Lemax LX70 Superpower HID Light

chartmarker

Newly Enlightened
Placed my order on Thursday and wired the payment Friday so hope to see my Lemax LX50ll next week, should really help us out on the dark desert trails on our rides.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt it will. Had the LX70 out this weekend at FCW-13 event......outstanding on all fronts! Ordered the optional diffusor and it works amazingly well.

Keep us in the loop!

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Placed my order on Thursday and wired the payment Friday so hope to see my Lemax LX50ll next week, should really help us out on the dark desert trails on our rides.

Let us know if you want to upgrade that light from 35/50 to 50/70, it can be done easily.
It would remain smaller (head) and lighter as you prefer but the output would be greatly increased.
You would get the same run times as the LX70 since the batteries are the same used for both.
140/100 minutes (50/70) vs 200/140 minutes (35/50) runtimes.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a very interesting option! How does it cope with the heat at 70W?

We have multiple vertical "pockets" in our aluminum CNC machined case for our sectionalized PCB and the round shaped "mother board" control PCB board, you can see in the below photos. All of the "hotter" PCB components are very close (tight tolerance) to the large thermal aluminum heatsink mass in the vertical pockets and potted with thermal transfer potting as well. Our ballast is about 92% efficient, the best efficiency in the industry. Our hottest components are also closest to the outside edge of the ballast housing. All of this was done to optimize ballast performance and durability in the harshest conditions to meet very demanding Military and Aviation performance expectations.

The Lemax large heat sinking fins are way over engineered (a very good thing), so it's not a problem to use OUR 50/70 ballast in the LX50-2. ONLY our XeVision proprietary ballast is made this way and is much more expensive to manufacture. The heat transfer to the outside of the case is very very efficient, compared to other ballasts that are only potted and in a thin wall (very inexpensive) low mass metal ring (cylinder), open on both ends and at most a thin metal bottom plate (disc) on some competitors.
We don't depend purely on thermal transfer potting to absorb and move heat to the metal case of the ballast and out to the searchlight exterior. We also use premium grade thermal transfer paste at the ballast aluminum case diameter to searchlight interface, others often use no thermal paste at all which is not conducive to efficient heat transfer to the searchlight body. We optimize every factor in our ballast design. http://www.xevision.com/images/XePuck%E2%84%A22%20combi%20450.png

http://www.xevision.com/images/XV8C 2 bottom view 450.png
XV8C%202%20bottom%20view%20450.png

Last edited:

chartmarker

Newly Enlightened
That is indeed a interesting option, I don't have the new light yet. I now know I have options. Can't wait to see how it compares to my UDR.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know if you want to upgrade that light from 35/50 to 50/70, it can be done easily.
It would remain smaller (head) and lighter as you prefer but the output would be greatly increased.
You would get the same run times as the LX70 since the batteries are the same used for both.
140/100 minutes (50/70) vs 200/140 minutes (35/50) runtimes.

This is a fantastic option. Karlthev and I had the opportunity to do some beamshots and comparisons between sveral HID's and LED throwers last weekend...ie: Polarion PH50, Abyss, Maxabeam, UDR, Deft, a few others and my LX70. All I can say is the LX70 at 70 Watts is a stunner. Hopefully I'll get over the PhotoBucket debacle and be able to post some pics soon. iPhone pics but they came out pretty good.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, yeah, I'll admit, Sandy got me! Hail King Sandy! I might have had the edge on shear throw with the Maxabeam on pinpoint beam but, we"d really have needed a pair of binoculars to see what was being illuminated at the end point of the beam....although we could readily see the bugs between the head origin and the point focus! The LX70 just "dusted" the Polarion PH50 and the Abyss. Sandy was doing his level best to get the beamshots, side by side but, the camera (cellphone) wanted to adjust to the intensity of the LX70 and not the lesser performance beams. This was most evident with the Maxabeam where we couldn't see the Maxabeam beam (is that redundant?) by the LX70.

Karlthev

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought this had posted before but...

Get in touch with Dan at Xe Vision in Ogden, Utah. "Dan" is the individual to speak to.

Karl

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan how can I get more information from you about the upgrade for my LX50ii you mentioned ?

I sent a PM to you some time ago.
you can find our website at www.XeVision.com and contact information there (801)622-7000
There are a few "options" in making the upgrade.
You could just upgrade the ballast and not the bulb (bulb/igniter assby). The ballast controls bulb wattage in HID, not the bulb as with halogen.
You could upgrade to a higher rated wattage bulb (longer useful bulb life and better lumens maintenance) now or later. 2 piece bulb / igniter assembly.
It just depends how much you use the light and how much you want to spend now.

Dan

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Anyone ever figure out the candela for the Superpower? Somewhere around 2M cd maybe?

I think it was something like 4M+ CD based off the 4250m FL1 range stated, but cannot remember if someone has actually measured the lux.