Looking for EDC flashlight.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for one of the new Seoul Semiconductor LED equipped Peak Baltic lights. Tell them to give you the low power option and it should run in regulation for 4-5 hours on an alkaline. Longer runtimes in regulation with NiMH AAA cells. Wear it on a neck lanyard so you'll always be ready when the lights go out (they tend to do that in the shower)

Yes, they cost $50 but none of my Peaks failed during my tour in Iraq so I stick with them.

five-0

Newly Enlightened
I believe that the Fenix E0 should have no trouble living in the desert environment, but I am unfamiliar with the wear and tear the desert may cause on lights.

With flashlights it tends to be that you get what you pay for, but as you go up in price you get less value... I believe that it is generally agreed that Peak and Arc are on par, and Fenix appears to have made a "better" design, utilizing a spring in the body to prevent the circuit board from being crushed due to over tightening (a rare Arc problem)... and with better regulation.

On the other hand, there are those who believe Fenix quality is suspect, as the lights are manufactured in China as opposed to the USA. But Fenix has also shown that they are not your average Chinese manufacturer, opting to improve the products over time, listening to the consumers, and generally offering a great product with excellent value...[/QUOTE]

I found a review on the Peak Matterhorn 1-LED:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/peakled_matterhorn_ultsnow.htm

It looks as though the light quickly diminishes to 50% brightness after about 3 hours. However it will last around 10+ hours around 30-40% brightness.

Now as for the Fenix E0:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e0.htm

The light last at about 100% brightness for around 9 hours. 50% after 12.5 hours. And gives a good 14+ battery life.

For durability, both lights (along with the Arc AAA) are made with machined aluminum with type III hard anodize finish. So they all seem about equally durable according to reviews.

As for the brightness. Not too sure about the Peak Matterhorn, but here is a comparison between the Fenix E0 and the Arc AAA-P:

http://www.wubin.net/flashlight/fenixe0arcbeam.jpg

Looks about the same to me. Fenix E0 looks like the better buy according to reviews. Of course you guys are the pros so i'm leaving the final word up to you.

Last edited:

ESD

Newly Enlightened
five-0 said:
Can it survive the desert conditions of Iraq where I will be soon?

I gave a young friend a Peak Mckinley and a box of 123s some time ago. He took it to Iraq, and brought it back. It still works fine. So does he. :) I hope the same for you.

22hornet

Enlightened
Peak Matterhorn 1 led HP
ARC AAA

These two should be the most reliable, but you may also consider:

Fenix E0
Fenix E1
Maglite Solitaire with led drop-in

Kind regards,
Joris

adnj

Enlightened
If we're taliking battlefield conditions, then the Arc AAA or the Inova X1. I have an X1 that came back from Iraq with my son. It's HAIII and costs $20 at Target.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, if I could only carry one light, I'd have to go with a 1xAA light over a 1xAAA light. If I were forced to make it a 1xAAA light on a relative budget, it would either be the Fenix L0D or the Liteflux LF2... relatively dim when that's all you need, VERY bright when that's what you want. But the important thing is, the tint doesn't shift radically to blue or green or other possibly icky colors. The ARCs and the Fenix E0 are both quite blue. The Fenix E1 is nice and white, but the runtime is short compared to the ARC and E0... which is why I'd pony up the extra $$$ for the L0D or the LF2.

Also, just to throw out there, I know some have reported issues, but the Jetbeam C-LE really isn't any larger than the CMG Infinity Ultra or the Countycomm UltraG. Nice runtime on low, and a couple other brightness levels on tap as well and I've seen them go as cheap as $20.

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
Not much to go wrong on an E0 I have one in my survival kit, fairly sure it will take a licking.

scottv

Newly Enlightened
I carry an E0.

But I have to say that I really don't like the color.
Very blue spot surrounded by yellow - ick.
But I trust it to light and run for quite a long while.

I also have some cheap cheap $2 pinchlights - better color, and brighter (4.68 a 10 pack at Kai's) "water resistant"
Still bluish but at least consistent across the beam.
I don't quite understand why aunoc and fenix use the ugly blue/yellow LED in their AAA lights when better ones are available.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wouldnt even look at the arc. it is too expensive for what it does.

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
from what I've seen the ARC or Peak would be the best choice, I just dont feel that a fenix would take abuse as well, with an arc you could fill it with salt water and rinse it out throw in a new battery and it'd be fine since the whole circuit is potted in epoxy, the only reason I haven't got one is cause I cant justify buying it when I have and HDS U60XRGT, CR2 ion, and Petzl E+Lite.

If you were to increase your price limit 5 fold or so the CR2 ion with Cree XRE is a great choice but it seems like that might be a little bit too much for you. Maybe if you stay on CPF for a few months you'll want to start spending in that price range :)

I saw that a primary use would be power outages in the Sandbox, you may want to look into the Petzl E+Lite $30 it has 3 white LEDs one red one and 5 modes Hi/Lo white, Flash White, Red and Flash red. it is very small and its a headlite

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
jason9987 said:
...with an arc you could fill it with salt water and rinse it out throw in a new battery...
By that test, Surefires, HDS lights, and any light with a non-potted internal electronics AND a non-potted internal switch would also fail. The Fenix AAA twisties will keep water out as well as the Arc AAA and isn't that the point?..

CandleLite

Newly Enlightened
I would consider another Fenix that I have not seen mentioned in this thread. The LOP-SE is an older generation of Fenix that is available at a reduced price at Fenix-Store. I believe it will satisfy your demands for size, runtime and toughness as well as having the luxury of 3 levels. I have one as an EDC and find it very versatile. The low level has runtime and the high has amazing brightness for its' size. You will use and appreciate having multi levels

I sold my EO because it did not have the brightness when needed and was quite ringy. I have been spoiled by smooth and even beams. Since it is technically possible, I believe that EVERY modern flashlight should have a smooth beamshot.

The single weakness that I found is the black anodizing which will show wear with use. Actually I am quite surprised how well it has stood up to abuse on my keychain for the last 6 months but the high points do get scratched. Some people don't really mind this.

Also, spend the extra few dollars if necessary for whichever light you finally chose because you will eventually regret not getting the one you really want. You will then end up spending more for another light. This is an unmutable law of flashaholicism. :grin2:

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
Can't give any recommendations that have not already been stated. But, I would consider bringing a few lights. I can't go with just one at home, never mind on the battlefield. I've heard the standard issue lights are horrible.

Mainly wanted to wish you well and a safe return.

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
Some issue lights are Surefires, actually. I'm not sure who gets them and who doesn't, but some do. The Underwater Kinetics 2AAA eLED might work for you. http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2447

The Peak Baltic with a Seoul might also be good, but if the regulation is similar to that of the Matterhorn, I might rethink that. Fenix does have excellent regulation, and for cheap.

five-0

Newly Enlightened
After looking through all the choices I think I have made a decision.

I belive I will be going with the Fenix E0 due to it's long lasting ability, and the fact it runs near 100% brightness for many hours. Not to mention it should be durible enough, but I guess i'll find out. Plus the price is unbeatable.

I just want this light as an EDC. As in lets say i'm doing something and the lights go out. I just need this light to get me to a better, larger light, or just to last me if it is my only option. It has to be tough since I will always be carrying it.

So I guess my only question is, will the Fenix E0 be bright enough to navigate between rooms and halls in total darkness indoors? Maybe find something dropped under a table or bunk? Read a map, or other document in the dark. Light the immidiate area I am looking at in front of me, like cleaning a weapon. These are the only things I can think of coming up right now. From what I read it seems it will be able to.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
E0 is an excellent choice. For me, the E1 was even better because it had about 3x the output (still flat for 2.5 hrs on a nimh, 5.5 on an E2 lithium) and had a glass (an AR hardened glass) protecting the LED so I had no worries.

five-0

Newly Enlightened
Definately ordering it soon as possible. Now comes the wait...

Thanks for all the info and kind words. I'll try to review the light after a few months.

Latest posts