no way to tell where the vent holes are located.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Ok so I havent bought batteries in over a year and now I find out this when I go looking. But I'm confused, amazon still indicates both thier white and black amazon basics AAs are made in Japan. Are they lying? Will they say made in China when they actually come? I assume if the product does not match the description a return can be made at no cost to me anyhow right?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
DIΩDΣ;4558699 said:
Ok so I havent bought batteries in over a year and now I find out this when I go looking. But I'm confused, amazon still indicates both thier white and black amazon basics AAs are made in Japan. Are they lying? Will they say made in China when they actually come? I assume if the product does not match the description a return can be made at no cost to me anyhow right?
I recently ordered & rec'd a good quantity of Eneloops via Amazon and was happy to see that they were still Japan-mfg.
However, depending on which company is actually fulfilling the Amazon order, returns could range from easy to very challenging - I have been very unimpressed with the business practices of some.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
DIΩDΣ;4558699 said:

White 2000 mAh and black 2500 mAh Amazon Basics all say made in Japan. Black 2000 mAh Amazon Basics, the cheapies, are Chinese. Some Amazon listings do not say so you need to check the questions and answers area to get the where made info.

ChibiM

Enlightened
I think the easiest way is to search for the text: "Made in Japan" or "Made in China" ;)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he was joking. Every generation of Eneloop I have has "Made in Japan" written on it. Gen 1 through Gen 4.

I don't think he was joking.

This thread was started because Panasonic has started selling Eneloop branded cells made in China.

Unless you're purchasing local where you can inspect the cells, you may or may not get Japanese manufactured cells.

My local Walmart doesn't stick Eneloops, but I can order them thru the store from one of their suppliers. Until they get them in, there's no way to know what your going to receive.

There are no stores local to me that stocks and sells Eneloops. I can drive an hour away, but with the interweb, why?

I get most of my Eneloops from Illumn when on sale.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think he was joking.

This thread was started because Panasonic has started selling Eneloop branded cells made in China.

Unless you're purchasing local where you can inspect the cells, you may or may not get Japanese manufactured cells.

My local Walmart doesn't stick Eneloops, but I can order them thru the store from one of their suppliers. Until they get them in, there's no way to know what your going to receive.

Yes, but he said:

Seriously though.. it should be written on the battery.

Which is exactly what Eneloops have always had written on them. I dunno... I figured he must have been joking around.

I agree that ordering on-line appears to be hit & miss now, without being able to see the battery label. Luckily, Costco is still selling the Japanese ones (on-line).

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone post photos of white 4th gen Eneloops Made In Japan vs. white 4th gen Eneloops Made In China?

Some photo material would be very helpful in this thread and discussion :rolleyes: