Just a word on the L5

hburner

Enlightened
I know that the L5 or the KL5 are supposed to be "regulated" but I can tell a lux of difference between 2 and 3 cells.

When I use the L5 as intended it has good through and I like all that it gives.

But when I put the KL5 on my C3, WHOA!! Big difference!! It will through at least 25 more yards easily!!!

Just for this I purchased one of those extenders from John @ Lighthound and run it on 3 cells, well 2 17500s, all the time, with 40 minute runtime at great output and diminishing thereafter.

Just thought that I would get that Off my mind!!!!

Last edited:

pyro

Enlightened
The L4 nd L5 have only a step up converter, that means a Voltage higher than the Vf of the LED results in direct drive or much higher currents to through the LED.
L4 and L5 are not intended to use with 3 cells!
This may (will) damage the LED and/or the regulator.

The L6 and KL1 can take 3 cells, not sure on the KL2 and KL3.

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
The KL3 will also run on three cells . The KL4 and KL5 are rated for 6 Volt max !

I wouldent do it . Thats to great of a risk IMHO . I bought a L5 about a month ago and I realy like it . Brighter and farther throwing than my U2 on high .

Kenny

hburner

Enlightened
I called and asked SF about it and they said that it was fine to run the KL5 on 3 cells and that it would not void the warranty. As long as they tell me that I am going to push it with 3 cells and let them worry about the outcome, if he had told me not to run it on three cells then I would be a fool to continue to do so. But the output is so great and with them standing behind it I am going to LUM on!

IF, let us pray not, but IF anything were to happen I will post and let all know. Thanks guys.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
hburner said:
I called and asked SF about it and they said that it was fine to run the KL5 on 3 cells and that it would not void the warranty. As long as they tell me that I am going to push it with 3 cells and let them worry about the outcome, if he had told me not to run it on three cells then I would be a fool to continue to do so. But the output is so great and with them standing behind it I am going to LUM on!

IF, let us pray not, but IF anything were to happen I will post and let all know. Thanks guys.

Unless they re-designed the circuit, 3 cells is bad juju for the KL5. SF has been known to give out faulty information. Do you have an ammeter to measure current draw? The current draw from 3 cells *will* be the LED current if it's the same circuit I tested when they came out. There's a schottky diode in the step up converter and it is also rated at 1A. You may be overdriving both the schottky AND the LED if you measure more than 1A from 3 cells.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorky1 said:
Under accessories on the Surefire C3 page they list the KL5 and KL3 heads. So what's the correct answer? :thinking:

As I said, Surefire's been known to make mistakes sometimes. :D

Edited to add: I wonder if they confused the KL3 and KL5. Heck I confused an L2 and KL2 just the other day. Back on topic, the KL3 can take 3 cells, the KL5 can take two last time I checked which was a long time ago.

hburner

Enlightened
When I called I remember who I spoke to so I am going to call again and get a different tech. and see if they say the same thing. I may even record it so when they say that it is under warranty with the C3 and if it does screw something up I will have proof that I was told it was OK.

Just as stated befor though it does say on the website and in the catalog that the KL5 is an upgrade for the C3. So I do not see how they could back out of fixing anything that may go wrong.

And with the throw that I am getting with this setup I wonder what the correct lumen output really is? I would say its over 100 easy compared to my C3 with the P90.

Sierra_Bill

Newly Enlightened
hburner said:
When I called I remember who I spoke to so I am going to call again and get a different tech. and see if they say the same thing. I may even record it so when they say that it is under warranty with the C3 and if it does screw something up I will have proof that I was told it was OK.

Just as stated befor though it does say on the website and in the catalog that the KL5 is an upgrade for the C3. So I do not see how they could back out of fixing anything that may go wrong.

And with the throw that I am getting with this setup I wonder what the correct lumen output really is? I would say its over 100 easy compared to my C3 with the P90.

My email to Surefire had the same response, that 3 cells are ok. No problem so far.

Bill D.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
There was a fairly involved thread here on this issue last autumn.

As I recall, JTice and others concluded (after checking w/SF, etc.) that the L5/KL5 head WAS compatible with a 3 X 123 (9V) body.

I believe there was some question about this when the KL5 first came out, because SF's website and literature did not originally indicate 9V compatibility. However, they subsequently changed their website (as oft out-of-date as it is!) to reflect this option. Some suspect that SF may have quietly (but quickly) "tweaked" the KL5 head just to accomodate this.

While your concerns are valid, I still haven't read/heard any reports of KL5s burning out on 3 cells.

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Yep, mine worked fine on 3 cells. And it's certainly brighter!
Had my L5 since end of 2004. Perhaps they already changed the circuit before that....if they did at all.