JETBeam R5 Emitter light owners, please respond!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...I've been "on the fence" for a while now about maybe purchasing either an RRT-2 or a Jet III M, newer version with the XP-G R5 emitter. I'm leaning towards the Jet III M, but the RRT-2 looks pretty sweet also! My dilemna is this: I haven't been able to find much of anything as far as the beam quality of these lights is concerned. When the RRT-0 with the XP-G R5 came out, I read a lot of criticism as far as the donut hole in the beam is concerned, but I haven't seen much of any input as far as how the "new" reflector version's beam quality is. Bottom line: I HATE a beam with a donut hole...it does nothing short of drive me up a freakin' wall, even in "real world" use.

To those of you who have an RRT-0, an RRT-2, or a Jet III M with an XP-G R5 emitter, can you tell me how the beam quality and throw are? Is there a donut hole, and if so, how pronounced is it? Thanx in advance for any and all responses!

PJD

Ventzy

Newly Enlightened
New models JetBeam/R5 are contradictory and definitely a step backwards. RRT/2 makes the impression of much cheaper than the oldest model. JET IIIM, however, is the same as mechanics, only changed LED-a. Using LED's with such a low CRI, long ago I had not seen. Light gray, no colors ...

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want JB's light
you might want to know more about it's preflash problem
esp. the rrt0
i was about to buy it but ive heard about its preflash so i just cleared my mind not to buy it

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
There's several threads on the dark spot in RRT-0 R5s; do a search. You'd be better off skipping the R5, IMHO.

JetBeam sent me a "new for the RRT-0 R5" OP reflector for mine and it is definitely better (no dark spot) but the reflector does not fit properly. It sits too high in the head and the bezel only screws in 3/4 turn, leaving a 1.3mm gap between the head and the bezel flange. The lens rests directly on the reflector and the o-ring does nothing now, compromising the water resistance of the light.

Others have mentioned this and I'm now in agreement: JetBeam doesn't seem to care about beam quality (rings, donut holes, dark spots).

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
one light that has an amazingly nice, even, smooth beam is an Electrolumens EDC-MCE. It is, as all MCE's are, a floody beam - but since it puts out so much light, it can reach out also. They are starting to show up on BST because Wayne is selling them at 3 for $300.

This thread in the Electrolumens forum has some outdoor beamshots vs. some high priced lights.

Thrifty

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Others have mentioned this and I'm now in agreement: JetBeam doesn't seem to care about beam quality (rings, donut holes, dark spots).
Jetbeam is one of the most arrogant light manufacter.
they thought they are the only 1 who produces high quality tac lights.
same price with surefire, lower quality and customer service.
and they dont even allow group ordering from people
jetbeam is already in my blacklist ever since the preflash thing (including the :scowl: customer service)

KnOeFz

Enlightened
I just received my JET-III M with R5 led, no donut hole here. A little bit ringy beam because of the smooth reflector but it's an AWESOME light .

Oh, I almost forgot the best part.... it's BRIGHT! :devil:

jaws revenge

Newly Enlightened
i have a rrt-0 r5, with the 'hybrid' reflector. looks like a smo to me.

good throw, decent spill. 'white ish' beam, not really warm.

definite donut hole.

actually, about the same hole as my g5 (with the new ui).

not that big of deal, in the sense that i'm not returning either. but yeah, the hole isn't preferable.

i'd really be interested in an op reflector for the rrt-0.

yowzer

Enlightened
RRT-0 R5.

There's a hole, but I only notice it on white walls. In real world use, it's a complete non-issue. Pretty good throw. I can light up objects probably 100 yards away on the highest two levels.

My complaint about the beam is the distinctly blueish tint. It's okay in an urban setting, but in a more woodsy setting, it makes all the greens look washed out and I hate it. Should probably get one of the NW XR-E versions while they're still available for that setting...

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my JET-III M with R5 led, no donut hole here. A little bit ringy beam because of the smooth reflector but it's an AWESOME light .

Oh, I almost forgot the best part.... it's BRIGHT! :devil:

I just read and posted a reply in your Jet III M R5 thread, and took a look at Tito's beam shot in the same thread; JETBeam may have gotten it right with this one! Two posters in the same thread with a Jet III M R5 and NO DONUT HOLE :faint: The Jet III M R5 is definitely gonna be my next purchase! Thanx for the responses, guys!

PJD

Latest posts