LED flashlight for hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Took a hog last weekend from a stand with a crossbow using a hand held UF 501b with XR-E green. Next time it will be mounted on the rail for the quiver. The technique is to point the light up, turn it on and lower it slowly so not to spook the game. I have a simular setup with an aspherical and pigtail switch on my 500 S&W semi auto rifle. One of my next projects is to mount a PT54 red aspherical on one of my longer range rifles. I have built one 2D Mag red PT54 DD @ 8A aspherical and a 4D Mag green PT120 DD est 25A aspherical. I was able to light coyote eyes at 500+yds with the PT54 one night by the house. Don't think the neighbors like my lights. BTW all of the above is true . Willie

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I have tried classic WD(white tint) xre and green xre and I got same results... Roebucks, Deer & predators are not afraid either combination while hog is bit suspicious so if U R not fast enough U will loose it... But U still have few seconds to make a shot.

I don't use that technique like U do but will try it... It can't be bad... I don't have crossbow because it is forbidden for hunting. But I assume that I would rather have reflector light for such configuration but I don't have experience with that...

Can anyone recommend flashlight for blood trail that really works?

Thanks.

Last edited:

kommanderskull

Newly Enlightened
Get the EagleTac T20C2 MKII XM-L and don't look back.
Perfect hunting light Nice balance of spill and throw. It practically begs to be attached to rifle. Plenty of accessories (filters, pulse switch, etc)... and it is upgradeable.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Perfect hunting light Nice balance of spill and throw. It practically begs to be attached to rifle. Plenty of accessories (filters, pulse switch, etc)... and it is upgradeable.

If a green or red color light wanted @ distance a XM-L with a filter is a TOY. You are better off with a green XR-E thrower or aspherical. Build or have made a custom color light based on one the color Luminus emitters. Couldn't find a bright red led flashlight or 500S&W sa rifle so build em.

looman

Enlightened
Took a hog last weekend from a stand with a crossbow using a hand held UF 501b with XR-E green. Next time it will be mounted on the rail for the quiver. The technique is to point the light up, turn it on and lower it slowly so not to spook the game. I have a simular setup with an aspherical and pigtail switch on my 500 S&W semi auto rifle. One of my next projects is to mount a PT54 red aspherical on one of my longer range rifles. I have built one 2D Mag red PT54 DD @ 8A aspherical and a 4D Mag green PT120 DD est 25A aspherical. I was able to light coyote eyes at 500+yds with the PT54 one night by the house. Don't think the neighbors like my lights. BTW all of the above is true . Willie

I am an archer too though bow hunting is (yeah you guessed it ) illegal in the UK. However, I would suggest you could potentially rig up a tape switch so you can make the light come on by an initial grip of the riser and then relax you rfingers as the draw weight takes over and maintains contact. or you could rig it up so that is makes connection as the sting is drawn back like a peep site bungy on a compound bow.

Blitzwing

Enlightened

I can't see how the throw on that light can be that good, TBH. I'd be interested to see lux figures on it - my guess is that it would be nowhere near what the best XR-E throwers are getting.

From what I can tell, the smallish LOP reflector, large XM-L emitter and 700-ish lumens doesn't seem to have any of the ingredients of a long range thrower.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
I am an archer too though bow hunting is (yeah you guessed it ) illegal in the UK. However, I would suggest you could potentially rig up a tape switch so you can make the light come on by an initial grip of the riser and then relax you rfingers as the draw weight takes over and maintains contact. or you could rig it up so that is makes connection as the sting is drawn back like a peep site bungy on a compound bow.

Will have a pigtail switch. It is a CROSSBOW. In Texas feral hog is non native pest and they can be hunted 24/7/365 as in NO closed season or bag limits. In the last couple years crossbow has been allowed all hunters for White tailed deer and other native game during archery season. Before that only limb handicapped hunters could use crossbows during regular archery season (native game) although anyone could use crossbows on hogs. Taking game with arrow, bolt or handgun does take the sport a bit closer in distance, awareness of scent, stealth and movement add to the excitement. Most of the hunting I do is with rifle but to extend my season we have an early archery season and late muzzle loading season. BTW...Deer can not be hunted at night or with artificial light.

Last edited:

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I can't see how the throw on that light can be that good, TBH. I'd be interested to see lux figures on it - my guess is that it would be nowhere near what the best XR-E throwers are getting.

From what I can tell, the smallish LOP reflector, large XM-L emitter and 700-ish lumens doesn't seem to have any of the ingredients of a long range thrower.

Maybe he hunts on short distances up to 60 meters...

xre q5 in deep reflector will throw further than xml, mce, sst 50 and whole army of new emitters. I know becasue I have tried...

Status
Not open for further replies.