Locator Beacon

PayBack

Enlightened
That's definitely good. Try that with something like the T60CS... 20 lumen low :) That's an interesting idea though for the IVR ring lights. Thanks for that.

20 lumens would be way to high for a locator.. I'd have trouble sleeping lol. Like with my Maelstrom G5.. I originally thought the 0.2 low low would be just bright enough to find the light, where as it's good enough to navigate by and too bright as a locator... even with my 45 year old eyes. The 0.01 lumens on the 502 is just right.. even the GITD "reflector" is brighter for the first couple of hours.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I think its just some GITD something shoved in the little cut out for the keyring and tail standing part.

cyclesport

Enlightened
The power went out and of course my home EDC was not with me the ONE time. The house ambient LED lights switched on but I was able to spot the TM11 across the room... Blinking red ring every 3 seconds.

What other lights have locator beacons?

I'm currently awaiting Niteye's new MS series of lights for that very feature, and interesting new UI. See the CPF review...

Niteye MS Series (MSC10, MSA10, MSC20, MSA20) Review

I'm guessing availability should be soon.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Is it confirmed that the green light stays on?

Hmmm might have to chat with Niteeye...

cyclesport

Enlightened

Candle lamp didn't specifically state in his review if it stays on or not, nor does Niteye currently show this series on their website. I'm guessing it does since many new lights utilize a battery monitoring LED that stays on, but won't know till specs are announced.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Probably not "cool" to say so :D here, but the Nite Ize IQ switch for the old AA mini maglite has a red locator beacon. We don't have many total power outages where I am, but for an easy-to-grab light in total darkness this would qualify.
I'm not sure how long it would run with the beacon on but as it is simply a tiny red pulse every so often, I'd think it would be quite a long time. Would be easy enough to see if you left it in a known place.

On the other hand, I nearly always have my mobile (cell) phone in my pocket or close by and I can use that to find any of the lights I have about the place.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Looked at the Nitecore Explorer series (EA, EC) and was dismayed at the thirsty red beacon. I can have the Eagletac D25A Ti run on super low 30x longer than having just the beacon on in the Nitecore EA1 equiv!

cyclesport

Enlightened

FYI...candle lamp recently confirmed that the red/green battery indicator does stay on indefinitely when tuned off with this series of lights. So it looks like it would be a good locator beacon.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Sweet, thanks. Now to wonder what the standby time is with that light...

cyclesport

Enlightened
Sweet, thanks. Now to wonder what the standby time is with that light...

Yep...still a few lingering questions. But if this series comes to market as quick as the rest of their rapidly growing product line, we'll soon know.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Yep...still a few lingering questions. But if this series comes to market as quick as the rest of their rapidly growing product line, we'll soon know.

Wow they have some great stuff coming around the corner very shortly...

GRunner

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

One of the best lights I have for use in blackouts is the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme lantern. It has a green blinking locator light that shines every 5 seconds when the light is off. A stated 300 lumens on high, 150 lumens on low and a strobe mode. It uses 3 "D" size batteries and has a long run time. It's a very nice area light.