Lights that are outdated yet you still want for "nostalgic" purposes?

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I think my Gerber Infinity Ultra that I've had for years will always be around. I like the runtime and size. Any probably an old Mini Mag that I took caving with me and submerged, slammed, and covered in mud will always have a special place amongst my lights.

headophile

Enlightened
Wow I have never heard of or seen this one... very colorful history in aviation and military.

not to mention in the medical field. my pediatrician always used the exact same flashlight to examine me when i was a kid. seeing this here flooded my mind with childhood memories and reminded me of what probably started my dislike of hospitals (which was a big mucus-sucking contraption of some sort).

great to see it here. nice find!

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
I got a 4D maglite for nostalgic reasons but I put in a mag xenon bulb. I think I will also put in a ucl lens and a smooth, cammed, aluminum refector because I beleive that's the way it should have been.

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened
Burgess - that Eveready is absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing that story.

I've got an oooold mini-Mag with the hole in the tailcap bored out some so I could fit a little bigger key ring on it. 15-20 years ago I always had a ring of keys on a mini-carabiner hanging from a belt loop. Snap the biner off the belt loop and onto the keyring on the mini-Mag and...instant key flail, that kept a couple of tense situations from turning into actual fights. Of course, it wasn't a very good flashlight, but I'm kind of fond of it just the same.

But my real love is my Fenix L2T (v1) with the nekomane 123 tube. Maybe my first really good light, my first (sorta) mod, and still my go-to general purpose light. A wonderful smooth beam, and I hit the jackpot on the Luxeon lottery with a beautiful, soft white and almost zero color shift from high to low. THAT'S the light on MY nightstand every night. (Along with several other lights, of course, but I make the other ones take turns.)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me that are different Maglites, but with the intention to replace the incan bulb with a LED-dropin: Maglite 2D purple, 3D blue and purple, 2C black, Mini 2AA camo, purple and flag. And just the same as you Monocrom says about Surefire I say about Maglite: Malkoff.

Edit: I forgot to mention my customed C 1xCr123 and 1D light

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

faucon

Enlightened
An original SF U2 w/ 18650-fitting body.
And a Tigerlight (the regulated Incan one).
I have the same older SF U2 that can use an 18650, and an older SF L4 that I run on 17670s. Not as bright as my Fenix and EagleTac lights, but rugged and still very useful. On the down side, I have a couple of ancient Mag AAs and Solitaires---these I keep around for some reason but never use, since I'm almost better off striking a match!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hey, speaking of "nostalgic" flashlights . . . .

T'was 25 Years Ago Today

that i received my very first Mini-Maglite.

:party:

My story, in case you are interested, is here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/141266

Gives an accurate idea of the EDC options available, back then.

My goodness, how far we have come in the past Quarter-Century.

These are certainly very exciting times to be a Flashaholic.

:cool:
_

moses

Enlightened
Still have an Arc LS with customized reflector and tritium dot - modded by two different people on CPF way back. Also old Tekna.

Moses

Monocrom

Flashaholic
On the down side, I have a couple of ancient Mag AAs and Solitaires---these I keep around for some reason but never use, since I'm almost better off striking a match!

Lighthound used to sell an ArcMania LED upgrade for the Solitaire.

Now they're harder to find. I have one in a pewter Solitaire. No where near blindingly bright, but still makes a difference.

faucon

Enlightened
Lighthound used to sell an ArcMania LED upgrade for the Solitaire.

Now they're harder to find. I have one in a pewter Solitaire. No where near blindingly bright, but still makes a difference.
Thanks---I'll check this out. It would be nice to have the Solitaire doing something besides gathering dust. It was one of the first "EDC" type lights I got, back in the 1980s I believe, when I realized I loved lumens but the quality and brightness I was longing for didn't exist yet.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh if huricane lamps are in I've got two are old, nice thick green glass base to them.
Finding suitable wicks is a big issue, the flat braided replacements i've found have usually burned down in hours instead of lasting years like my father's wicks used to.

Spence

Enlightened
SF L1 Lumamax and Arc AAA+P
rolleye11.gif

eric_wolf

Newly Enlightened
I've lot lights that are "more modern" - that throw farther and shine brighter, but this one (Arc 4+) is a classic that I still enjoy using. The fit, finish and feel are wonderful. I'll probably upgrade the emitter sooner than retiring it.

arc4.jpg