Lights you desire and can afford but won't buy! Why?

carrot

Flashaholic
Thus far the only one I potentially can afford and want, but probably won't buy is the McLuxIII PD. I feel like I might end up treating it more like a shelf queen, considering I only use a small subset of my lights frequently, and that's not how a flashlight aught to be treated. It should be used and enjoyed... What it really boils down to is not any failure on Don's part, but rather that I have "too many" lights already.

Perhaps if I got to try one for myself in person...

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Honestly it has not been so much of desiring just *one* light and not getting it, but trying to decide from all the lights i want, and some of them just missing out from my sessions of impulse buy madness.

Probably the one light that I have highly desired and can honestly afford, but have not bought, is the HDS EDC.

At first I baulked at the price. Then later other custom, smaller lights took up my attention. Now, while I can still afford it, i shouldn't as i am still unemployed, but the "other" reason is that I am waiting for the new versions to come out. Or at least that's what I tell myself each time. Eventually I will own one I suppose.

Two other lights that come to mind in no particular order of preference are the Lumaray FL-12 and the CR2-ION in blue. Given the blue IONs aren't made anymore, I doubt I will eventually get to own that, but the others... well we'll see once I find a new job =)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire U2. Would love one, but a) too many problems, b) too expensive for not being much use beyond what I already own.

Surefire E1L/E2L. Always wanted to try one. Actually did buy and try one. Sold it the next day because it wasn't what I really wanted. For some reason I still have some regrets selling it (DUQ will love it though).

Surefire L1. Not necessarily compatable with rechargables. Way too long for a 1x123A light. Vastly inferior to my HDS U60XRGT. So why the hell do I want one so much? Looks too cool I guess. Maybe I'll get a Milkysplit L1 one of these days.

Surefire L4/KL4 head. Always wanted to try one. Was wary of pukey green tints and doughnut holes. Actually did buy one. Still have it, despite rational reasons. Not sure if this fits the criteria of this thread, considering I did buy one, but I haven't decided yet on keeping it. Has the doughnut hole, but has a very nice creamy yellow tint. Very different than the WO tints I'm used to and prefer (My Jil, Exolion, HDS, and McLux PD all have WO LEDs).

Surefire M3T/A19 or M4. No use for it, and I can probably do a Magmod brighter and cheaper. Not sure if I'll be able to hold out on this one.

Pierce M10. Awesome looking little light. Love those cooling fins. Have absolutely no need for it.

HDS B42XRGT. Every time one pops up for sale under $100, I'm hovering over buying one, especially with the Ultimate backdoor. But I already have a U60XRGT, what the hell do I need a B42 for?

Streamlight Propoly Luxeon 4AA. Would love to have one. Haven't bought one. Beats the hell out of me why I haven't. Someday...

Streamlight Strion. Looks like a fantastic pocket sized rechargable
light. But for some reason I can't get over the lack of HAIII anodization.

Amilite Neo T3. Had one for a week during a passaround. Awesome light. But like the Pierce M10, I have absolutely no need for it.

Nuwai Q3. These were all the rage a few months ago, especially with li-ions. Always wanted to try one, especially since they're hardly expensive. But reason managed to stay my hand.

Any Fenix light, or similar, like Liteflux LF1 or Jet-1 Mk.II. Exciting things coming from these chinese manufacturers, but until they make a light with a damned pocket clip, I'll hold off. But I still get excited whenever something new comes out.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
The line has been drawn and crossed many many times!

Currently, and for the last year, I have intended to buy an HDS ultimate of some description or other - but the 42 was too similar to my beloved ARC +4 and I've always balked at the price of the 60. Now they seem to be about to announce something else, so I can probably pick up a bargain on B/S/T, if I'm lucky.

How about a CPF special from HDS??? 85? 100? AA?

Be lucky...

Rudi

Enlightened
wasabe64 said:
Chameleon
Spy005

Their sales went on during my self-imposed exile from CPF, too hard to chase down one in B/S/T.

There are two in BST at Flashlight-Forums right now; one at a very good price.

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
I have a bunch of normal usage/power outage/hiking type lights (which is really what i use them for) but I dont have anything 'tactical' and im often tempted to get something. I cant quite decide exactly what i want though.

Buckeye

Enlightened
I have a Fenix L1P as my EDC, but I want an L1T as well. If I buy an L1T I need to buy some 14500s. Don't need more rechargeables right now.
I want an L2P or an L2T, but I don't need one. I have the CPF LE 4W as my backup EDC-brighter light.
I really like the smaller size of the CR2 lights. The CR2 Ion is too much $ for my tastes. The L2P with the CR2 body is very tempting. I really don't need ANOTHER battery type to keep track of.

cy

Flashaholic
nah.... if you get a PD. use it as it was designed to do.

IMHO one of the most important elements of chosing what to buy is "Resale Value"

along with Surefire and ARC's, Don's lights has consistantly retained it's original value and/or has gone up.

so odds are you will recapture most if not all your funds invested in a PD. so costs are higher up front, but cheaper in the end...

Carrot, jump in and buy a PD. if you don't like it. sell it... so what you going to lose? costs of postage...

carrot said:
Thus far the only one I potentially can afford and want, but probably won't buy is the McLuxIII PD. I feel like I might end up treating it more like a shelf queen, considering I only use a small subset of my lights frequently, and that's not how a flashlight aught to be treated. It should be used and enjoyed... What it really boils down to is not any failure on Don's part, but rather that I have "too many" lights already.

Perhaps if I got to try one for myself in person...

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread Flea Bag.

Amilite Neo T3 - This is one of the first lights I really wanted, but I have a Fenix P1 and an L2T w/CR123 tube which are both within the same size and brightnes range - My HDS lights also seem to have killed my desire (or need) to obtain any more small 1xCR123 lights - I think I am well sorted on the pocketable single cell front and can't really justify buying a light that I would never use over my HDS's.

Inova T1 - This also haunts my dreams as a slightly bigger single cell light (for my coat pocket maybe) and that will probably be the one I do break down and purchase because I like the Inova's looks, flat discharge rate and excellent build quality.

Inova X5T 2nd gen - Because it sucks to know that the new one is a lot brighter than my older X5T.

My need to own a few more bigger flashlights makes all of the above less of a priority though.

CFU

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
unfortunaltley I dont have self control when it comes to flashlights.....if I want it I buy it......I guess I could have a worse addiction......lol

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great subject, Flea Bag. Sometimes I wonder what makes me pull the trigger on one purchase but not another.

I didn't buy the FF3 I was lusting after but got the Fenix P1 instead.

The Inova T3 had me drooling from the start but don't really need it. If the price comes down I'll have to buy it for its beauty because I already have small throwers.

The Ion impresses me but I'm reluctant to jump onto the CR2 bandwagon.

There are so many lights I'd like but funds are a limiting factor. Is that a crazy excuse?

meat

Newly Enlightened
HDS lights. I would love to get one, but I can't justify the cost. The recent sale almost pushed me over the edge of buying one.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I've collected things all my life ... even (especially) as a child.

And what I've always enjoyed the most about collecting is thinking of that next item. The anticipation, the pursuit.

Often, if I spent too much on an item, I got a serious case of buyer's remorse. So severe, that I would sometimes lose all interest in the collection. :(

I've never been a LEO and I was a firefighter over a decade ago. In no way, shape or form can I now claim that I put my life on the line and need the best, most powerful, most reliable (or most expensive) light made.

However, I still enjoy the gadget-ness of different lights and I find them useful for nightime walks and late-night navigating through the house.

So, I've set a cap at $50 for now ... and I haven't been seriously tempted to cross that. I've tasted that buyer's remorse too many times in the past.

So, since coming here I've bought a number of extra lights ... but mostly cheaper ones including an order placed with DAE ... though I harbor some guilt over buying cheap Chinese lights as well.

Still, I'm going to place another order with DAE any day now ... a good size one for ~20 lights, mostly smaller ones.

And I like finding bargains ... like Garrity stainless and aluminum lights for $2.50-$3.00. I get the biggest thrill when I score a bargain like that ... even if I have little use for the light. :D

SCblur

Enlightened
Here's the funny thing about my purchases, and their related guilt:

I find that the expensive lights that I feel guilty about buying initially (my U2 for example) are the ones I feel best about afterwards. There's some initial guilt about the upfront cost, but I fall in love with them, and use them so much, that withing a few weeks the cost seems justified.

Whereas, the cheapie lights (relatively), like the inova XO and the mag 2AA LED I just got, are the ones I feel fine about during the time of purchase because they're so cheap compared to my other lights. However I feel more guilty about those in the long run, because I don't really use them. They're more of a passing fascination, and soon end up at the bottom of a box somewhere.

In other words, I ultimately feel more guilty about the $30 I wasted on a light I never use, than I do about the $250 for a light that I absolutely love. I have no problem spending top dollar for something that is top quality, and when I really appreciate it, and find myself using it frequently. But even the cheapest, unjustified purchase, is the one that makes me feel wasteful.

For that reason, my flashlight buying habits have settled into a rythm. I don't buy nearly as many lights (nor as frequently) as I used to. Rather, I deliberate over my purchases for some several months usually, becoming well acquainted with lights here on the internet long before I own them. In this fashion, my light purchases have gone from cheap and many, to expensive and few. I find that doing this, my enjoyment of the habit has gone up, my guilt has gone down, and ironically I actually spend a little less money overall than I did before.

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCblur said:
Here's the funny thing about my purchases, and their related guilt:

I find that the expensive lights that I feel guilty about buying initially (my U2 for example) are the ones I feel best about afterwards. There's some initial guilt about the upfront cost, but I fall in love with them, and use them so much, that withing a few weeks the cost seems justified.

Whereas, the cheapie lights (relatively), like the inova XO and the mag 2AA LED I just got, are the ones I feel fine about during the time of purchase because they're so cheap compared to my other lights. However I feel more guilty about those in the long run, because I don't really use them. They're more of a passing fascination, and soon end up at the bottom of a box somewhere.

In other words, I ultimately feel more guilty about the $30 I wasted on a light I never use, than I do about the $250 for a light that I absolutely love. I have no problem spending top dollar for something that is top quality, and when I really appreciate it, and find myself using it frequently. But even the cheapest, unjustified purchase, is the one that makes me feel wasteful.

For that reason, my flashlight buying habits have settled into a rythm. I don't buy nearly as many lights (nor as frequently) as I used to. Rather, I deliberate over my purchases for some several months usually, becoming well acquainted with lights here on the internet long before I own them. In this fashion, my light purchases have gone from cheap and many, to expensive and few. I find that doing this, my enjoyment of the habit has gone up, my guilt has gone down, and ironically I actually spend a little less money overall than I did before.

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I have good lights that cover my needs and if I buy a cheapie it will just be disappointing. I do still buy a few lights, but they are usually bought as gifts, I take a long hard look at them before sending them off.....

I have looked at the Propoly, Fenix lights and quite a few others, but they don't do anything better than light i already own..

paulr

Flashaholic
Well, "afford" is relative, I mean if I sold my laptop I could buy a couple of pretty nice lights. But my work pattern is one of financial ups and downs so I try to avoid expenditures during the off times. I signed up on the Spy list but somehow my light seems to have fallen through a crack (I was out of the country and had made arrangements to postpone payment til I got back) and while I'm disappointed, I'm also a little bit relieved, so I didn't chase after it very hard (sent an email etc). I still want to get a McLux PD, preferably in chrome or swirl. In general though, I'm not so fond of cr123a-powered lights any more, except as functional-art pieces (the PD and Spy qualify as this). I prefer AA's now.

The lights I really try to avoid buying are M@g's because I don't like their business practices. I made an exception for the USL (based on M@g host) and continue to use the M@gs that I already owned before this became an issue for me. So this is a non-financial reason for refusing to buy a light.

Generally when I've resold lights, I've taken a bath, so I don't think about resale when I buy one. I may sell my USL after playing with it for a while, and I'll probably get creamed. My McLux TK is worth more than when I bought it, but I'll never want to sell it.