• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Lights You Want Me To Mod

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smoothest reflector'd lights I have are the two Maxtoch XPros (one modded to fiat lux status, and the other was from factory. the factory one the petals are off-centered, but still very defined). The hotspot is equally as defined compared to the Acebeam T21vn and K75 stock. The main difference I found was with how clean the corona looks. On the acebeams, the petals are a little messy looking, and there's quite a lot of them. On the Maxtoch lights, the petals of the coronas are extremely well defined, and there's less of them. The other reflector that's quite close to the maxtoch is the Thrunite Catapult V6, which also has a clean looking corona with clean petals, but not as defined as the XPros.

I'm not sure if that is directly related with how smooth the reflector is, or its shape, but I definitely like seeing defined petals.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light I want Vinh to mod: Fenix HP30R! I'm thinking white 2 or SST-40 in the main spot, and two LH351D 90CRIs in the flood. Might just email for a quote anyways..... I definitely want a Vinh'd headlamp, but at this point I'm really wanting a battery pack headlamp.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Light I want Vinh to mod: Fenix HP30R! I'm thinking white 2 or SST-40 in the main spot, and two LH351D 90CRIs in the flood. Might just email for a quote anyways..... I definitely want a Vinh'd headlamp, but at this point I'm really wanting a battery pack headlamp.

You are the 3rd person asking for this light. I guess I cant look away now. Just ordered this light to test.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Dont you think they should have used Dual 21700 battery pack? Could have had 10,000mAh instead of 7000mAh. and 7000mAh is assuming they are using 3500mAh.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are the 3rd person asking for this light. I guess I cant look away now. Just ordered this light to test.

Well golly! STOKED!

Dont you think they should have used Dual 21700 battery pack? Could have had 10,000mAh instead of 7000mAh. and 7000mAh is assuming they are using 3500mAh.

My exact thoughts opening that page today to look at the light. Kinda hoping that will be in the works.

Do you think there's any way to modify the UI of the light? It's far from crucial, but would be nice to have VNX2 on there....

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Well golly! STOKED!

My exact thoughts opening that page today to look at the light. Kinda hoping that will be in the works.

Do you think there's any way to modify the UI of the light? It's far from crucial, but would be nice to have VNX2 on there....

The battery pack metal clip does look heavy duty. I like it! I just saw that we can use our own 18650 so actually I would prefer 18650 for the lighter weight and size reduction. I have an Olight wave with a bulky 4*18650 pack and it gets in the way. These LEDs arent heavily driven so dual 18650 should be good. I thought the battery pack was fixed/proprietary and if that was the case 21700 would be better.

xoH1FgO.jpg

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey if it ain't broke, don't fix it I suppose! 2x18650s is already twice as much as any of my existing headlamps so it's hard to complain about that. I'm most curious as to what your impressions of the light overall will be. I know Fenix is a pretty solid brand and you generally regard them quite well, but this looks substantially more "plasitcky." Do you think you'll end up giving it a boost at all? Not sure it would be worth it, but still, gotta ask :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Hey if it ain't broke, don't fix it I suppose! 2x18650s is already twice as much as any of my existing headlamps so it's hard to complain about that. I'm most curious as to what your impressions of the light overall will be. I know Fenix is a pretty solid brand and you generally regard them quite well, but this looks substantially more "plasitcky." Do you think you'll end up giving it a boost at all? Not sure it would be worth it, but still, gotta ask :)

I avoid boosting headlamps just because the extra oomp just blind yah and add more heat than anything. Fenix does use a lot of plastic plasti lately and it bugs me. But as long as there are good heat sinking plastic is acceptable to make a headlight lighter as long as its done right. We will see.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I avoid boosting headlamps just because the extra oomp just blind yah and add more heat than anything. Fenix does use a lot of plastic plasti lately and it bugs me. But as long as there are good heat sinking plastic is acceptable to make a headlight lighter as long as its done right. We will see.

What bothers me about all plastic (housing) high output headlamps, is that once the metal heat sinking is heat saturated, the plastic body insulates the heatsink and electronics from convection. Even if there's 2-3 ounces of copper behind the LED, it eventually gets very hot and stays hot. Meanwhile, the thermal regulation is throttling back output in order to prevent overheating, especially if it's a Fenix because they are typically conservative on their allowed temperatures. I actually think it's kind of silly and the only prominent advantage, at least for the way I use headlamp hiking/running, is perhaps weight (arguably depending on model) and cost savings for the manufacturer.

Admittedly, I might be a little hard on plastic housing headlamps because I use the ever-living, bejeezers out of them and they often have heatwaves coming off the top of them, this time of year.:laughing: I did a 5 mile mountain trail last night and ran the HM65R on full power, all the way down the mountain. It was quite hot BUT convention while moving was keeping it within reason. I've even sprayed them with a water bottle while cooling off my head.

Last edited:

makapuu

Enlightened
Nightwatch NI40 Stalker Luminus SBT 90.2
Need to change the UI. I think it starts out with moonlight and goes up.
Double click for Turbo. I don't know if the light has memory.
I would prefer if the light could be programmed to start out with Turbo with a single click.
And maintain the memory even if you do a manual tail cap lockout.
Of course a boost and beam tuning wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer if the light could be programmed to start out with Turbo with a single click.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B31qfGBDR0L/?igshid=1o76m7ciir8yd

Sent from Tapatalk

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is true, vn4 would be awesome in this light.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Ever think about modding the new 47s Quark MKIII? The driver and emitter is easily removed by design. No glue, epoxy, or locktite. There's a AA version and a 16650 version. You could maybe even offer driver/emitter mods without a light for those who already own a light, but want options...