Lastest and Greatest D2R

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
That quote from powerbulbs wants to make me puke. What BS!

Wow, those be some intelligent bulbs, I wonder how that performance miracle is achieved ? There is gold at the end of the light beam as well, due to the rainbow coating affect.
Those are only H3 bulbs, the HID versions must be truly amazing.

"the bulb will produce a brighter beam so that you can see the road ahead with ease. Please note: this bulb is not road legal. They play this game too.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually Philips' site, but still-- there's a D2S and a D2R, there's no dual-purpose product.

Dubious. There is no such thing as a "D2S/R" bulb. D2S and D2R are two different bulbs. Definitely not.

In essence you are both right and from a technical and legal DOT etc. standpoint also right. But from a Japanese Philips marketing standpoint you are wrong. If you look closely at the photos, these bulbs are notched for both D2S and for D2R a "universal" bulb you could say. A pathetic move so they only need to produce one configuration, just like Chinese have made D2C to do the same thing. These will underperform a true D2S bulb. At lease they have some ceramic blocking on the bulb, to stop i would assume the most offensive parts of the beam for D2R applications. That ceramic coating can be fairly easily removed with a razor blade though.
Thats such "poop" to make a bulb notched for both D2S and D2R.

Last edited:

Magio

Enlightened
In essence you are both right and from a technical and legal DOT etc. standpoint also right. But from a Japanese Philips marketing standpoint you are wrong. If you look closely at the photos, these bulbs are notched for both D2S and for D2R a "universal" bulb you could say. A pathetic move so they only need to produce one configuration, just like Chinese have made D2C to do the same thing. These will underperform a true D2S bulb. At lease they have some ceramic blocking on the bulb, to stop i would assume the most offensive parts of the beam for D2R applications. That ceramic coating can be fairly easily removed with a razor blade though.

Good eye. I'm surprised to see Philips making a dual purpose bulb. Maybe they are being marketed in Japan because Japan's lighting regulations are laxer than what we have here.

DEOUTLANDER

Newly Enlightened

How can a bulb be both a D2S and D2R? If you tried to put those Japanese Philips in a regular D2R headlight would they fit and function correctly?(without modification?)

Magio

Enlightened
How can a bulb be both a D2S and D2R? If you tried to put those Japanese Philips in a regular D2R headlight would they fit and function correctly?(without modification?)

They would fit as they have notches for both D2S and D2R but would not function correctly as they do not have the necessary shield for them to function correctly in D2R headlamps. There is a partial shield so this would also alter their performance in D2S headlamps too so they may not function correctly in those in either.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the best D2R Philips or Oram?

Philips, Osram and GE all make equal products in the standard D2R configuration. Personally, I feel that the GE is the best of the 3, but that's mostly a subjective opinion on my part.