Little help with a 8D maglite

JarrodJames

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, first post, I'm building an 8D mag-lite, i have a 6D lite plus 2D extension tube and 8 9000mah batteries ready to go, what are your recommendations for a high powered incandescent bulb, correct me if I'm wrong but 8x 1.2volts is 9.6 volts, so a 9 volt xenon lamp would do the trick? any particular brands you can recommend? plus it would have to be shipped to Australia :sigh: i was looking at the official xenon mag-lite bulbs which are cheapish and available locally but perhaps something more extra-ordinary..............

-Jarrod

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
what are your recommendations for a high powered incandescent bulb, 8x 1.2volts is 9.6 volts, so a 9 volt xenon lamp would do the trick?
Brightest bulb for 8 NiMH is WA1164 which you can find in marketplace of this forums. You will need bi pin socket and replacing reflector with aluminum one and lens with Pyrex (high temp) will be necessary.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, first post, I'm building an 8D mag-lite, i have a 6D lite plus 2D extension tube and 8 9000mah batteries ready to go, what are your recommendations for a high powered incandescent bulb, correct me if I'm wrong but 8x 1.2volts is 9.6 volts, so a 9 volt xenon lamp would do the trick? any particular brands you can recommend? plus it would have to be shipped to Australia :sigh: i was looking at the official xenon mag-lite bulbs which are cheapish and available locally but perhaps something more extra-ordinary..............

-Jarrod

Most "9v" xenon bulbs are only nominally 9v. Mag Lite, for example, rates their bulbs in multiples of 1.2v because 1.5v (nominal again) alkalines drop voltage under load. So the Solitaire bulb is rated 1.2v, the Mini Mag 2.4, 3D 3.6, 4D 4.8, 5d 6v, and so on. At 9.6v you're getting out of the territory of PIR bulbs I know about.

How on earth did you get 8 D NiMH to Australia, koalas on the black market? :p

If you want to try something that might look crazy, check out LuxLuthor's incan overdriving threads. Pick any 9.6v mod there, and killing mag bulbs here.

I have put a 4-cell (6v nominal 4.8v rated) Krypton bulb on 8.4v and it was astonishing for about an hour. A 6D bulb (7.2v) in that flashlight driven to 9.6v should be quite bright, but I can't tell you how long it will last. It'll be a fun $10 experiment though, right?

Howecollc

Enlightened
You could use the Carley CL-808p which is rated 9.6v 1.2a @ spec (276 b-lumens). This is probably as bright as you could go without having to change the reflector and lens. It's a potted bulb just like the standard Mag bulbs, so it just drops right in. You can find it in this thread listed under "available potted bulbs".

JarrodJames

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the reply's so far, i do have a borofloat lens, but i would need a new reflector (CPF market place right?) how hard is it to get a socket for the WA1164 that wouldnt interfere with the reflector?

Last edited:

FBsLights

Newly Enlightened
Check out fivemega's "My Products" link at the bottom of his post. He has sockets and reflectors.

Highly recommended.

FB

Freax

Banned
I'd go for a 10D (1 more 2D extension) and go up to 12 volts, so I can use a bipin adapter (or a Mag D Soft Start) and a mag switch hotwire which is what I am currently doing in another thread, then I can use ordinary run of the mill off the shelf available everywhere 50 watt 12v Halogens.

Or an Osram 64458 90 Watt globe *drool* eg: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320478-64458-6D-Mag-build...-WOW!

Just don't be go using it outside during a thunderstorm, some cloud might think you are a tree....

Last edited: