Jetbeam Jet 3M Pro - 2014 (XP-L, 1x18650, 2x(R)CR123A) Review

SinagAraw

Newly Enlightened
Nice review Candle Lamp! I have a question though, does this Jetbeam 3M pro has a voltage indicator? Just like the flashlights of today - 2015/2016, that they have a voltage indicator when you turn it on or something like it flashes several times when you insert the battery? I am looking for a good tactical flashlight but with latest LED and circuitry but with a reasonable price like this. For me 2014 production is quite old. Thank you in advance... :eek:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review Candle Lamp! I have a question though, does this Jetbeam 3M pro has a voltage indicator? Just like the flashlights of today - 2015/2016, that they have a voltage indicator when you turn it on or something like it flashes several times when you insert the battery? I am looking for a good tactical flashlight but with latest LED and circuitry but with a reasonable price like this. For me 2014 production is quite old. Thank you in advance... :eek:

This light doesn't have a voltage indicator you mentioned. You can find other several lights have a voltage indicator though.

Welcome to CPF. SinagAraw! :welcome:

SinagAraw

Newly Enlightened
This light doesn't have a voltage indicator you mentioned. You can find other several lights have a voltage indicator though.

Welcome to CPF. SinagAraw! :welcome:

Thank you for your reply Candle Lamp. I appreciate that! :twothumbs

I already ordered this 3M Pro through my friend in Bangkok a few days ago. I just grabbed the opportunity to buy and hand it to me personally rather than get loss in the postal service here in Morroco ;). I think i can live without the voltage indicator. Anyways, I will just use it in going to and from work coz i walk most of the times in dark alleys when i work during night shift. I just need something for self defense. I hope i will never use the crenelated bezel on someone's face :shakehead.

Besides i need a tactical thrower due to an incident when i encountered a herd of wild boars (more or less 20+ wild boars including their piglets) crossing my path while trail running during the night. I thought they were some sheep or goats from a distance. I can only see their silhouettes. The flashlight i used with me was the Jetbeam H10A. It has a very good flood beam but it failed to identify what was ahead of me about 50 meters plus. I have a poor eyesight during night time.

Well, anyway i let them cross my pathway first when i figured out it wasn't a herd of sheep or goats crossing but unfortunately i still came across with them on the next choke point on the other bank of the stream! LoL!!! My H10A flashlight failed me again because this time the leader of the herd which around a meter tall i estimated, was very closed to me when it showed up from the bushes. I could have spotted them if i have a good thrower flashlight because the dry stream is about 70-100 meters distance from above the bank where i was and it was very dark. I only heard the dogs barking.

Well enough for my flashlight adventure. This is another reason i need a good tactical thrower flashlight - for distant identification of "something" in the dark.

Back to the flashlight again, I wonder how strong is the contact point between the battery and the LED. Have you tried testing it? I think this could break with a very hard impact. I haven't seen any video doing such test . They only dropped it from a 3rd floor but with different Jetbeam model. Of course it could have landed sideways so LED board is still intact. What about smashing it on a car window or other hard surface using the crenelated bezel? Do you think it would break?

I don't like side-switches flashlights. What I'd like with the 3m vs Olight M23 is the 1 Lumen on the lowest mode just for versatility... and, also the price, J3M Pro is cheaper.

By the way, you have a very detailed and good review on this flashlight. Thanks again.

Cheers,

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how strong is the contact point between the battery and the LED. Have you tried testing it? I think this could break with a very hard impact. I haven't seen any video doing such test . They only dropped it from a 3rd floor but with different Jetbeam model. Of course it could have landed sideways so LED board is still intact. What about smashing it on a car window or other hard surface using the crenelated bezel? Do you think it would break?
Cheers,

Thanks for your support. SinagAraw!

I haven't tried testing the light to see how strong the contact point between them. But I like the light that has a aluminum reflector, thick glass lens and thick specific shaped ring covers the circumference of the lens between the bezel and reflector. Also I like the light has a raised contact spring in the head and tailcap. I think these prevent the lens breaking easily and protect the batteries from the impact in the light.

The crenelated bezel can be used as a car window breaker with enough force in some cases, but the light lens may shatter as well. If you need a car window breaker for escaping from the car, I recommend the RESQME (keychain car escape tool). :)

SinagAraw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your support. SinagAraw!

If you need a car window breaker for escaping from the car, I recommend the RESQME (keychain car escape tool). :)

Wow cool tool! I would get several of those. Not expensive but very effective in case of emergency. Thank you for sharing this. And thank you for the reply too!:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs.

I had already ordered the 3M Pro. Anyways, i really appreciate your good review and quick reply. Thank you very much!!!

"Have an enlightened path!"

Cheers,

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
update-I gave away the 3M Pro to a good friend in desperate need of a great light. That being said my "retro finish" 3M Pro should be here any day now and cannot wait. Have red Efest 18350's at the ready

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought both the retro finish 3M Pro and red eFest 18350's at batteryjunction.com. I cannot really put into words how nice the retro finish is. Using 2x18350 for the full 1100 lumens while still having a bit more capacity than 2x16340's. Sometimes Ill just stick a 18650 GA in the light as run time on max with an 18650 is over 3 times what it is using 2xsources. Must note that the retro finish 3M Pro came in a very nice box with an exclusive feel instead of the blister pack the standard light comes in. I am greatly pleased.

lewie2s

Newly Enlightened
Does the Jet 3M Pro have the IBS, or "Infinite Brightness System" like the Jet III Pro and the Jet III M?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the 3M Pro thread lives!! I have 2 of these one regular finish and the retro finish version. Both of them are above average lights it is still one of the best lights Jetbeam makes. Both of mine have seen lots of use and both still work as well as they did new. I do power them both off 2x18350's AW 800mah button tops. Ive been collecting lights for almost 21 years now and I never heard of any "Infinite Brightness System". I just know that when the stellar AW 18350's drop below a certain voltage the lights will not attain max mode that or you click them on and they only come on in one low output setting. That is when I know it is time to recharge the hard to find AW cells. I have tried everything in these 2 lights from the latest 3500mah 10 amp 18650s, 2xCR123, 2xRCR123, 2x18350 and when I finally found a source for the latest and legit AW IMR 18350 cells I jumped on it and bought a dozen. The AW 18350's really hit the spot. No they do not have the capacity of an 18650 but they do have more capacity than any CR123 or RCR123 that I know of and they do not rattle around inside the light like the other two cell types. The AW cells drive the light perfectly. The retro finish version 3M Pro is amazing. The retro finish blew me away it is so good.

NO-do NOT use the 3M Pro as dive lights. There are many other lights that are purpose built dive lights aplenty on top of lights like Armytek's IP68 rated lights. Some of them are rated for depths of up to 50 meters...

lewie2s

Newly Enlightened
Great review candle lamp. I just ordered one, along with a couple Panasonic 18650 flat tops. I see in the review that flat tops should work, but can anyone confirm? Thanks.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk about a thread back from the dead wow! I have since LOST my original 3M Pro and just have the newer "restored" finish version. Restored..hmm does not sound right. Will have to look at what JB called the finish again. The bronze like looking finish 3M Pro. JB did an astoundingly good job on the finish of my copy. I could easily tell somebody the light is made of bronze that has aged and developed a patina and get away with it. Been using 2xfresh AW 18350 button top cells in the light I believe since I originally read through this thread. Oh...YES flat top cells will work. Unless JB suddenly redesigned the battery contact at the head of the light from the protruding metal contact there to something else you are good to go....

Last edited:

Vulturex

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to mention which many will consider a con and that is its PWM mode. PWM is always seen in low cost flashlights I wonder why they could have done this. Anyways it a looks durable and high quality flashlight.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
It uses PWM? I have NEVER been able to tell! I still have my Retro finish 3M Pro. Still use it. It does quite well on whatever cells I put in it really. I have since gotten the new Jet IIIM XHP35. To be honest I like my XP-L 3M Pro Retro better. For some reason no matter what fresh and freshly charged cells I put in the new supposedly 1400 lumen Jet IIIM XHP35 it actually seems a touch dimmer than my old 3M Pro. Strange! The new light is also a good bit longer than the 3M Pro. Not sure why. Kind of let down by the new light. The Retro finish on my old 3M Pro is still one of the nicest I have ever seen.

I also wonder why Jetbeam would settle for PWM in their "premium" lights. Kinda lame. Still if somebody had not said anything I would have never have known! Oh..and NO DIVING WITH THIS LIGHT. Yes it is built VERY well but it is NOT a DIVING light. The head rotating UI kind of kills that option. It is still yet another Jetbeam that must have some of the thickest aluminum I have really seen in much any other brand. My SRA40 still cranks just as hard and well as when I got it YEARS ago. The SRA40 feels like the aluminum is near a quarter inch thick and about as heavy as that would be lol!