L3 Illumination L11c Durability and Experiences?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want to say stick with the L11c, because I really like mine, but like you, the durability concerns are always in mind.

An option with similar modes is the Reylight Pineapple. Rey is a independent builder. As far as I've heard, it's a high quality and very attractive-looking light. I'm thinking of getting one, and if my L11C died, that would probably seal the deal. It can run on 14500's, as well. I'm not sure where it can be bought other than Banggood, and maybe Massdrop.

The Zebralight SC53c has enough output the lack of 14500 support doesn't seem like a big deal. It was just released, and I don't know when it ships, though. The larger SC5c actually rivals most 14500-powered lights, and is definitely available now.

hatman

Enlightened

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L11c has a very stable power management system, not only no PWM, but Also no Circuit Noise

Zebras and Eagletacs have Circuit Noise that some people call PWM, although both lights are technically using Constant Current, that does not mean Constant Brightness

here is an ET review, note the "circuit noise"
selfbuilt said:

here is an example of the Constant Current that Zebralight uses, and the fluctuations in brightness their system creates:
maukka said:

Manufacturers have been bypassing consumer concerns about PWM, by using Constant Current that actually creates oscillations in brightness, that some people put in the same category as PWM, since the light output wavers.

The human eye cannot notice these changes, but they are there. How you feel about it, is up to you.

here is one more Constant Current light that shows tremendous oscillation in brightness:

Neil_Tennen said:

all the pics are a link to the original post

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
I have a variety of ETs and ZLs and I agree -- the human eye cannot detect any "noise" on these lights.

I can't imagine making any purchase decision on that basis.

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
Well, if only @calipsoii had the time to finish his Spyglass update, we would be all set [emoji317] ...

HDhT2IH.jpg
That light is gorgeous ! Your a lucky man .

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've mostly gotten past my worries about killing my L11C and have been carrying it semi-regularly. I'm careful not to drop it, but just today, for example, it was helping me out at work inspecting the dark, grimy recesses of equipment I was grinding on. Had I dropped it, I think most lights would have been at risk of dying from the 8' fall to the concrete below.

I'm sure the Eagletac is more robust, but at a higher price, and the mode spacing on the L11C is my favorite among the lights I own. If I do kill it, I might actually get another. A Zebralight SC53c is another really compelling thought, but the skinny body of the L11C really disappears into my pocket. Although also longer, so it's not quite a fair comparison, my Thrunite Archer is similar to the SC53 in head size, and is much more noticeable in my pocket.

markr6

Flashaholic
A Zebralight SC53c is another really compelling thought, but the skinny body of the L11C really disappears into my pocket. Although also longer, so it's not quite a fair comparison, my Thrunite Archer is similar to the SC53 in head size, and is much more noticeable in my pocket.

It's not much, but the narrower body really makes a huge difference. The L11C is the only light I really feel comfortable carrying in my pocket. Even my SC52w pokes me in the leg/hip weird in a jeans pocket.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if only @calipsoii had the time to finish his Spyglass update, we would be all set :devil: ...

HDhT2IH.jpg

Damn that stuff has to be right across the light now; photo thieves/abusers etc. have ruined it for everyone.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rats! Mine lasted about 14 months. I used it frequently - almost daily - and was careful with it, having read this thread.

Last night, it took a fall from desk height (about 30 inches) onto a hardwood floor, and it's light is extinguished.

I think it landed bezel down. I have a suspicion that the L11C's weakness is the battery hammering against the driver PCB if it hits in this orientation, and breaking a solder joint or trace on the other side.

I will open it up when I get a chance and try to locate the cause of death, but my gut tells me it will not be something I can fix.

So I'm in the market for a replacement now. I wish I could talk myself into getting another one, as I don't think there's any light out there that fit my EDC wants better, but being one drop away from death isn't a gamble I'm eager to take again. Also, I'm guessing it's no longer in production, as the 4 mode version and half the color choices seem to no longer be available.

hatman

Enlightened
It's slightly larger than (my dead) L3 but the Jaxman E3 is a AA size light that offers high CRI, a Nichia 219C at 4000K, and a tail clicky set to high/low.

It lasts forever on an Eneloop and also takes 14500s.

It's about the length of a Reylight (just over 3.5 inches) with wider diameter (roughly half an inch.)

It's spec'ed at 160 lumens but that seems low -- mine doesn't seem to lag far behind the output of my Elzetta Alpha, listed as 415 lumens. The Jaxman's tint and beam are similar to those on my thinner but pricier EagTac D25AA with the same neutral emitter.

The Jaxman comes with a nice clip. Seems stronger than the one on my ReyLight.

It's small and light-weight enough to be your pocket EDC. And produces enough light for an urban neighborhood dog walk.

It feels well-made, and for about $23 shipped and about two weeks to arrive in CONUS it's a no-brainer.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
That might not be a bad idea, depending on the mode spacing. I've got a few replacement ideas, ranging from the Reylight Ti Lan to doing an emitter and driver swap, if possible, on a Lumintop Prince Mini, but that's a discussion for another thread, I suppose.

hatman

Enlightened
That might not be a bad idea, depending on the mode spacing. I've got a few replacement ideas, ranging from the Reylight Ti Lan to doing an emitter and driver swap, if possible, on a Lumintop Prince Mini, but that's a discussion for another thread, I suppose.

My Reylight produces a lot more lumens on 14500.
What I like about the Jaxman E3 is that it's a wonderful light just using Eneloops.