LONG throw

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
Budget is 1000.00

I tried to do this cheaply and bought somthing that worked for a week.. was only a 50w hid that was advertised as a 100w hid.... I figure I'll just spend the money and get what I want.

So, here is what I want.... I want something that will approach or exceed the performance of a maxabeam.... or a maxabeam if one is available for my price. I'm looking for long throw. I have a good general purpose TK75 I use around here but, I have land and I have coyotes and things far, far away that I want to light up at night.

Whatever it is, I want it to be able to service it or have it serviced..... I sort of want a maxabeam but, 1000.00 is not 2000.00.....

Can it be done?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Budget is 1000.00

I tried to do this cheaply and bought somthing that worked for a week.. was only a 50w hid that was advertised as a 100w hid.... I figure I'll just spend the money and get what I want.

So, here is what I want.... I want something that will approach or exceed the performance of a maxabeam.... or a maxabeam if one is available for my price. I'm looking for long throw. I have a good general purpose TK75 I use around here but, I have land and I have coyotes and things far, far away that I want to light up at night.

Whatever it is, I want it to be able to service it or have it serviced..... I sort of want a maxabeam but, 1000.00 is not 2000.00.....

Can it be done?

You could look at FitzHID.

At what range did you want to be able to either see, or, shoot, a coyote at?

List both ranges if different.

:D

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
You could look at FitzHID.

At what range did you want to be able to either see, or, shoot, a coyote at?

List both ranges if different.

Ok, You've got my attention!!!

Don't know where to look for that... Can you help?

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
Coyotes appear anywhere from 100yds out to about 8 or 900yds and, I shoot my big rifles in the daytime out to over 2000yds. :) I don't play golf but, I do love long range shooting!

My 300wm will accurately shoot pretty far out there but, my 375 CheyTac will outshoot a 50cal for distance and accuracy.

So, I'll never get that far out there with any light I can afford but, it'd be nice to get as far as I can afford at the moment. heheh

So trying to be realistic, I could ethically take a coyote out to about 700yds with my 300wm at night if I could see him. My optics are a 5.5-22x56 NightForce scope so, at 22 power, a good light would be enough to do it.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Coyotes appear anywhere from 100yds out to about 8 or 900yds and, I shoot my big rifles in the daytime out to over 2000yds. :) I don't play golf but, I do love long range shooting!

My 300wm will accurately shoot pretty far out there but, my 375 CheyTac will outshoot a 50cal for distance and accuracy.

So, I'll never get that far out there with any light I can afford but, it'd be nice to get as far as I can afford at the moment. heheh

OK, night time shots of 900 yards, that's impressive.

OK, assuming an illuminated optic, you're going to need at least ~ 1-5 lux on target to aim well...depending on your night vision and the target's background, etc.

You want ~ 823 meters, with at least one lux on target as a starting point, so that's a light with ~ 677,329 cd.

This would be the ball park range for lights such as the DEFTX, and (Barely) TK61vn, etc....pretty high performance LED throwers.

If you needed 5 lux at that range though, it would require the cd to be more like ~ 3,386,645 cd (~ 3.4 million cd = ~ 5x more cd)

Depending on your night vision, etc, just figure on ~ 677k cd per lux on target you need, so one lux = 677k cd, 2 lux = ~1,354k cd, and so forth.

Last edited:

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
OK, night time shots of 900 yards, that's impressive.

Just takes the right equipment. Use a rangefinder and an applied ballistics kestrel and that goes a LONG way to getting that first round on target. heheh When shooting the 375 out past 1500yds, you really do have to take into account the direction you're shooting and the spin of the earth. Believe it or not, If you're shooting north or south and you're shooting 2000yds, the correction for just the spin of the earth is about 20 inches.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
keep an eye out on CPF Marketplace (its a completely separate forum, you will need to join over there too, most of us use the same username as here)
i have bought two second hand Maxabeams, first (A Gen2) was 700USD + Shipping, the second (a Gen3) was $1000USD + Shipping, but came with a pelican case and a bunch of accessories

heres a pic of the Gen2 (on medium, 50W not 75W) reaching out almost 1000 yards
my Gen2 has a Ushio UXL-75XE bulb in ParkerVH adapters, it shouldn't be any brighter than a stock bulb, but due to the spherical arc chamber it should cut down on optical arc displacement a little and throw a slightly tighter beam than the old style straight walled bulbs it should have come with from the factory.
i have tested the Gen2 at 7.2 Million CP on high (thats a true proper 7.2MCP too, not a marketing number)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Just takes the right equipment. Use a rangefinder and an applied ballistics kestrel and that goes a LONG way to getting that first round on target. heheh When shooting the 375 out past 1500yds, you really do have to take into account the direction you're shooting and the spin of the earth. Believe it or not, If you're shooting north or south and you're shooting 2000yds, the correction for just the spin of the earth is about 20 inches.

I used to teach marksmanship back in the '70's...so, I know what you mean.

We didn't have shot computers back then of course, just charts and marks on things.

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
keep an eye out on CPF Marketplace (its a completely separate forum, you will need to join over there too, most of us use the same username as here)
i have bought two second hand Maxabeams, first (A Gen2) was 700USD + Shipping, the second (a Gen3) was $1000USD + Shipping, but came with a pelican case and a bunch of accessories

heres a pic of the Gen2 (on medium, 50W not 75W) reaching out almost 1000 yards
my Gen2 has a Ushio UXL-75XE bulb in ParkerVH adapters, it shouldn't be any brighter than a stock bulb, but due to the spherical arc chamber it should cut down on optical arc displacement a little and throw a slightly tighter beam than the old style straight walled bulbs it should have come with from the factory.
i have tested the Gen2 at 7.2 Million CP on high (thats a true proper 7.2MCP too, not a marketing number)

WOW!!!

I'll join over there and have a look! I'm not in a huge hurry. I want to get what I want this time.

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
I used to teach marksmanship back in the '70's...so, I know what you mean.

We didn't have shot computers back then of course, just charts and marks on things.

I used to shoot the national match course ( service rifle ) as a kid and, that gave me the long range bug... Now I'm old enough to afford the cool equipment so, it's sort of my only expensive hobby till I found this place! hahaha

The ballistics on some of the new rounds are amazing... The 375CT will launch a 350gr solid copper projectile out the end of the barrel at 3250fps.... it stays supersonic out to about 3000yds at sea level and much further if you go up in altitude.... you can have 4+ second flight times to target... it's pretty cool but, you simply can't use ballistic charts on that kind of flight time... Out to 1000yds with the 300wm is no trouble... flight time is 1.5 secs so, environmentals aren't too hard to figure out.

Last edited:

CamoNinja

Enlightened
Here ya go. lol good luck in your quest. That CheyTac is awesome.

1206-AVIGILANTE-BORDER-vigilante_full_380.jpg

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
LOL@ you guys!

Thanks for the replies... I know where to look now and, I promise not to get in too big of a hurry... I want to find the right fit this time!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL@ you guys!

Thanks for the replies... I know where to look now and, I promise not to get in too big of a hurry... I want to find the right fit this time!

A good start is a known light with known cd, and, seeing what ranges it will work at, as that tells you the lux on target YOU need.

You can then extrapolate to the longer ranges, and have a spec that you know is relevant.

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
A good start is a known light with known cd, and, seeing what ranges it will work at, as that tells you the lux on target YOU need.

You can then extrapolate to the longer ranges, and have a spec that you know is relevant.

How about the TK75 2900 version at 250yds? That seems like an appropriate amount for even long shots with the right optics.

dss_777

Enlightened

So trying to be realistic, I could ethically take a coyote out to about 700yds with my 300wm at night if I could see him.
My optics are a 5.5-22x56 NightForce scope so, at 22 power, a good light would be enough to do it.

I have zero experience with this sort of thing, but am very curious: at 700yds, what are that scope's inherent limitations in light gathering at full magnification?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
How about the TK75 2900 version at 250yds? That seems like an appropriate amount for even long shots with the right optics.

Its cd is close at 250 meters (Sorry, yard conversions make my head hurt...), about a 1/2 lux instead of 1 lux.

The nightforce has a rep as having great light gathering...hence the lux values I suggested.

Again, YOUR night vision may be better than most people's, or, worse, I can't tell from here. :D

(If you look in American Rifleman, etc, they do scope reviews, and, use a 100 w light bulb at 25 yards or so to illuminate a target....giving line graduations that the scope can resolve at that level of illumination. That's how THEY rate scope for night use at least. I calculated what that level of light was, but off the top of my head, I don't recall it...but, remember it conceptually being similar to what I found in my own research regarding night shooting....the point being you can see what a particular SCOPE was capable of....if they tested it.)

Again, 250 meters is a LOT closer than 800+ meters...so a lower cd is going to be OK.

Generally, depending on night vision, etc, a paper target might be hittable at 250 yards with ~ 0.3 - 1 lux on it with a good scope. The ACCURACY is going to suffer as the light dims though, as the part you aim with, your fovea, has the worse night vision, and generally, needs more light to function well.

So guys who smack bullz all day long in daylight at 250 yards, start to miss the PAPER at sub-lumen levels, as well as spraying the target more randomly than they would in daylight, etc.

Last edited:

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
I don't believe I worded my response correctly. :)

I'd say the TK75 2900 at 250yds has about the amount of light I'm trying to throw 700yds. or even further if I can afford it. heheh :)

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
Its cd is close at 250 meters (Sorry, yard conversions make my head hurt...), about a 1/2 lux instead of 1 lux.

The nightforce has a rep as having great light gathering...hence the lux values I suggested.

Again, YOUR night vision may be better than most people's, or, worse, I can't tell from here. :D

(If you look in American Rifleman, etc, they do scope reviews, and, use a 100 w light bulb at 25 yards or so to illuminate a target....giving line graduations that the scope can resolve at that level of illumination. That's how THEY rate scope for night use at least. I calculated what that level of light was, but off the top of my head, I don't recall it...but, remember it conceptually being similar to what I found in my own research regarding night shooting....the point being you can see what a particular SCOPE was capable of....if they tested it.)

Again, 250 meters is a LOT closer than 800+ meters...so a lower cd is going to be OK.

Generally, depending on night vision, etc, a paper target might be hittable at 250 yards with ~ 0.3 - 1 lux on it with a good scope. The ACCURACY is going to suffer as the light dims though, as the part you aim with, your fovea, has the worse night vision, and generally, needs more light to function well.

So guys who smack bullz all day long in daylight at 250 yards, start to miss the PAPER at sub-lumen levels, as well as spraying the target more randomly than they would in daylight, etc.

The nightforce is on the 300wm... on the 375, I have a U.S. Optics SN-9 10-42x80mm... The thing has an 80mm objective for gathering light and magnifies to 42x.... You have no problems either gathering light or seeing what you're shooting at... even at over a mile away... .the scope weighs about 5lbs... the rifle about 22 more.

Latest posts