Looking for a Hunting Flashlight

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also,

in addition to the comprehensive checklist that is linked in the correct section of this forum,

Here is the Ultra Short checklist:

East of the Mississippi River: Fenix TK75 Vn Q70.

West of the Mississippi River: Acebeam K70 Vn.

Loomun

Newly Enlightened
It really depends on what size you want and how much you want to spend, like a pocket light or bigger ?
Way too many to list as there are so many to choose from, Fenix makes some great quality lights, Govolt makes some good lights as well. Best of luck in your decision

grinch27

Newly Enlightened
Well just a Flashlight that would light up the woods nice for me to find my treestand. Thanks sorry for being so vague��

grinch27

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the Eagletac that has 4000 lumens, so something that can light up a large area and still be compact?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at this Nitecore EC4SW, it be available at dazed1's page. That's where I got mine. Cheers.

Edit:

He doesn't have the exact same model, he had to arrange this specially. Just ask him. Enjoy.

Loomun

Newly Enlightened
IMO 4000 Lumens is way more than needed, something between 500 and 1000 will do a great job, my suggestion is what ever you choose to go with is to make sure that it has an adjustable head to give you either a spot and be able to adjust the flood to the size space that you want to light up, if I were looking to buy what you seek, my choice would be a Fenix FD40 or a Govolt G5, they both will do what I described, however, if 4000 Lumens is what you seek, I say go for it.

irongate

Enlightened
Also look at the Fenix HL60R or any other head lights that you do not have to carry going up your ladder.
anything in that 350-600 lm range is good.

gsr

Enlightened
Consider the First Light USA TORQ. 155 lumens of reasonably neutral white, with a decent throw, and two lower levels. You also have three levels of red, green, and blue, which can be useful on a hunt. It runs on 2 AA, has a rotatable right angle head that allows you to clip it on you, and point the light where you need it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Definitely consider a headlamp.

First consider how water proof it is in case you get rained on.

Consider something with levels where you can have max brightness for distance but a lower setting for finding dropped items or finding your breakfast bar while in the stand or reloading so you won't blind yourself.

Also consider one with a good combo of spot vs spill so you get plenty of diffusion from your light when on high. Lights that have whopping spot lights can cause self blinding while walking in dense wooded areas from all the light bouncing off the trees. But you still want something that throws at least a couple hundred feet to see your stand.

A local hunting supply store should be able to sell you something they themselves use. I don't mean some big box store like ****s or Bass Pro Shops, but your local family run deal where they sell what they themselves use.

If it is a 'permanent' stand you may consider a couple of strips of reflector tape somewhere to provide clues of its location long before you get to it. 4000 lumens may alert Bambi and every other deer in the entire zip code you are approaching.

Please let us know what you went with and how you like it.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I use a Nitecore HC90 headlamp and carry a long tube Manker E-14 (Nichia 219 version) in a holster in my belt. The headlamp is great for most uses while the E-14 has a high CRI (Color Rendition index) which is helpful for trying to follow a blood trail in the dark.

One requirement for all of my hunting lights is that it must have a mechanical lockout. I have pulled a light from my pack only to find it on or dead too many times. Not more.

For longer nighttime deer recoveries I also use a Klarus G30 and/or a custom Convoy C8 with a dedomed XP-G2. It is noce to have a flashlight with some reach when looking for that white belly in the dark.

Bob

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A headlamp is a must. Holding a light in your mouth just makes you drool. So gutting a deer or something like that will be a pain with one hand holding the light and the other one holding your knife.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Here is a previous post of his back in March of this year.

Hey guys thanks for the replies! Well to clarify I don't mean hunting with the light. I'm up on the east coat and usually hunting Whitetail. I have a Petzl headlamp which works pretty good. I meant what type of flashlight would be handy when I park my quad and am hiking up to my stand and prior to me going out a super bright light to survey they land there are quite a few coyote and black bear up there. Thanks in advance...

He was also looking at the Zebralight SC62W I don't know if he ever got it.

grinch27

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies right now I have an HDS Rotary that I will be taking with me, I think what will help me the most is a great headlamp which I will look at the ones you guys have suggested on this thread. Reason I was asking about a High Lumen light is at night after Hunting is over we like to look at whats out there in the field 2-300 yards away. I never got the Zebralight, I did get the Nitecore SRT7 but lost it in the woods. Thanks again guys appreciate all the responses again.

grinch27

Newly Enlightened
Thanks your post is awesome and Im taking your advice Ill let u know how it went!

I can't believe someone hasn't suggested this.

~ Chance :eek:oo:
redneck_swiss_army_gun.jpg