LiteFlux LF2 questions, feedback & suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
(In other words, is the lf2x actually not only a sub-optimal, but actuallz a _bad_ joice for the proximal area? Is it annoying to walk in the dark with it because, at a normal pace, the beam is too narrow? Is it mentionably annoying when doing close-range stuff, like e.g. fumbling around with the engine of your car at night? (Sorry for my bad English.) Probably stupid questions. You get what I mean.
I personally have used both the SSC and Cree LF2s (not the LF2x, but I assume the reflectors are the same), as well as the Fenix L0D-CE. I greatly prefer the LF2 Cree out of all of them. IMO the SSC's beam pattern is actualyl somewhat too wide, its reflector is very shallow, meaning that nearly all the lumen output is spill. This makes it hard to keep from hitting other people in the eyes with the spill. If you want omnidirectional illumination, you can use the diffuser -- on the old LF2, this requiers replacing the reflector with a screw-on cap. In the case of the LF2x, the diffuser can be snapped on. Much better.

Compared to the Fenix, the LF2 cree has less throw because of the textured reflector. This is a good thing, as a tighther hotspot is actually a negative working up close. The spill in the case of the Cree is narrower, but brighter, which means there isn't as much of a difference in intensity between the hotspot and spill, and the two tend to "blend" into each other.

The best aspect of the LF2 though, Cree or SSC, is the fact that you can define the low ouptut to be whatever you want, that really is the biggest flaw with the L0D-CE IMO, all the modes are too bright to work up close with.

broadwayblue

Newly Enlightened
I've had my LF2 for a couple months now and have been impressed...although I still don't know how to use all the features (need to read up on how to adjust the brightness in the first two modes.) I'd like to start carrying it with me to work but haven't decided how. I carry my cell phone in one pocket and my keys in the other...will the LF2 get badly scratched if it's rubbing against my keys? Do most of you just attach it to your keychain...and if so, do you use a special lanyard or connector? Thanks.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my LF2 for a couple months now and have been impressed...although I still don't know how to use all the features (need to read up on how to adjust the brightness in the first two modes.) I'd like to start carrying it with me to work but haven't decided how. I carry my cell phone in one pocket and my keys in the other...will the LF2 get badly scratched if it's rubbing against my keys? Do most of you just attach it to your keychain...and if so, do you use a special lanyard or connector? Thanks.
I carry mine loose in my pocket with my pocket knife and fingernail clippers -- both pretty hard steel. No sign of wear yet, but I expect tools I use to show some eventually. If my main concern was keeping it pretty, I'd put it in a glass box for people to admire, and not risk actually using it.

c_c

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
will the LF2 get badly scratched if it's rubbing against my keys? Do most of you just attach it to your keychain...and if so, do you use a special lanyard or connector? Thanks.
I have mine on my keychain, and the light is fairly scratch resistant as it is hard-anodized, but dropping/impact can still cause the anodizing to chip as the aluminum underneath is softer. Mine has chipped in a few places around the bezel due to dropping the keychain from waist-high onto asphalt numerous times... Also, torque/pressure on keyring can cause Anodizing to chip from the lanyard ring. LF2x should be much improved for kechain carry though as it has a swappable tailcaps, including clamp, quick-release, and another to attach the light to standard tripods.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my LF2X today it took only 5 days to get here thanks Khoo.

My first impressions well all I can say it's perfect in everyway,and more than I expected great job liteflux it sure is a winner.
well without futher to do here are some pics,well pics speak for themself I belive.

first a fun comparison with a mag solitare LF2X on low.
Picture025.jpg

next the complete package

Picture019.jpg

someone tell me what this little silver ring is for?

Picture024.jpg

LF2X on a mini tripod.

Picture021.jpg

candle mode.

Picture022.jpg

LF2X with quick release cap.

Picture020.jpg

LF2X with pocket clip.

Picture023.jpg

Hope the pics come out ok and not to blurry ,and yes you know you have to get a LF2X it is awesome guys.
Thanks to Khoo,liteflux and netkidz and everone else who got my attention to this light.

enjoy :)

LED Cool

Enlightened
hi titan1833,

the LF2X's tail tripod hole is threaded shallow in order to keep the overall length short. most tripods have a longer screw thread, therefore part of the tripod's screw thread will be visible/exposed when the LF2X is attached.

that ring can be used to hide part of the tripod's exposed screw thread.

regards,
khoo

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi titan1833,

the LF2X's tail tripod hole is threaded shallow in order to keep the overall length short. most tripods have a longer screw thread, therefore part of the tripod's screw thread will be visible/exposed when the LF2X is attached.

that ring can be used to hide part of the tripod's exposed screw thread.

regards,
khoo
Thanks Khoo,Ah makes sense now and no biggy if I loose it :devil:

basill

Newly Enlightened
Got my lf2x, it is a quality bit of kit I`m very happy with the finish, accessories and Khoo`s super fast worldwide delivery. I wonder though why 100% brightness is not one of the default levels. I could have missed out on some lumens if I had not persevered. If I was the designer I would have made full power available as a default.

I spent the traditional couple of hours fiddling and studying the instructions. Now I have very low and very bright set for P1 and P2. I`ve yet to fiddle with the strobes!

B

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder though why 100% brightness is not one of the default levels.
B

Because the percieved brightness of 100% is barely brighter than 50%, while the battery life decreases by way more than half.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get the best of both worlds by leaving the variable brightness mode set to 100%, and the two settings in the normal mode to something less. That way, the 100% level is always easily available. When I'm away from home and need a dim light for seeing my way around at night, I set the variable level to a very low one. So I don't have to mess with my main two settings.

c_c

xoltri

Newly Enlightened
I have a suggestion for a possible improvement. I ran my LF2 in the following configuration: P1: 2% P2: 50% User adjustable: 100%. I always ran it with 10440's.

I ran into a situation a couple times where I was in 100% mode and the battery went dead, after giving me the warning flashes. However, the battery probably would still have capacity left if it were switched to a lower setting, but this was impossible to do since the light would turn off too fast.

Ideally it would be nice if the light would switch to the lowest light output level once the low voltage detection kicks in, to at least allow some light output until the battery is actually dead (not just sagging from high current draw).

Thoughts?

Tubor

Enlightened
I agree this is something that would improve the whole LF range as I've had problems with doing ANYTHING once the low-voltage warning starts kicking in.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Sorry Gravityz but I simply hate strobe and SOS so I am not in a position to help you. :shrug:

All my Fenix lights gather dust on a shelf because they do have both strobe and SOS that can not be easily avoided. :shakehead
Want to get rid of some Fenix lights?

My EDC is my L0D Q4 and I think that anyone having trouble avoiding the strobe/sos modes is getting carried away twisting too fast. Having only carried mine for a couple weeks I've had no problem and don't believe anyone else should once they get used to them.

Give your lights another chance and you may learn to love them. :thumbsup:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend, I am truly sorry but after having used for a while a light where I decide which level comes first and which second and where strobe and SOS are so well hidden I am not even able to switch them on, I simply can't appreciate Fenix L0D's any longer. And I have three of them. ;)

So I now EDC an LF2 SSC for flood and an LF2X CREE for throw and that's it. :cool:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My friend, I am truly sorry but after having used for a while a light where I decide which level comes first and which second and where strobe and SOS are so well hidden I am not even able to switch them on, I simply can't appreciate Fenix L0D's any longer. And I have three of them. ;)

So I now EDC an LF2 SSC for flood and an LF2X CREE for throw and that's it. :cool:
Want to sell some L0D's? :grin2:

If you're using 2 different models of LF2 for throw/flood, which would you take if only carrying one?

I really want to get one of these too!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're using 2 different models of LF2 for throw/flood, which would you take if only carrying one?

Although the new LF2X puts out a really impressive amount of light, my choice would be LF2 SSC because of its smoother and wider beam. :cool:

Try one, you will be happy. :thumbsup:

BTW I have a total of 10 Fenix lights so no one can say I am a Fenix basher..... :naughty:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> Ideally it would be nice if the light would switch to the lowest light output level once
> the low voltage detection kicks in, to at least allow some light output

Definite yes. And remember so it doesn't go back to 100 percent til the next battery change.

Simple matter of programming? (Yes, I realize there is no such thing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.