• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Luce de Notte -- the orginal sales thread

egrep

Enlightened
This is my custom, one of a kind Luce de Notté but mine has disks and not dimples. Did someone get a clone of mine or what's up with the dimples? :)

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest custom Luce:

RJones_Final-B.jpg

RJones_Final-C.jpg

RJones_Final-3.jpg

Brass body and titanium tail cap with recessed polycarbonate plug. Client installed 18mm orange sphere in a McR27 reflector that was machined to accept the sphere.
I believe that is my Beauty in this Photo..Its been on the nightstand from the day i received it...Thanks for the beautiful LUCE and the awesome work....Robert.

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened
Re: Now Taking Payments: Luce de Notte (unless you have an H3 sphere already)

First Batch...
FirstBatch.jpg

L to R: XFlash, donn, Hodsta, regentag, Kiessling, Finbar and ouchmyfinger.

Second Batch of Luci...
FirstRowSecondBatch.jpg

Front Row L to R: Translucent Luce (just to see what it looked like--looking for an owner:devil:); AL for gjg, AL for Olaf_S, Brass for paulr, and Ti for jch79

SecondRowSecondBatch.jpg

L to R: Ti for Nebula, Ti for karlthev, Ti for JohnnyDeep, and Ti and Al for be.irenic (2)
OMG... this is just mind-blowing stuff... :faint:

Traveller - Genève * Melbourne * Miami * Wien

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like one of these if they can still be ordered, PM sent!
Glad to make one for you--how does this look? I'm calling it the Exclamation Luce de Notte. :devil:
Exclamation_Luce_de_Notte.png

Rest assured the tailcap won't be that shiny--I need to refine my renderings. :)

Last edited:

Midnight Run

Enlightened

Please make me one too while you're at it Fred!
That looks awesome!

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened

Oh, what the heck, Fred, time for a new batch - I'm in too :thumbsup:

egrep

Enlightened

If green spheres are available I'm in as well. Please put me on the list fred. I'll PM B@RT to check on the sphere.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

I will take one as well.

Fred, we all get our own sphere, correct?

For years I have wanted to have one of these, however, the deal with buying the sphere from out of the country had kept me from doing it--seems like a hassle, and there are plenty of hassles these days.

It seems he only has orange spheres. I would not want orange for this. Red, yes, green or blue would be perfect.

--HOLD: Looking at other sites...

What I would love is to buy or have made an opaque sphere, and have you add a very low output LED inside like the PAL lights just glow. This would glow only, no other features or functions. I would even consider a D cell since I would like it in a larger size for use on a table or nightstand.

Just a glowing LED, no switch, no levels, nothing but steady glow. I keep the PAL lights everywhere. I guess this would be a custom version PAL with no levels. A 9 volt battery would be OK, too. Also, color could be changed using gel inside, so just an LED that could glow for a long period.

I sent you an E-mail about this awhile ago, and got busy, but do you think this is doable? This would be so much better than the Trit., at least for me.

If you have another idea that would be great. It seems your original design is perfect, I just want to avoid the Trit, and make it LED. And, since this is a stationary unit it could be built without all the engineering of a flashlight that goes all over the place with you.

Again, this is just my idea of a glowing object, others may want to carry their "Luce Sphere."

I do like the simplicity of the Trit. sphere, just not the ordering of something that will end up in the Customs Service break room at LAX as a curio.

I have faith the resident dealer would be fine, it is others along the way, and these days there are many who could intercept this for many reasons.

Maybe someone will have an idea to add to this.

Thanks,

NR

Midnight Run

Enlightened

Sorry if this has been covered and it probably has but what diameter are we talking about for the sphere?

Thanks. ;)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
icon1.png
Re: Luce de Notte -- the orginal sales thread
ADD:

See, I think a case of machined metal with a sphere on top would be cool, and you could control the amount of light with ND gels from inside.

After thinking about this a little, I don't see why an engineered for EDC could not be done. Today's lights are well done, and this is the opposite from brighter and all that.

A nice machined and finished piece of metal, like a paper towel roll core about 3 or 4 inches tall with a sphere on top is what I was thinking.

another idea, could you make this to just drop a PAL light in? Or are we cheating ourselves with, yes, that is not what is done around here. How about a custom magazine (someone here makes some cool battery holders, I forget)? with 6 CR123's (Vampire out old cells)to run an LED on top for the sphere-dome, then one LED on the bottom to be pushed out thru a diffused lens?

I love the "LED Sphere" concept a lot.

Hope you can build me something like this.

Two things I really love are the PAL Lights, and the Niteize Flashing Tail cap. The tail cap, very inexpensive, and a denied addition by other custom makers (Not you, Fred. Never asked you) as too complex to do.

I would love a red LED locator inside the lights reflector. HDS has that cool locator blink - love it. There may be other lights with these features, I just am not aware of them. I wager due to the tactical use issues most do not offer this. I love Fred's work as it is art, not something to jump out of a UH 1 with.

And, I will cut here so the thread stays together - just a spin on an original classic design by Fred.

Thanks Fred!​

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry if this has been covered and it probably has but what diameter are we talking about for the sphere?

Thanks. ;)

Tashi,

The original poster, who wanted this design, is having a large Titanium Luce built which will require either a 15mm or 18mm sphere. The larger the sphere, the more light output. He's using the 18mm sphere.

If you do want one of these made, please confirm via e-mail.

And as an aside--delivery on this would be in the range of two to three months down the road, due to my backlog.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will take one as well.

Fred, we all get our own sphere, correct?

For years I have wanted to have one of these, however, the deal with buying the sphere from out of the country had kept me from doing it--seems like a hassle, and there are plenty of hassles these days.

. . .

What I would love is to buy or have made an opaque sphere, and have you add a very low output LED inside like the PAL lights just glow. This would glow only, no other features or functions. I would even consider a D cell since I would like it in a larger size for use on a table or nightstand.

. . .

I sent you an E-mail about this awhile ago, and got busy, but do you think this is doable? This would be so much better than the Trit., at least for me.

. . .

NR

Ned,

I did respond to your inquiry about a low-level light--basically I don't have either the knowledge/ability to create a driver for such a light, nor do I know of a source for such a driver.

And, to be honest, the Luce is what it is--the Trit sphere has a half-life of 12 years--hard to beat that with an LED and a driver.

If you want to use the innards of a PAL light, that's certainly an option, but I don't do that kind of work. Post in the custom & modified lights thread and ask for someone to make one and I'm sure you will find someone willing to do that.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Fred. Really, this is just an idea that came from your original concept, and ideas are why we look on the forms.

I will say that the LED design could offer some fun variables the Trit does not. I love the Trit, however, I just wish someone here in the USA would stock these things.

I could actually do the LED part if I wanted to, maybe you can machine me the tube. Nevertheless, I will contact you if I decide to make one up.

Also, I know you did reply to this awhile back, just said that in the event you forgot...I Can't even remember when that was? I get busy, and forget things in a second.

I would like others thoughts on an LED version of this, perhaps in a new thread.

Again, thanks. Hope all is well,

Best,

NR

PS...If I get a sphere, I would love you to make me a "Luce!"

Last edited: