Knife & Light pics. (Identify your images!)

murrydan

Newly Enlightened
Emerson A100 poboy, Victorinox Pioneer, Mac's Tri EDC.

a284240a6b8433b727bf30c06151a7f0.jpg

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sat here:thinking: i am not sure about that pic sled, my eyes dont know where to fall. The knife is stunning, but then the dominator is a mighty fine looking beast as well. So i shift to that, then the shine of the blackbird draws me back and so on for over a minute i guess its been.

I know subjective, but that dominator is one of the best looking bigger lights i have seen.:cool:

A real mans EDC:D

Ven :​ Thanks! A real mans EDC for sure. :D Use my Dominator all the time...great light!

Offgridled : Thanks

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Knife & Light pics. (Identify your images!)

May I expose my ignorance with a question? I notice almost every single quality knife displayed, regardless of style(drop point, Tanto, etc) is absent of any serrations. Very few combo blades. Is there a reason the combo or serrated blades are not preferred? When I first started out and had not become very skilled at sharpening, the serrated edge was a nice convenience. Any clarification is appreciated...

Serrations are one of those 9mm vs. .45acp debates. You either love them, or you hate them. If you're wont to cut a lot of rope, cordage, or stuff like seatbelt straps, serrated edges might just be for you, but if not, they're more of a pain, so I think the scales tip away from serrated edges, just on a casual browsing of peoples' knives and opinions.

This being a thread with a lot of pimpy blades, most of these 'art knives' won't be cutting anything, let alone Manilla rope, or shipping straps. If they are used for cutting, it's something like opening up the envelope that one's dividend check just came in, so serrations won't be needed in that circumstance.

Just my observations hanging around a few knife sites.

Chris

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chris, almost all of my lights & knives are "users". I appreciate the explanation, although I did just order a couple of blades without serrations. Since I am rarely in circumstances that I used to be in(haven't jumped out of a plane or landed on a beach in a while now), I will see how it goes...

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

May I expose my ignorance with a question? I notice almost every single quality knife displayed, regardless of style(drop point, Tanto, etc) is absent of any serrations. Very few combo blades. Is there a reason the combo or serrated blades are not preferred? When I first started out and had not become very skilled at sharpening, the serrated edge was a nice convenience. Any clarification is appreciated...

If you really use a knife, not just show off, the cutting edge near the handle is the most used one for precise cutting. Having serration there is equal to making a blade useless in my point of view. By the way, this is a best indication -- a knife owner is a user or a fashion guy.

BTW, properly sharpened "plain" blade cuts ropes and security belts much better than a serrated one.

Last edited:

jskelton

Newly Enlightened

It's a personal preference, and the choice is made based on the needs of the user. I have absolutely no use for a serrated blade. I'm not an outdoorsman, so I won't be sawing anything, cutting 1/2" ropes or anything like that. I own only one serrated knife, and that's only because the knife was not made available in a useful edge, and I wanted that particular style (it is pictured here a page or two back).

For everyday cutting tasks, you'll rarely need a serrated blade, so most guys who carry everyday and USE their knives will have a plain edge. Again, the caveat is if they're very outdoorsey guys, doing outdoorsey things.

jskelton

Newly Enlightened

Serrations are one of those 9mm vs. .45acp debates. You either love them, or you hate them. If you're wont to cut a lot of rope, cordage, or stuff like seatbelt straps, serrated edges might just be for you, but if not, they're more of a pain, so I think the scales tip away from serrated edges, just on a casual browsing of peoples' knives and opinions.

This being a thread with a lot of pimpy blades, most of these 'art knives' won't be cutting anything, let alone Manilla rope, or shipping straps. If they are used for cutting, it's something like opening up the envelope that one's dividend check just came in, so serrations won't be needed in that circumstance.

Just my observations hanging around a few knife sites.

Chris

I can only assume you're referring to my knives as the "art knives that won't be cutting anything". I own only 2 knives I would categorize as art knives (and even those get carried and used), but all of mine are carried and cut when needed.

As to serrated edges, people do use them for cutting rope, cord, etc but it will leave frayed edges actually, so a plain edge is still usually a better choice.

Gotta go now, my dividend check just came in....

While I can't afford to own a custom knife, I am thankful there are people that can. If there weren't, would anyone's life be enriched?

~ Chance

Edit, No legs were intentionally humped by the above statement. ;)

Last edited:

puinsai

Enlightened

Both users & not safe queens!
Doug Ritter Benchmade Large Griptilian w/ Kenvin Wilkins Ti scales + Okluma TinyDC in Ti

Tre_Asay

Enlightened

I just got this in,
Peak eiger HiCRI SS lug
And the knife is a SS winchester that I got for $3 from a thrift shop.
I have definitely spent more on flashlights than knives, probably because I have more problems with reliability from cheap lights where cheap knifes don't have poorly soldered electronics to deal with.

xHtNOfiC7OkBYeH3bCj1U8_n1OogX5dV5ZSX-n4jp6UMklJ-aZwp8dUECivgPDui-3IERZhPrp1q3ZI7pP8HI6c2No3RSXXoNSAiW_Jikln_Ux6HPdJouc-jqpwbzgvB-OOfPhpPZEn8KwkYzKI8-MUIoO2BXwW8lI8fCrx5buz98V9KSu2y5bYenYrQQW0bO98eMVf-FVTLGQVbpl4kG4pohVBsz_iezybszLAMRaVHTFtsnTh8aXDHYfywdSLCBFsP0-BIuqgZUwrkjvHb5IF-iPvQfaBJh-pAhoy7QXhHN7hq0nH74S95UZa2DqakYs3rKPoxmNSMPVURH5eg6ODvPjpd8c1088yQOPDygMh36cG67dvBN7YyIFywm0mwUuGZbTaB9XSy5CV43oUBshnoJPxRRruMUvxhyesrDwVM5MmIun35vuhR1lYTHzk5fM7eXZ57SI8-hQlDXScxk3-0NDrsofk7WMxt0PBuD2eUzyoN-Ouawaii656Irijwzrejo_bE1MfYiZtQUrVCCxBMMSqnUlVg76Nhv8uqp-stzPMTEGI6QKkPnc7mqMFclVhrPc9Sdnp5mM9cd6GgZk96s0QolqlYdI9JPnDI__WAZmw8=w1220-h813-no

archimedes

Flashaholic

Very oversimplified, but a plain edge cuts while a serrated edge rips.

So, which tool is best, depends on which task you have.

A very sharp plain edge can perform equal or better than a serrated edge on all but the toughest of materials, but even the very best serrated edge simply cannot cut cleanly.

However, a very dull plain edge is worthless (or worse) , while even very dull serrations will tear through most material.

A "combo" edge is essentially the worst of both worlds. It halves the effective portion of the blade you need, and almost always puts each portion in the wrong place. Fine control cutting is typically best at the edge up near the handle, while slicing rip cuts are most efficient out towards the tip of the blade. But usually combo blades put the serrations where they "look better" instead of where they work better.

Of course, theoretically, the size of serrations are a continuum, and some put a so-called "toothy edge" on plain edged blades :shrug: