Larger bezel diameter = more flood?

Silhorn

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm trying to search for a flashlight and i've come across this nice database:
http://www (dot) besttacticalflashlights.net/tactical-flashlight-guide/

I am tiny to find a bright flashlight under $20 that can light up a wider area like a floodlight when working in small rooms.
Does a larger bezel diameter mean wider area covered by the light? How would I know which flashlights do cover a wider area?

Last edited by a moderator:

scout24

Flashaholic
Hello, and welcome. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions here. I changed the link in your post since it really didn't have a lot to do with either of your two questions, and seemed more like trying to bring viewers there. If that's not the case, my apologies. It isn't tough to change what I did if someone really wanted to visit there. Since you're looking for a light, and had a bezel size question as well, I'll leave this in General Discussion instead of moving it to "Recommend me a Light For".

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bezel size is a factor, but not really a deciding one. More important is the reflector design, or the optics in a TIR design. A wider, shorter reflector will provide more spill, and thus more flood, than one that is narrower/longer. There are lights that are specifically designed to be floody, like the Nitecore TM06 and the Olight SR Mini Intimidator. The TM06 does it with reflector design, and the Olight by using optics designed to spread rather than focus light.

To put it another way, flashlights with a larger bezel are almost always going to be long throw lights, with very little spill to the sides. If you can find a light with a larger bezel and a very shallow reflector, then you will have a very floody light.

MX421

Enlightened
For lighting a large area in a floody manner, you are better off with no reflector at all, like the "mule" type lights. I have a Zebralight H602 that has no reflector and it will light up a wall with its 120 degree beam (no hotspot). As Timothy pointed out, most lights with big bezels are built to throw the light out a good distance.

For under $20, thats tough. Maybe a small maglight where you can take the bezel off and use as a candle?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general:
1. Smaller reflectors give more flood and wider hotspot.
2. Shallow reflectors give a wider flood than deep reflectors
3. Wide reflectors give much more throw.

Reflectored lights may have 3 components in their beams:
1. Spill - this is the light that emits directly from the LED without hitting the reflector. It's the dimmest portion of the beam, but also the widest. Shallow reflectors allow more of this spillbeam to escape giving wider flood.
2. Spot - this is the brightest portion in the center of the beam. It's composed mostly of light that bounces off the reflector in a straight line forward.
3. Corona - this is the portion of the beam between the spill and spot. It is also composed of light that hits the reflector.

Some lights may have little or now corona. "Mule" lights are lights with no reflector at all and are all spill. However, because the LED is usually right next to the lens, the spill can be extremely wide.... much wider than a reflectored light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Candela can be a guide once you understand it's meaning.

If the light lists a candela number, generally the lower the number the more the flood.

Generally speaking 12000 candela would mean more throw than 6000 at a given distance of say 200 meters

Welcome to the site

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
... ... ... I changed the link in your post since it really didn't have a lot to do with either of your two questions, and seemed more like trying to bring viewers there. ... ... ...
Good thing it wasn't spam. :grin2:

It couldn't have been. No way. Noooooooo!

:)

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
As someone else said a maglite LED flashlight might do the trick.
I am a big fan of flood lights especially ones that put out quality light that show true colors, this is often referred to as high CRI

scout24

Flashaholic
I was more worried about it being click bait, trying to steer traffic to a site the brand new member OP was affiliated with. Just looking out for my fellow Flashaholics, and explaining publicly why I did what I did, rather than have the OP wonder. LOTS of spam gets deleted here every day, we try to nip as much in the bud as possible. :)

Good thing it wasn't spam. :grin2:

It couldn't have been. No way. Noooooooo!

:)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Unless it is a link to a mini moog or crazy eddie pic I don't click it.

Take that back. PK posts links I click too. But when somebody says "hey I just bought X" and posts a link...
No way am I clickin' that one. It may unleash the Cracken or who knows until it's too late. No way dude.
Not interested in a free vacation and I didn't enter the Yugondan Lottery so do not tell me I won...