Looking for a light for a 60+ year old woman

bykfixer

Flashaholic
D6EA12CE-2E2D-4E1E-8293-5CAECF8A7C27.jpeg

Energizer brands says "if you can't beat 'em buy 'em"

cbxer55

Enlightened
Well. I'm a 60 year old male, and I edc an Acebeam E70 in my left front pocket daily. I recently gave a 53 year old female friend a Fenix PD36PE. I think the newer lights with the 21700 batteries with built-in charging ports are super handy and friendly to use.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I was 22 I thought 35 was old. What seemed like 8 months later I was staring down the barrel of 50 thinking 60 aint old……at all. My only complaint is my ears……they're Yuge now!! lol.

A coworker was told one day "boy you look old". He chuckled and replied "it's not the age, it's the mileage".

In the meantime flashlights have come a long ways in recent times so there are lots and lots and lots to choose from. I think it really boils down to how complicated the gift would be and how the gift receiver would gain from it.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rayovac Fusion "engineered not to leak" I got a package AAA/AA in my cart

You know they say as we grow older our ears and nose keep growing.. My wife says she wishes something else would keep growing (-;

Poppy

Flashaholic
bykfixer has been a promoter of Rayovac batteries for a few years. As a result, I bought Rayovacs, without any concerns. Only recently have I discovered that Energizer bought out Rayovac.

I found that alkalines last longer in my remotes, and so more often than not, I use them instead of Duraloops.

I present here for your viewing appreciation AAs, and AAAs.

1640539554272.png

Also in the photo is one of those Ozark Trail, single D cell flashlights.

Alkaline cells do well in low drain situations, such as remotes. When the demand on them is less than one amp, three D cells will do as well as 3 - 18650 3300 mah Li-ion cells. That is one reason why I like 3D LED maglites. I gave one to my dad. No concern about Li-ion recharging etc.

While I am not crazy about lanterns, they do serve a purpose, and for them I like 3D lanterns at 300 lumens or less.
Here is a review I did of one.

Alkalines voltage drops rather quickly, but will run out gradually dropping, for a relatively long time. Whereas NiMH or Li-ion maintain a higher voltage for a longer time, but then their voltage drops off suddenly, and rapidly, such that one may have little notice that his light is going to shut OFF. For a novice, alkalines may be better so they aren't left stranded with no light what-so-ever, as what happened to my daughter on a camping trip, making her way back from the loo.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, for remotes alkaline is way to go, and it's my plan for that type of use. I also have a small hand held kitchen mixer that uses AAA.. Tho, for all my (small) flashlights, no matter how valuable, I will only use Eneloops or Lithium disposable batts

Last edited:

cbxer55

Enlightened
It's these young whipper snappers who think 60 is old

Failing to realize that one day it will be them that is old. Age catches up to us all, if you're lucky enough to make it to old age. Myself, I work out almost every day. Eat right, drink a lot of water. I'm told that I don't look a day over 45. I wear sleeveless sport shirts all year long, even in the winter. The 53 year old women I gave the Fenix to still has a head of long jet black hair that is her natural color. She's Irish and she's hot. She honestly looks way better than a lot of women half her age. Her husband of 20 years recently passed away, and I'm slowly trying to get her interested in me, myself and I. Hence when she asked what kind of flashlight I would recommend for a women for use as a self defense item, I gave her the Fenix PD36PE and taught her how to use it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
You can also buy yoga pants in a size 25, doesn't mean its a good idea…
LOL... it doesn't mean that alkalines is a bad idea.
It really depends upon the user, and intended purpose.

I'm glad to see that your wife loves her Malkoff. Considering that she uses it each day, and is particular about its placement after each use, she is obviously an experienced user. I am sure that she tops off her battery as needed, unless you maintain it for her.

For a novice, who will never consider topping off a rechargeable. An alkaline set up may be more practical.

For what it's worth, most of my lights are 18650s.

CHNeal

Enlightened
LOL... it doesn't mean that alkalines is a bad idea.
It really depends upon the user, and intended purpose.

For a novice, who will never consider topping off a rechargeable. An alkaline set up may be more practical.
I absolutely agree with you @Poppy. However I will insert that the problem with the ray-o-vacs and the like is that they can be the cause of a great deal of damage when left in the drawer. Its not a stereotype but a known issue.
Now we have the cr123 primary and even the aa/aaa lithiums that in my opinion make the alkaline completely obsolete in the flashlight world. For those that want a dependable light that will fire up when needed after a couple years in the drawer I see no downside. Now with my Mrs. I moved her to that wildcat to get her away from a 2-cr123 Surefire as she can burn through a dozen or more in a months time in the winter. So her usage really needs the 2-18650 of the MD4 and she has me to top them off regularly to keep her going.
But again everyone has a different usage pattern so different needs but there are no alkalines in my home.

Stay Safe

Poppy

Flashaholic
I absolutely agree with you @Poppy. However I will insert that the problem with the ray-o-vacs and the like is that they can be the cause of a great deal of damage when left in the drawer. Its not a stereotype but a known issue.
Now we have the cr123 primary and even the aa/aaa lithiums that in my opinion make the alkaline completely obsolete in the flashlight world. For those that want a dependable light that will fire up when needed after a couple years in the drawer I see no downside. Now with my Mrs. I moved her to that wildcat to get her away from a 2-cr123 Surefire as she can burn through a dozen or more in a months time in the winter. So her usage really needs the 2-18650 of the MD4 and she has me to top them off regularly to keep her going.
But again everyone has a different usage pattern so different needs but there are no alkalines in my home.

Stay Safe
I'll generally agree with you, but alkalines will not be obsolete until the lithium primaries come down in cost. Just as you decided to move your wife away from CR123 primaries due to cost, many people will continue to use alkalines.

AA alkalines are about 33 cents apiece. Energizer L91s lithium primaries are about $2.50 each. The L91s only have about 30% more power. While it is possible to get CR123s for about a dollar apiece, online, I just saw them for $4.50 each at the Home Depot check out.

CHNeal

Enlightened
I'll generally agree with you, but alkalines will not be obsolete until the lithium primaries come down in cost. Just as you decided to move your wife away from CR123 primaries due to cost, many people will continue to use alkalines.

AA alkalines are about 33 cents apiece. Energizer L91s lithium primaries are about $2.50 each. The L91s only have about 30% more power. While it is possible to get CR123s for about a dollar apiece, online, I just saw them for $4.50 each at the Home Depot check out.
I apologize, I thought we were talking about quality and reliability not cost. You are right you can buy cheap batteries for far less money then quality batteries, I cannot dispute that.
The Op was talking about tossing a light into a drawer for 2 years and then it needing to work. We are talking about a seldom used tool so I see the cost for batteries as Irrelevant, you factor it into startup costs. A dozen Surefire cr123 cost 20 bucks and will hold for 10 years seems like a no brainer to me but we all have different priorties.
Oh and I moved my wife away from cr123 for convenience not cost. If I didnt remember to order her more she would take from the household emergency stock ( I keep 200 on the shelf) and screw up my inventory.

Poppy

Flashaholic
IIRC the OP is considering a 2C or 2D coast light at the Home Depot.

We've shown that Quality Alkalines (from Eveready the parent company of Rayovac) have a ten tear shelf life, and have anti-leakage properties with a warranty.

He'll give away his old 2 cell maglite, if he can find it. Cost is certainly a consideration.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you favor C or D batteries then: get a pack of energizer AA lithiums and put them in AA to C adapters and put those in a Maglite ML25 LT and give it to her with the two extra batteries that came in the pack.
The only risk you will run is that she will have a better flashlight than you.
This^

a 2C ML25 running AA ultimate lithiums in adapter sleeves is would be real nice.