Looking For A Budget Light

Spin

Enlightened
I'm interested in purchasing a budget light that takes one CR123A/RCR123 battery. Looking for 250-300 lumens with some throw & flood. What's available? Thanks.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your definition of budget?

Solarforce Z1
Sens CR
Fenix E15
SWM S10R
Mini ML ...

Then it starts to go up from there. CR123 for the most part = more expensive lights from what I have found. Nothing like the AA or AAA world in terms of pricing. Even the CR123 batteries are more expensive.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I love my Olight S1 and if you can find a group buy or sale they are fairly reasonable. The TIR optic creates a diffuse spotlight that might give you a mix of throw and flood that you want. It takes rcr123a as well, which would be cheaper than using CR123A all the time.
What exactly is your budget?

Wendee

Enlightened
I was on GearBest and saw the "On the Road M3" on sale for ~$20.00 (regular price is still good at ~$30.00). That's for the "single pack" (there's a bundle deal at higher price). It comes in CW or NW. I believe it comes with a battery (?). It's still on sale.

Out of curiosity I googled some reviews and it looks pretty good. I read it's like the Olight S1.

I have no experience with CR123 lights so I can't recommend anything but maybe it's worth taking a look? :shrug:

Spin

Enlightened
My budget 'was' $35 but, after reading up on various lights i will have to go higher for a quality light. It appears a 2AA light may suit my preference. My interest is using it as a 'walk around the house light' as well as a bike light.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Astrolight S1 / BLF A6 - simple design tube light. Can run on 18650, 18350 or 16340. Won't run on CR123 though. Max output is around 1700 lumens, but if you run at medium modes the battery should last plenty long enough for biking.

Alternatively, try a Convoy S2+ mini.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
My budget 'was' $35 but, after reading up on various lights i will have to go higher for a quality light. It appears a 2AA light may suit my preference. My interest is using it as a 'walk around the house light' as well as a bike light.

I seriously recommend if your bike rides last more than 20 minutes you buy a dedicated bicycle light, preferably something that doesn't throw half of it's light up into the stratosphere, that 300 lumens is only 150 lumens for bicycling, anything not dedicated will need the lumens halved to compare to real bike lights.

ZippoThisKnifeThat

Newly Enlightened
I second the notion for a dedicated light for your bicycle *if* you're putting out miles. I use a 1000 lumen front light on the handle bars when I'm cycling at night. (Not always on max) Anything under 600 lumens will make it difficult to perceive things when moving quickly.

Everyone else has already made solid rec's for an affordable edc. :]

Witterings

Enlightened
I was on GearBest and saw the "On the Road M3" on sale for ~$20.00 (regular price is still good at ~$30.00). That's for the "single pack" (there's a bundle deal at higher price). It comes in CW or NW. I believe it comes with a battery (?). It's still on sale.

I hope this is better than the i3 which is the focus version of the same torch, I bought one recently and it's quoted output levels are a complete joke ... my SK 68 makes it look like it's not been switched on. I tried to do a "bad" review which they blocked and haven't published so don't trust the reviews on gear best as they only let the good reviews through and censor any bad ones.

-JP

Newly Enlightened
I think the Maratac 123 in any material is a great bang for buck. I own the Cu and love it.