Looking for a good thrower that's not huge

bnewmane

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a good thrower light that's not overly big. I have narrowed it down between the Fenix LD60, Nitecore EA8, Nitecore TM11, and Olight SR52. This is my first "thrower" purchase and I was just wanting some insight to whats the best light for my money. Thanks!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you see the Armytek Predator series? They throw very well. Not quite pocket size, comes with a nice hip holster. I like to carry mine front inside jacket or vest pocket. Head is not extremely large like a lot of throwers, but the reflector is quite deep.

bnewmane

Newly Enlightened
Did you see the Armytek Predator series? They throw very well. Not quite pocket size, comes with a nice hip holster. I like to carry mine front inside jacket or vest pocket. Head is not extremely large like a lot of throwers, but the reflector is quite deep.

I haven't seen the Armytek. I'll have to check it out.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan of the Predator as well. But that being said, as a starting point I'd try to settle down to a battery type. I see a couple AA based lights in your list, do you want AA specifically? If so, that's great and we can make a recommendation but if you are open to 18650s li-ion you will find a higher performance/size ratio.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking for a good thrower light that's not overly big. I have narrowed it down between the Fenix LD60, Nitecore EA8, Nitecore TM11, and Olight SR52. This is my first "thrower" purchase.

The Olight M2X-UT throws great for a single 18650 cell light. The newly introduced M3X-UT can be feed by two 18650 cells.

The Nitecore TM11 isn't known as a thrower. The TM15 throws further than the TM11 and can be found on sale for less than the TM11.

tnek13

Newly Enlightened
I second the Olight M2X-UT Javelin I have been looking at throwers and it is on my short list. Look at the various reviews on this site and compare the beam shots. You will find some great lights. I just started looking and have ended up buying two so far, this is addictive.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Take a gander at Vinh's sub-forum, and his small throwers. His stuff is insanely good.

:D

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been checking out the viking - 300 meters of throw.......

Viking is a little like a wider version of the Predator... sort of. Got my eyes on the Barracuda, also wondering what they're working on based on the Armytek "Dream" thread.

Predator throws and throws well. Viking is no slouch, but it's a wider focus and wouldn't do as well at the edge of the biggest field that I light up at night. I just use a diffuser on the Pred if I want wide throw for the smaller meadows.

Too many irons in the fire. I've got a total of 6 watts of laser inbound, this, that, and the other. That's not even counting me straight giving my wallet to Vinh. :) Least I don't have to worry about having too much money!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need it pack sized. Mainly getting it for nightime Canyon Scrambling @ Zion, and also as a solid BOB light. I started @ Cuda, but the size and weight would be overkill in this application. You also have the StreamLight Polytac HP coming in at near 300 meters @ just 4.4 OZ, thats no slouch for $50 and a lifetime warranty. That said, I do realize the Armytek is in a different league so don't jump my bones, it sounds like a fantastic light. What does the weight come in @ for the Viking? Im just not interested in that predator bezel, total deal breaker for me.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
I have the LD60 and I love the light but wouldn't consider it a thrower. My TN32 kills the LD60 in throw but it's a bulkier heavier light

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

Latest posts