LRI Photon Freedom

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I did the swap, I sanded the whole emitter with a 300 grit pad to make the output more floody. Since I don't have the covert edition, I wanted a more evenhanded "area" output.

Ok, thanks! Now I get it. I have a covert and it is pretty floody compared to stock for sure. It's nice!

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Yujis in today and popped one in my Photon Freedom. Awesome. Beam is so smooth that I'm not going to bother sanding it and risk losing output. This light is awesome and I love it even more with this new led. Happy

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Yujis in today and popped one in my Photon Freedom. Awesome. Beam is so smooth that I'm not going to bother sanding it and risk losing output. This light is awesome and I love it even more with this new led. Happy

Glad you like it, gurdygurds! Yeah, the beam is a thing of beauty.

For slightly better output and cheaper cells, you can put one into a Gerber Ultra Infinity if you don't mind a little bit of soldering (a very little bit, and believe me I am really bad at it). The head is not potted, so no heat required, no epoxy to deal with. The first trick is to open the body, but a pair of strap wrenches handles that very easily and without any marring.

The upshot is a tough, robust AA (or AAA) light running a beautiful Yuji LED. Not as small as an E01, and probably not quite as tough (the E01 gets some of it resilience simply from the fact that it does not weigh much). But until I get good enough at modding that I can open an E01 and replace the emitter (i.e. never) this is as close as I'll get to a Yuji E01.

Come to think of it, I could make my Yuji/Gerber tougher by potting the head just with some hot-melt glue....

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deleted QUOTE=lampeDépêche;5185411]Glad you like it, gurdygurds! Yeah, the beam is a thing of beauty.

For slightly better output and cheaper cells, you can put one into a Gerber Ultra Infinity if you don't mind a little bit of soldering (a very little bit, and believe me I am really bad at it). The head is not potted, so no heat required, no epoxy to deal with. The first trick is to open the body, but a pair of strap wrenches handles that very easily and without any marring.

The upshot is a tough, robust AA (or AAA) light running a beautiful Yuji LED. Not as small as an E01, and probably not quite as tough (the E01 gets some of it resilience simply from the fact that it does not weigh much). But until I get good enough at modding that I can open an E01 and replace the emitter (i.e. never) this is as close as I'll get to a Yuji E01.

Come to think of it, I could make my Yuji/Gerber tougher by potting the head just with some hot-melt glue....[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yuji 3200k, stock, Yuji 5600k.

I did the 5600k myself just now! First led mod ever![emoji28]
69312b044055ac010fe1d6f74c4a10d9.jpg