Let Me Get This Right...There Is A World Toilet Summit ???

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
As some of you may be aware, I scoff on the toilet "flush per gallon" Gestapo, thoroughly enjoying my 7.5 gallon per flush old school models...and nice, full pressure hot showers until my 50 gallon hot water heater is running out.

Now I read today that some sort of World Toilet Organization, with a self declared "World Toilet Day"--which in and of itself is an extremely bizarre concept--is calling for the end of water flushing toilets as something "unsustainable."

We obviously need a 28th Ammendment to the United States Constitution:

Well regulated Bowels, being necessary to the tranquility of a free People, the right of the people to keep and bare 'Cheeks,' upon a commode of their own desires shall not be infringed.

"From my cold, dead cheeks! "

IcantC

Enlightened
Let me now ask a question, is it me or are a lot of places in So Cal outfitted with low flow toilets and showers? I noticed I have to flush twice in Socal, once in Chicago hahaha. The showers seem to lack pressure.

BTW with low flow, since some need to flush twice or more, doesn't it defeat the prupose?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW with low flow, since some need to flush twice or more, doesn't it defeat the prupose?

No. You would need to flush a low-flow toilet four or five times to flush the six gallons of a standard-flow toilet. Since everyone is not flushing four or five times as much or showering twice as long, it's a net water savings.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
article linked said:
Lack of suitable toilets and sanitation kills approximately 1.8 million people a year, many of them children.

How do people get killed by not having toilet? They don't know how to squat down anymore? :confused:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
1/3 or more of the DRINKABLE water people use every day does down the toilet..
don't you think there is something wasteful about that?
especially since the national water table is dropping every year--

(not that the agrifarmers aren't wasting most it spraying it all over the crops with automatic machinery instead of using drip -- )

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
1/3 or more of the DRINKABLE water people use every day does down the toilet..
don't you think there is something wasteful about that?
especially since the national water table is dropping every year--

Some places use seperate piping to supply untreated water for toilet/lawn etc., seems to be a good idea. (then again I learn the fact after reading on the news a familiy found out their supply is hooked up wrong so they've been drinking untreated water, so it may not work out in practice)

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back, I heard of a toilet from Sweden called the "Destroylet" When you're finished using it; you would close the lid then push a switch on top and a propane burner at the bottom of the unit burns whatever waste you've deposited in there. Apparently, they were used a lot in the RV market.

I did ask a teacher I knew at my community college who used to teach in the RV program when it was offered and he told me he hadn't heard of the propane fired "Destroylet" but he did hear of a unit that incinerated waste using exhaust heat from the coach's engine. Whatever that gets burnt to ash would then be blown out the tailpipe.

Figured in both cases, the "emissions" were quite questionable. :thinking:

oronocova

Enlightened
...Whatever that gets burnt to ash would then be blown out the tailpipe. ...

That would be handy for those pesky tailgaters. I for one have turned off the water to all the toilets in the house.

I am grateful for this "coalition of the crapper" showing me the err of my water wasting ways and I am sure my wife and I will soon be enjoying the peace with-in that can only come from not being able to flush our toilets.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
They installed water-free urinals at my workplace, they STINK of stale **** at the end of the day. Now... I'm no germaphobe or a neat friek in any way but, I don't use those things. I **** in the stall into a bowl of water with a good old fashioned flush.

Conserving water is one thing, but having to inhale the stink of everyones stale **** is taking it too far.

FWIW, the water flush urinals that were there previously did not smell this bad

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They installed water-free urinals at my workplace, they STINK of stale **** at the end of the day. Now... I'm no germaphobe or a neat friek in any way but, I don't use those things. I **** in the stall into a bowl of water with a good old fashioned flush.

Saw those in a ski resort too, only thing I can say about it is EWWWWWWWWWWW.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think this water shortage thing is overkill. There is a very LOGICAL solution.

something like %80 or the world is covered in water?

use the money from these pointless meetings, and campagins, etc etc, give it to the scientists, and let them develop a CHEAP, EFFICIENT, and practical on a large scale....DESALINATION PROCESS.

Lets just see humanity TRY to drink the oceans dry

who knows, it might even solve this problem

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213690

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of putting water from toilets in our drinking supply to conserve water or getting rid of toilets that flush, why can't we have separate plumbing for our sinks and tubs and have a different line for our toilets? Use ocean water for toilet water. We have an unlimited supply of ocean salt water. Last time I checked, we didn't need to purify or take salt out of the water we're flushing down the toilet. I think this solution makes more sense and is cheaper than the alternatives.