Long Throw, Always coes on in High, 18650

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
So, I have decided to find another light. I am a Deputy Sheriff and for the last couple off years I have been running the Klarus XT11 (XM-L U2 - 1x18650), with great success. Actually this light is perfect and I would recommend this light to all Cops out there. However, I now want a light with a lot more throw than the Klarus provides. Here is what I want:
1. Always comes on in the highest mode possible. I don't want to be messing around with buttons when I need to light something up fast.
2. One handed operation.
3. Long Throw: 400 meters
4. Powered by 1, 18650. I might be able to be talked into 2, 18650, but that will cut down on the portability of the light.
5. Forward tactical switch.
6. $100 budget.

I looked at a review of the Fenix TK32 and liked the light except the fact that it has mode memory and it comes on at the last white light mode used. That is a deal breaker. In a dynamic situation, I want the light to come on in high, Everytime.

So, what would ya'll recommend?

ven

Flashaholic
The armytek predator pro v2.5 is good for that, set 2 mode groups, 1st to always come on in high with forward tac clicky(only way to actually change modes is head twists, so no risk of that). Group 2 which is head loose can be set to strobe(or moon light or or or etc)

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek Predator Pro LE XP-L HI. similar to version 2.5, but with more Lux and Lumens. More throw and output.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a tactical light but a two 18650 light that meets your needs, is the Nitecore EC4.

One thing that I need to add, beware of asking for too much out of too little. I don't want you to be disappointed in what you finalize on. The light that put a smile on my face was the Nitecore TM16...........now I'm waiting on the money to buy a TM16GT. It has twice the down range luminescence of the TM16.

Last edited:

Trav

Newly Enlightened
I would check out the Nitecore P36, it's a 2x 18650 compact design with an MT-G2 emitter that produces 2000 lumens and is rated for 300 meters of throw. Although it does have mode memory, it tactical and has a rotary switch that can instantly get to the max output with a flick of the thumb.

The Nitecore EC4S is a more compact and lighter 2x 18650 design with over 2K lumens in turbo with instant access to turbo but utilizes a side switch so it may not be good for an LE duty light and is the newer model to the EC4.

The Olight M3XS - UT Javelot could be ran in a 2x 18650 configuration or 3x CR123 and would provide you with 1000 meters of throw, although longer and a bit more cumbersome to carry. You could run it like a Maglite, keep it in the patrol car and only carry it when you need that throw and use your Klaurus as your primary duty light.

I just purchased all these recently for sub $90 or less so you would be able to stay on budget with all 3 flashlights I listed above.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I have decided to find another light. I am a Deputy Sheriff and for the last couple off years I have been running the Klarus XT11 (XM-L U2 - 1x18650), with great success. Actually this light is perfect and I would recommend this light to all Cops out there. However, I now want a light with a lot more throw than the Klarus provides. Here is what I want:
1. Always comes on in the highest mode possible. I don't want to be messing around with buttons when I need to light something up fast.
2. One handed operation.
3. Long Throw: 400 meters
4. Powered by 1, 18650. I might be able to be talked into 2, 18650, but that will cut down on the portability of the light.
5. Forward tactical switch.
6. $100 budget.

I looked at a review of the Fenix TK32 and liked the light except the fact that it has mode memory and it comes on at the last white light mode used. That is a deal breaker. In a dynamic situation, I want the light to come on in high, Everytime.

So, what would ya'll recommend?

Delta, what size hotspot do you need? Some of these lights can throw far, but can do so only with a pencil beam. Also your throw requirement of 400 meters, do you need to light something up well at that range, or need just the manufacture's spec to be at that range? There's a big difference.

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
Delta, what size hotspot do you need? Some of these lights can throw far, but can do so only with a pencil beam. Also your throw requirement of 400 meters, do you need to light something up well at that range, or need just the manufacture's spec to be at that range? There's a big difference.

I don't mind the pencil beam, as long as I get the throw from it. I will continue to carry the Klarus as my primary light and then just use this thrower when there is a need to reach out there and light something up that is beyond the range of the Klarus. I would like to be able to light up a man at 400 meters, but that may be a lot to ask.

Trav

Newly Enlightened
I don't mind the pencil beam, as long as I get the throw from it. I will continue to carry the Klarus as my primary light and then just use this thrower when there is a need to reach out there and light something up that is beyond the range of the Klarus. I would like to be able to light up a man at 400 meters, but that may be a lot to ask.
If your going to try and stay under $100 budget then the Olight M3XS - UT Javelot is the only light I can think of that would be possibly able to light up a man at 400 meters as its a pencil beam light designed for long range throw. I just checked and its still on sale for $84, quite the bargain when everyone else has it still at $150.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, where can I buy the Olight M3XS for $84. And how would the M3XS compare to the M2X?
Thanks!
Just saw this thread. My humble 2 cents only cause you're LEO. Olight seems to have a QC problem with this light and now there customer service is sucking. Search and you'll find the issues. With your job reliability is a must. My vote would be for a SR52UTvn option spec 1
http://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/sr52utvn

Or the T20vn. I know they're a little more than you wanted to spend but quailty cost. Also buy once cry once. If you could i would even go for spec 3 on the SR53UTvn - more lumens and lux plus a programmable driver. Also Vinh not only mods but any QC issues from the factory he finds and fixes. i.e. a loose solder joint or poor wire size etc. His warranty and customer service is top notch.

Merry Christmas and be safe!

Oh yea...... no stock light will even come close to throwing as far as a Sky lumens light when comparing similar size and most will beat light that are 2 or 3 classes larger.

Last edited:

Trav

Newly Enlightened
Ok, where can I buy the Olight M3XS for $84. And how would the M3XS compare to the M2X?
Thanks!
Gearbest has it in their USA warehouse for that price. The M3XS is brighter and throws 200 meters farther according to the specs. There are some good comparison videos on youtube, goinggear has a video that shows the difference near the end.

If you can afford it, the SR52UTvn looks like a light that would be a better alternative for your purposes than the M3XS UT given its 800 meters of spec throw, USB rechargeable, longer run times, and of course its a Sky Lumen light.

rainy_

Newly Enlightened
Id recommend the Armytek Dobermann as a duty light. Smaller head than the Predator but the limited edition still throws almost as far, while beeing better at close range than the Predator. Quality controll seems to be 50/50 at Armytek though.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id recommend the Armytek Dobermann as a duty light. Smaller head than the Predator but the limited edition still throws almost as far, while beeing better at close range than the Predator. Quality controll seems to be 50/50 at Armytek though.

Being that unreliable, it should NOT be anyone's duty light.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gearbest has it in their USA warehouse for that price. The M3XS is brighter and throws 200 meters farther according to the specs. There are some good comparison videos on youtube, goinggear has a video that shows the difference near the end.

If you can afford it, the SR52UTvn looks like a light that would be a better alternative for your purposes than the M3XS UT given its 800 meters of spec throw, USB rechargeable, longer run times, and of course its a Sky Lumen light.

M3X has a larger, more usable hotspot than the M2X, but not as portable.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light just came out and will get you where you want to go.

In my opinion, the specs are sweet and meet your posted specs. Myself, I'm still looking to buy the TM16GT but it's a S&R light as opposed to being a tactical light.

Nitecore MH40GT.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
This light just came out and will get you where you want to go.

Nitecore MH40GT.

A bit bulky,,ehh? ALMOST 10" LONG.

The M2X is almost exactly the same output[7m more throw!] , 3.5" shorter, is a 1 x 18650 and a few dollars cheaper,actually $30 if u get it from Illumns!

A better choice all the way around! :thumbsup:

add a "VN" to the end an increase your throw by 350m+!

rainy_

Newly Enlightened
Being that unreliable, it should NOT be anyone's duty light.
50/50 was somewhat exaggerated as im sure you understand. If you get one of the "good" lights though, they are great. My Dobermann never gave me any trouble, but i had another AT light which did. From what i can read online, too many have qc issues with AT though.

Latest posts