Lumapower D-mini VX Ultra (SST-50) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
1. How would you compare the Lumapower D-mini VX Ultra vs Fenix TK10? That Fenix light is about 220 lumens output. Does it mean that Lumapower D-mini VX Ultra is 2x brighter and has 2x throw? (approximately, let's not be so detailed at the moment)
2. How would you compare it vs EagleTac M2XC4 - is it similar peformance (throw, spill and lumens?) "Similar" means similar here - I know, that M2XC4 has more lumens, but what I meant are those two light can compete in some way? Let's make a wide margin here.
3. And finally comparison with Fenix TK40 - how would it look like?
As Matt said, it is really hard to offer meaningful comparisons between such widely varying classes of lights. But since I imagine a few other folks may also have similar questions between how all the classes compare, here are a few general comments.

1. The Ultra has more output than any standard 2xCR123A/1x18650 light running on a single-die Cree (i.e. XR-E, XP-E, XG-E), including the Fenix TK10. Based on my ceiling bounce numbers, I would say the Ultra is typically ~50% brighter overall than a heavily-driven single-die Cree light. However, throw on the Ultra is typically lower than the single-die Cree class (although this depends on the reflector).

The large die surface of the SST-50 makes it hard to focus to a point, so you will find that most of the 2xCR123A/1x18650 single-die Cree lights will still out-throw it (and those with deeper reflector will significantly out-throw it). The Ultra is still quite reasonable in its throw/output relative ratio, it is just less throwy than what we have come to expect on 2xCR123A/1x18650 single-die lights.

2 & 3. The high-output/multi-emitter lights like the M2XC4 and TK40 have greater overall output than the Ultra. How much more varies on the multi-emitter setup (with some older examples only marginally brighter), but I would say most are a good ~30-60% brighter. Most of them also have a wider spillbeam due to the larger heads (although this varies), and most of them will have much greater throw (again, due to the larger reflector). Put it this way - you will certainly not find a high-output light with less max output or lower throw than the Ultra. One thing you can be sure of is much better runtime on the multi-emitter class, due to larger number of batteries typically used.

If you want to see the high-output/multi-emitter class compares, please check out my round-up review of that group.

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for you answer - that explains a lot. Much appreciated:thanks:!

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review, selfbuilt.

Thank you to Lumapower and MattK for hatching this beauty. By the way, no need to badge the RCR123a tube as an afterthought. On the contrary, this capability is why I bought this light! I find 18650 lights slightly cumbersome for EDC.

That said, I'd like to echo the sentiment that if you use the RCR123a tube, only IMR or other high discharge capability cells are safe for every-day use.

I tested current draw at the tail with an AW IMR 550mAH RCR123a vs. a TrustFire 880mAH RCR123a. My apologies, I did not record the exact numbers, but both batteries yielded roughly the same draw. It was around 2.1 amps.

According to this thread, common RCR123a batteries appear to have a true capacity around or under 600mAH. My Trustfires are more like 500mAH. With the current draw on high, that's greater than a 4C discharge rate. For "vanilla" Li-ion, this is not wise.

AW IMR cells, on the other hand, are rated to 8C continuous discharge. No problem.

Metatron

Banned
this is one fine light, mine arrived yesterday and on an IMR i am measuring 2.1 amp at the tail, so i am really chuffed, super bright and usable! its a stayer.

TallNHairyDave

Newly Enlightened
Thank you selfbuilt for the review and all for the excellent advice in this thread regarding what cells to use.

I just got one of these beauties from a mate on another forum. Looks like I'll be getting myself some IMR 16340s to run this on in "Pocket Rocket" mode, or running it as an 1 x 18650 light instead.

Without doing a search here and finding this thread, I wouldn't have known that and would have been merrily running it on RCR123s on HIGH, with possible :poof: consequences!!! :eek::eek:

For now though (as I don't have a spare 18650) I've used the UI to lock the torch on "MEDIUM" mode as a reminder not to run it on high (and will be printing a tape label for the 123 size body as a reminder!)

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I'm gona get this light when BJ is back on business. I like the single cell configuration so i'm not gona use the extender. Since I have protected Ultrafire RCR's on hand i'm gona use this to power this light. I'm gona use high all the time for best output but I will limit it to 3 minutes or less. Do you think I will be safe on this time frame?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm gona get this light when BJ is back on business. I like the single cell configuration so i'm not gona use the extender. Since I have protected Ultrafire RCR's on hand i'm gona use this to power this light. I'm gona use high all the time for best output but I will limit it to 3 minutes or less. Do you think I will be safe on this time frame?
I am not a battery expert, but I believe the real risk to running regular RCRs at these drive currents is that it may shortern your battery's usable lifespan. I don't expect anything will happen during actual usage.

In fact, the greatest risk you will experience with any Li-ion is when you plug back into the charger. I just think it's a good idea to treat all rechargeable batteries with respect and not regularly exceed their posted charge/discharge rates. The experts in batteries subforum here should be able to provide more guidance.

MaximusOrilius

Newly Enlightened
Running with 18650 on high for 60 min, does the light heat up tremendously or does it just get warm.

I have the m21 and it only gets warm.

My Ultra has turned into my favorite "goto" light. I only run AW protected 18650's and always have a spare cause this light can get hungry. Indoors, my light gets hot if left on high too long. It had better get hot cause its putting out as much light as my 3D ROP running at 6.4V (nom. no load, two LiFePO4 F cells).

I appreciate this light. Like most of my other lights it requires special attention. So does a Ferrari.

Last edited:

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate this light. Like most of my other lights it requires special attention. So does a Ferrari.

Well said!

Just wanted to add that I love the beam profile. For me, it's the perfect flood/throw compromise in an EDC. Most days I use it to fish around rackmount computers, and it works well. The other day, the wife and I found ourselves on an impulse geocaching trip through the woods at night. It worked equally well :thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
It looks a lot better than the older version with the MC-E in it. It's remarkable how having one large die instead of four small dies can make such a difference in the focal requirements.

Actually, that makes me wonder if the MC-E wouldn't be a lot easier to focus if the plastic dome on it were ground flat to eliminate its influence on the dispersion pattern?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just wanted to add that I love the beam profile. For me, it's the perfect flood/throw compromise in an EDC.
I have to agree with this - I've been finding myself using it more and more around the house, mainly on Lo and Med (and occasionally Hi ;)). A very nice beam dispersal pattern.

The Coach

Enlightened
You guys are killing me. I've been waiting over a month for mine, with no end in sight. I'm fighting the urge to just cancel the order. :(

This light gets my vote for best tail cap. It has room for my finger or thumb AND it tail stands. I like the switch too.

Are Flashaholics allowed to cancel flashlight orders? :ohgeez:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Just got my D-Mini VX Ultra from Battery Junction. Great service once again. Came in a decent box with magnetic closure that mimics the JetBeam boxes.

Per selfbuilt's review, this light was intended for max output utilizing 18650's. So, off went the small body tube and on went the D65 extension tube and the little extra spring that was included in the box. I popped in a freshly charged AW 18650 and clicked the light on and thought, is that all? :confused: Then I realized, "hey, dummy, it's a 3-mode light." 2 quick half/soft clicks later and BAM!!! :eek: This little light is wicked-bright! :thumbsup: That max beam just put a huge smile on my face.

I did a side-by-side comparison of my Olight M21 Warrior and the D-Mini VX Ultra, as shown in selfbuilt's review, and the pictures do not do this light justice. Although both lights are running the SST-50, the D-Mini VX Ultra is noticeably brighter at max output than the M21. Since it's got a shallow reflector, it doesn't throw as well as the M21, but for my purposes, it suits my needs perfectly. It's got a great hotspot with plenty of spill/flood.

IMHO, I think the D-Mini feels a lot better in the hand than the M21. It's got a simple exterior design with great knurling; and with the tailcap and head that slightly flare out, you'll never have to worry about losing grip on it. This thing even tailstands.

I tried to figure out the UI using the provided instruction manual, but that was utterly pointless. :thumbsdow Thank God for selfbuilt. I went back to his review and found a solid description of the UI and how to lock the light as a single-stage light to suit my particular needs.

Without a doubt, this is by far the brightest single-18650 light in my collection, and makes me wonder why I bought the M21 in the first place. Absolutely no regrets buying the D-Mini VX Ultra...just wondering why I didn't buy it sooner. :thumbsup:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Although someone should probably tell the factory to go easy on the thread lube. :rolleyes:

Selfbuilt, someone at the LP factory must've listened to you. There was absolutely NO lube on any of the threads or O-rings on my D-mini VX Ultra. :thinking:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Finally got mine today and popped in a brand new, fully charged AW IMR and clicked it on and wasn't impressed by the light. It just didn't seem that bright. Then, later that night, I grabbed it when I took out the garbage and shined it on the house on the way back and WOW! It lit up half the house. Nice light, I like it.

Hey Coach,

I don't know how the D-mini VX Ultra is with the IMR, but I'm pretty sure you'll be amazed with it once you pop the D65 extension tube on it. Just remember to put the extra spring in the hole at the top of the D65 extension tube so it can reach the + term of the 18650. I'm using an AW 18650 2600 flat-top battery and it works perfectly as long as you put the included spring.

Just FYI...the D-mini VX Ultra with the extension tube on beat the snot out of my Olight M21 Warrior in a very non-technical side-by-side wall comparison.

Last edited:

The Coach

Enlightened
Haven't tried the 18650 yet (yeah, I'm that lazy), but I prefer the small factor of the 123 version. One of these days. :devil: