Large Hadron Collider goes online tonite!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll also add that black holes evaporate over time. The time scale for the ones with stellar mass is on the order of billions of years but for these microscopic ones we're probably talking nanoseconds. The black hole would cease to exist before it could swallow up an appeciable amount of matter, even if it were moving very slowly. Also, the event horizon for these mini-black holes is of an atomic scale. They just can't suddenly swallow everything in the room. Maybe at best they'll swallow a few dozen molecules of air before they evaporate.

Events occur in a vacuum, jtr! No air molecules to "eat". LOL!

Anyway, the more-or-less local news crew (from Syracuse, NY) came to our accelerator today and interviewed one of the physicists and took a shot of the control room--with me in it! It makes it seem like I'm one of the scientists who will be splitting his time between Ithaca, NY and Switzerland. If anyone saw this footage, I'm the guy in jeans and a black shirt in the last bit of filming. For the record, I was just making a schedule for the operators. LOL! I guess the news people putting together that part of the show thought I looked serious and deep in thought, working on the standard model and possible violations of it. God, I'm going to hear about this tomorrow at the operations meeting. What a riot. I didn't even know what those people were doing in the control room, as I actually was intent on my job. Lora Hine who handles tours and out-reach was with them, talking to them about our accelerator, so I figured they had something to do with a tour. Glad I didn't realize what they were doing. Too funny.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you read this? What's the point of sending a proton beam one way other than for testing purposes?
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/

The pic with "Note: Still Here" is amusing.

Ahh come on this one actually has a script to check to see if the LHC destroyed the world: http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/
Problem: If Earth had been destroyed I wouldn't have javascript running, so NOPE would be displayed, being the default noscript option. So it's not going to accurate in that very important case.

js, your hair is a bit shorter and greyer than you have in your avatar. :nana:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm so in about a month they will do the full test both beams going head on hmmmmmmmmmm , maybe it will cause a worldwide emp and the lights go out:devil:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought everyone knew the universe ends when a Tralfamadorian test pilot presses the start button on a new flying saucer.

DM51

Flashaholic
Is this the shot of you?

js.jpg

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a great SciFi book based on the would be super collider in Illinois (Congressional funding cut victim). It's called "Einstein's Bridge" by John Cramer. The premise is in the search for the Higgs Boson particle 2 alien races spot the worm hole in the space time continuum the experiment makes. One uses the worm hole to launch a hostile invastion, the other sends a warning about the invasion. It is a fantasic read.

kelmo says "Check it Out!" Eat your heart out Joe Bob...

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought everyone knew the universe ends when a Tralfamadorian test pilot presses the start button on a new flying saucer.

LOL, Vonnegut is the best. It's almost strange that there can be humor in that book given it's subject.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, Vonnegut is the best. It's almost strange that there can be humor in that book given it's subject.

"And so it goes..." into the freak'n black hole created by the LHC!!! I knew I should have over nighted my last Lighthound order! *HEAVY SIGH*

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. That's not the story. this is the story. And this is the link to the video. I'm the person at about 35-38 seconds into the video.

get outta here ...is that really you....we have a rocket scientist at cpf ? :)

schrenz

Enlightened
Putting aside any talk about the possible end of the world, how on Earth do these scientists obtain funding for such a huge, costly project which IMO has no real practical benefits? Now if this were fusion research I could understand putting all these billions of dollars into it. But whatever is discovered here will probably only be meaningful and understood by a small group of scientists. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for scientific inquiry. It's just that if such inquiry costs a small fortune it should at least have some potential spinoffs like the space program did. Sure, they created a black hole all right-one which sucks up money like no tomorrow.

It had been so nice in our cold and dark cave and then this idiot with the fire came :D.

best
Jens