• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

June Wave of LunaSol 20's **SOLD**

jblackwood

Enlightened
Re: June Wave of LunaSol 20's

Reading about it is one thing. actually having it in your hand is truly a different experience. The clip on my BB light is so gorgeous. I'm glad I snagged a shiny one too . . . I would have always wondered otherwise! I never realized how much I'd like a purely flood beam profile. That low is a precious gift to all flashaholics from the master himself. Thank you so much, Don. I love them both.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Received my LS20 today, another piece of art Don, many thanks!

-Mayo

(Give me a holler if my family hasn't sent you a check by now):poke:

Edit: Just spoke with my parents in Kauai, check is going out on 6/30. Sorry for the delay Don.:tsk:

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Don, small question. I did a little digging around, and you stated back in May 08 that the LunaSol used the 500 mA version of the Golden Dragon. Has that changed to the 1000 mA version? Just curious because I was looking around on the Osram website, and it looks more like the 1000 mA version here, and not like the 500 mA version.

Incidentalist

Enlightened

Heck yeah! Got my first McGizmo today (if you don't count the Ti Arc). So much better in person. Now I must resist the urge to immediately add more to the collection.

It was defininately hard to finish up work today knowing that my light was awaiting me when I got home.

Thanks Don!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Th232,
I can't recall all of the details but there was something about these LED's being the higher current type but not actually qualfied as such when they were shipped. I was told that they were capable of higher current than their spec, as based on the part number. I didn't pay much attention because I gathered that I wasn't driving them even close to their max. I got these from a friend in Japan who has a good relationship with Osram and they were shipped to So. CA where they were solder flowed on custom MCPCB's.

NelsonLin

Newly Enlightened

Email sent, Thanks:)
Hope to get my first McGizmo's flashlight.

dhshark

Newly Enlightened

Don & fellow CPF's

I read the reviews and questioned my purchase of such an expensive light but after playing with the Lunasol 20 last night I have to say that I made the right choice for me and my purposes. This is a well made, fantastic flashlight and I wanted to chime in and say "Thanks" to Don for his creation! Keep up the good work and I'm hoping to add to my collection. This is now my 'at home' EDC flashlight. I just wish I could have bought the BB LS20 before it sold out.

Dennis

LawLight

Enlightened

Excellent remarks, Dennis. I too must chime in. This purchase was my first McGizmo light, and although I was looking forward to receiving such a quality piece of workmanship, the excellent reviews by JS and Yaesumofo prepared me for the "working" nature of the light. I received my LS20 yesterday, and all I can say is WOW. The light will truly become a workhorse tool for me. It is robust enough to be durable, small enough to be easily carried, and simply put, the 2 stage output is functional enough to satisfy my needs 98% of the time. I run a side business of raising and selling corn snakes, and the low light level is perfect for checking on our eggs as they incubate. The high is excellent for making sure the 12' Boa is where she's supposed to be before I reach into her habitat. :eek:

All in all, this light is everything I had hoped it would be, and I'm sure as I use the light more and more, I will find more and more reasons why this light was the best choice. I realize how fortunate we are to have someone like Don to create such pieces of functional art for us.

Thanks, Don, and please keep up the good work.

LawLight

saabgoblin

Enlightened

Aloha Don,

Truly a fantastic light in both form and function, a synthesis of many of my favorite lights rolled up into one, I couldn't be happier unless I was in Maui.:D

Mahalo

Robert

Incidentalist

Enlightened

Anybody else who just got the LunaSol 20 as their first McGizmo feeling the urge to immediately find the bigger brother LunaSol 27 to keep it company? I went from no McGizmos, to one and now the need to get at least one more. :ohgeez:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad that all the new owners are happy with their new light!

I went camping last weekend and even though I brought 5 different lights I really only used my LS20 . It was absolutely perfect. The low did the majority of the work but having quick access to the high for farther distances was great. Hope those still waiting will be as happy!

I'mGatMan!

Newly Enlightened

Anybody else who just got the LunaSol 20 as their first McGizmo feeling the urge to immediately find the bigger brother LunaSol 27 to keep it company? I went from no McGizmos, to one and now the need to get at least one more. :ohgeez:

I actually did JUST that. I got my 1st LS20 the day my daughter was born, then shortly thereafter grabbed a 27 thinking the 20 would be my EDC and the 27 my nightstand light.

Truthfully, the 20 is ALL the light you will need. That thing is just the best light I've ever held for all-purpose use. The 27 is a FANTASTIC light as well, but because of the 27mm head loses some of it's carry versatility. As a backyard, trail light the 27 is perfection, but I believe the 20 is the perfect light for most general users.

My advice: use the 20 for a while and figure out what else you might need/want from a light before buying anything else.

Of course, that is, you just WANT them both. In that case, :poke:

DO IT!!! :devil:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
I am always concerned when a wave is launched and new users are getting some of my lights. I never know if the expectations will exceed the reality and it's a bummer when someone is disappointed. Your comments are quite comforting and thanks! :bow:

In regards to the LunaSOl 27, I really like the light and it was the first LunaSol. I personally like the looks and feel of the 27 head and I do like the Cree behind the McR-17 XR reflector embedded in the LS 27 head. But I realized that the 27 was too large to be accepted by many as an EDC and with pressure from many (I won't single out Bernie here) I accepted the challange of designing a LunaSol 20 which would be a better EDC package (carry wise). To do both LunaSol's would have been too much work and frankly not enough difference between them to justify. I opted for the 20 and then proceeded to find Murphy at every turn during its process. :green:

I didn't want to abandon the Cree/CR17 package but with the advent of the 3S converter, I felt that the Haiku was a better solution with emphasis on outside and extended range than even the LunaSol 27 and especially when you factor in the "C" of EDC. I think the beam of the XR-17 is one of the most successful "throw" type beams on low level output and this by virtue of its concentration of light in the spill portion of the beam and the fact that the spot is not sharply delineated with an obvious drop and contrast in intensity at its perimeter. (I think of the beam from the XR-17 as more of a ram or concentrated flood of light than a classic throw) A more successful collimated beam on low output seems to leave you with a low level spot and essentially nothing beyond. For example, I think the Haiku on low is a more useful beam than the PD-S beam on low. I realize that many really like the PD-S and my comments are of a subjective nature where the value, if not truth, is in the eyes of the beholder and for them to decide.

Personally, I now always have a Sapphire handy for back up or when bare minimum is all I am concerned with. I alternate between the LunaSol 20 and Haiku for a more substantial and versatile light to carry. When I know I want flood ahead of time, I grab a SunDrop 3S. I still have some lights with greater flux and lux but I don't need them very often and I have access to them when I do. We all have different applications and needs and we can best maximize our utility from lights by understanding our particular needs and approaching them realistically.

I admit that my designs and offerings are heavily based on my personal priorities and may not jibe with the priorities of others at all. However to the extent we may share in interests and desire, you can hopefully appreciate the fact that I have done what I can to approach those targets effectively and appropriately as compromises are made. :shrug:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

LS20 arrived. Had a bit of a scare as the package was a bit bashed and had been put in one of those "we're sorry your package was damaged" bags by the Post Office.

Fortunately, there was no damage to the light inside.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup I know the feeling! I've been EDCing a LS27 for over a year and I find the larger head to be manageable, however my new LS20 has that classic PD feel that everyone keeps raving about. Both will get loads of carry time alongside my SPY & Sapphire. :)

-Mayo

MKLight

Enlightened

As I've been waiting for the Wave and reading this thread, I'm getting more and more envious! I'm glad the Wave is here, but was hoping it would come a little later. I'm currently unemployed and was hoping to catch this Wave...I hope Don continues to make this or some sort of dual light. I love my Sapphire and will eventually get the Lunasol 20...I'm enjoying learning more about it and hearing everyone's comments, including the man himself!

Thank you,
MK