Large Hadron Collider goes online tonite!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I see another problem...

collider1.jpg

m16a

Enlightened
Don't you all know, this is how our universe was created in the first place?

Some scientists in a previous age tried to figure out the same questions, and ended up ending their universe and gave birth to ours with a big bang?

:D

Awesome. In a couple hundred thousand years, I wonder what kind of flashlight advancements that world will have:crackup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm afraid all the concerns are very well justified:

lhcco0.jpg

We're all doomed :duck:

Regards,
Tempest

LOL!!!!!! :crackup::crackup::crackup:

That was good! Sounds like it would be a good time to own a Zero-Point Energy Field Manipulator (gravity gun) and a crowbar. I'm still frightened of those Striders though.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I read the news about this thing today, I kept thinking of that movie "Event Horizon"...

And also the "DOOM" games! Maybe this gizmo will open a portal to Hell and hordes of demons will come streaming out. Hmmm, time to go buy a shotgun!! :D

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I heard that after hang out at CPF too long the scientist found a way to collide particles and anti-particles to make the ultimate flashlight and they are going to light up the heavens tomorrow night.

Of course it will never catch on as an EDC flashlight.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL!!!!!! :crackup::crackup::crackup:

That was good! Sounds like it would be a good time to own a Zero-Point Energy Field Manipulator (gravity gun) and a crowbar. I'm still frightened of those Striders though.

It's okay, have your gravity gun supercharged in the citadel and you can throw those striders around like tin cans.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, there was a short documentary on its construction, part of world's most impressive modern architecture, and that thing is indeed impressive.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some quotes from the CNN article yesterday on the Hadron Collider by various physicists below (not to worry :crackup: ) :

Although physicists acknowledge that the collider could, in theory, create small black holes, they say they do not pose any risk.

at the Large Hadron Collider, Lykken said he was awed that 30,000 tons of electronics would have to work without anyone fiddling with them all the time.

"It just blows you away to look at these things and realize they're not only incredibly complex and huge, but they have to actually work," he said. "They have to work without people banging on them all day because they're sitting underground all by themselves."

Although the detector's parts weigh thousands of tons, in previous trials of CMS at lower power, the magnet actually yanked certain parts around because of its power...
And my FAVORITE:
"You're talking about such incredible power inside both the accelerator and detectors that you never really know until you turn it all on what's going to happen," said Joseph Lykken, theoretical physicist at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory.

Cousins believes that because the collider pushes the frontiers of science and technology, it would be "amazingly impressive if it works the first try,"

"I personally will be fine if there's some problem that has to be overcome in the next few days," (one of the physicists at the site).

:eek:

Illum

Flashaholic
Although the detector's parts weigh thousands of tons, in previous trials of CMS at lower power, the magnet actually yanked certain parts around because of its power...

that which reminds me...is there any highways or airline routes overhead the accelerator loop?:sick::crazy:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m really going to be pissed if I wake up tomorrow to find out our planets getting sucked into a tiny black hole. I don`t really want to get to know my neighbors that well, that way...to squshy for me (well there`s a cute blonde down the street :naughty:).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just saw on the news some lady sold her baby for crack.if the world ended tonight i wouldnt blame god to many bad people in it now

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast