Looking for GID stars for my daughter's room

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for glow stars that I can hang from the ceiling in my daughter's room. Some sort of die-cut star/planet motif that can be made into a mobile, hanging from fishing line.

The ones I've already purchased have almost NO glow power. Anybody know of a quality product? I checked Glow Inc for solutions but they just sell raw materials for making your own.

I suppose one route (if I can't find a decent source of completed stars) is to modify the existing no-glow items with a coating of good powder.

Thanks

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
the modify preexisting items sounds like a good idea.
If you have some stars already purchased, why not buy some glow paint from glow inc, and paint them? sounds like a very easy way of fixing things :)

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Glow Inc's powder. I wonder if I can coat the stars with glue and sprinkle on? Or mix the powder into Elmer's glue?

greenLED

Flashaholic
I suppose one route (if I can't find a decent source of completed stars) is to modify the existing no-glow items with a coating of good powder.

That's the best option, IMO - or at least, that's what I did. Bought a set of plastic stars at the craft store, and added a couple of coats of Glowinc GID paint. Stick to the ceiling and enjoy!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Just a question for you glow pro's, what is the brightest and longest glowing formula for this purpose, an impregnated plastic, or paint? I would think the plastic would be brighter and last longer because there is more material there which goes all the way through the media vs. just a surface coating. I'm very likely wrong though which is why I'm asking. I was thinking about something like this for my nephews room because he loves lights and things that glow.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, look who his uncle is! :nana: Kids are really great like that; while other adults will simply dismiss this hobby and think you're nuts, kids can appreciate the awesomeness of lights and things that glow.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Just a question for you glow pro's, what is the brightest and longest glowing formula for this purpose, an impregnated plastic, or paint? I would think the plastic would be brighter and last longer because there is more material there which goes all the way through the media vs. just a surface coating. I'm very likely wrong though which is why I'm asking. I was thinking about something like this for my nephews room because he loves lights and things that glow.

Hey, Pat. Thicker materials don't necessarily glow more ("charging" light can't penetrate effectively if the material is really thick). Caveat is that pretty much all GID paraphernalia uses the old Zn-based GID material. Doesn't matter which way you use it, the newer formulation beats it, hands down, feet tied, and blindfolded. So, it's not so much a matter of thickness, as it is a matter of the materials used. :grin2:

I've actually done star ceilings two ways. The first time I painted store-bought GID stars with Glowinc.com's paint. This was back in the day when they didn't have their water-based formula, so I used the solvent-based kind. This gave pretty good results, and has the advantage that you can remove the stars from the ceiling.

For the latest "star field" I used their water-based formula. You fill up a disposable syringe with the water based GID paint, and place "dots" of paint directly on the ceiling by squeezing the syrige slowly. This works great, but it's a more permanent project (apartment-renters, be warned!).

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of GITD, I opted for LED-projected stars for my daughter's room. I think it's called a Twilight Turtle. It projects in blue, green or amber, shuts off after twenty minutes and seems to be good for nightly use for about a month on fresh Eneloops. My kid loves it.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Norm, are you recommending these from personal experience? I am looking for solutions that would please even us discriminating glow-worms. If these are reasonably bright, I'll be :thumbsup:. If they're dank and dark like the set I have now, I'll be :ohgeez: .
My Daughter had a set of the stars some years ago, from memory the glow quite brightly for about half an hour and then steadily fade, it depends on how long they have been charged by the room lights.
If I was buying something now I liked gswitter idea, I looked them up on ebay, much cheaper than in the shops here in Australia.
Instead of GITD, I opted for LED-projected stars for my daughter's room. I think it's called a Twilight Turtle. It projects in blue, green or amber, shuts off after twenty minutes and seems to be good for nightly use for about a month on fresh Eneloops. My kid loves it.
Cheers Norm

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a look at Twilight Turtle and Twilight Ladybug over at Amazon. The concept is so intriguing and the ratings were so high, I bought one! Thanks gswitter! Think I just found my 4 year old daughter's first Xmas gift of 2009!

Norm

Retired Administrator
I wanted to buy one too, but my kids are 29 and 31 even the grandkids are too old :(
Good choice.
Norm

abbeytoo

Newly Enlightened
Like these?? I have a whole bunch of these! I made a few hanging windchime/mobile things with some of them.
These are all made with Glow Inc's V-10 so they are super bright and glow all night!

DSC01780-th.jpg
star-th.jpg
that is a quarter on the star for size

stars-th.jpg
this is *some* of what I have. Stars are 2 sizes.

there are also blue ones. (I'm getting cranky fiddling with these pictures....go here http://public.fotki.com/tutti/sell-this-poop/gitd/ and weed thru them and you'll see stars)

mobile3-th.jpg
miserable pic in my garage of some mobiles.

PM me if you want to buy some stars!

ab

Last edited:

abbeytoo

Newly Enlightened
never mind. tried to delete this and don't know how :oops:

Last edited: