Less batteries, krypton instead of xenon(two), and carbon zinc over alkaline(two) equals more brightness!?!?!?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really can't explain this. This is really and unsolved mystery or I live in the twilight zone but I took three Maglites and somehow the 5C outperforms a 3C and a 6C.

3C has premium red Duracell Quantium x3 driving a new type German Xenon bulb.

6C has six Rayovac High Energy batteries and the older type Mexican Xenon bulb.

5C has five Panasonic Super Heavy Duty batteries driving the original style Magnum Star Krypton bulb from the 1980s.

The 5C is brighter. It has fresh cells not that the others seen a lot of use but I would imagine the better gas would make for a better light.

Any ideas why?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and the 6C has the OEM Maglite Glass lense which was as far as I was willing to mod whilst keeping it totally Maglite. I understand it allows for more light to pass through.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
First off incan Maglites are not regulated so they dim as the batteries sag. But, another thing is time adds a bit of corosion to parts and pieces that conduct electricity. Often unseen.

Try using an ohm meter to see if you get varying resistence at places like the spring vs the bulb holder or switch. Cleaning the (often) unseen crud causes less resistance so the light becomes brighter.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really can't explain this. This is really and unsolved mystery or I live in the twilight zone but I took three Maglites and somehow the 5C outperforms a 3C and a 6C.

3C has premium red Duracell Quantium x3 driving a new type German Xenon bulb.

6C has six Rayovac High Energy batteries and the older type Mexican Xenon bulb.

5C has five Panasonic Super Heavy Duty batteries driving the original style Magnum Star Krypton bulb from the 1980s.

The 5C is brighter. It has fresh cells not that the others seen a lot of use but I would imagine the better gas would make for a better light.

Any ideas why?
It's the fresh cells. Alkaline are terrible for incans. The old maglites were impressively bright at the time……on cells with only a couple minutes of use. Then you got fading orange for hours. That's why I run all mine on nimh or lithium. I bet if you put fresh cells in the 6C, you'd see a big difference. Especially as that 5C krypton really needs 6 cells to truly shine.
Also, byk is right. They do build up resistance. I alway take the switch apart and clean everything with isopropyl when I get them

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my 3C Mag on 2X keep power protected 21700's and a 6 cell xenon bulb. A 5 cell xenon would probably be brighter if it doesn't blow running on 2X Li-ions.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my 3C Mag on 2X keep power protected 21700's and a 6 cell xenon bulb. A 5 cell xenon would probably be brighter if it doesn't blow running on 2X Li-ions.
A 5 cell xenon will not enjoy the 8+ volts
From those cells. A 5 cell kypton will be fine though. But it's not as nice of a beam imo. But that's a nice setup. I'm doing the same but with Samsung 20r 18650s

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
As @vicv mentioned, alkaline cells drop voltage very quickly when under load.

Take a look at this chart to see how their output at 2 amps is like falling off of a cliff.

Our own @HKJ has done a ton of battery testing, and presents them for our benefit.
And here is one of the best C cell alkalines directly compared to an eneloop AA at the current these bulbs pull. Look how terrible the alkaline performs. This is why they yellow so fast
IMG_0178.png