Lumapower D-mini VX Ultra (SST-50) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

HIDblue

Enlightened
Haven't tried the 18650 yet (yeah, I'm that lazy), but I prefer the small factor of the 123 version. One of these days. :devil:

If you're looking for a "small factor" 123 light, check out Lumapower's latest offering:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=222823

Pocket EDC Lumapower IncenDio spitting out 370 lumens using one RCR123a or 16340. It looks like it's about the same size as a Fenix PD20, but has a forward clickie.

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
I don't know how the D-mini VX Ultra is with the IMR, but I'm pretty sure you'll be amazed with it once you pop the D65 extension tube on it.
Max light output is identical on IMR 16340 vs. a quality protected 18650.

Sounds like coach's initial disappointment was an issue of brightness perception in a brightly lit environment. When he tried it at night, it worked as expected.

Perception is a funny thing. Walking a long open trail the other night, my Fenix TK11 (XR-E R2 / SMO) felt like it was twice as bright as the D-mini VX Ultra with its OP reflector. Yet if you put them head to head in a ceiling bounce test, the VX Ultra is clearly twice as bright.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Max light output is identical on IMR 16340 vs. a quality protected 18650.

Perception is a funny thing. Walking a long open trail the other night, my Fenix TK11 (XR-E R2 / SMO) felt like it was twice as bright as the D-mini VX Ultra with its OP reflector. Yet if you put them head to head in a ceiling bounce test, the VX Ultra is clearly twice as bright.
That's right - there's no difference in output, only runtime, between 3.7V sources.

The perception issue is key - it really reflects how you use the light. I find I quite enjoy the D-mini VX Ultra for around the house use (mainly on Lo/Med) - due to its smooth, even beam. In its native RCR-size, it's small, pocketable, and easy to use (just make sure you re-charge the IMR cells frequently).

But for outdoor trail use, I definitely prefer something with more throw. Even an older Q5 or R2 light will seem "brighter" if has a more throwy beam.

It all depends on the nature of the environment you want illuminated. :)

HIDblue

Enlightened
Thanks for the clarification fellas. Selfbuilt, what's the difference between an RCR123a and a IMR 16340?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the clarification fellas. Selfbuilt, what's the difference between an RCR123a and a IMR 16340?

RCR123 is a unspecific rechargeable battery in CR123 size.
IMR16340 is a battery with a special high current chemistry in CR123 size.

lostinwv

Newly Enlightened
This thread inspired me to purchase the Ultra, and I must say it is now one of my favorite lights. I'm using it with an AW 18650.

I also purchased the turbo head, and after putting it on and taking the light outside at night, I had the biggest "WOW" experience I've had since becoming entrapped in this flashlight hobby. Prior to this point, my throwiest light has been the Eagle Tac T10LC2, and with the turbo head the Ultra smokes it (no surprise, given the size of the turbo head).

I'm curious though: would this light have even better throw if I put an R2 pill in it? (these can be ordered, and will fit.)

Would dropping an R2 engine in here be pointless? Would doing so lower the output or anything else one might want to know? Obviously, I don't have a clue whether output is dictated by the behavior of the pill, tailcap, or whatever.

Guidance?

Thanks

Dave

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Man, I was just trying to put through an order for that turbo head but with the shipping to Canada the total would be about $50 so I had to pull the plug. It'd be nice to have but I already have the Solarforce Skyline 1 as my main thrower.

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up a turbohead for my VX ultra as well... Hands down the best $35 I've spent on flashlight stuff so far! It makes for one goofy looking light, but it's actually quite comfortable to use, and even on medium, it simply decimates any other light I have throw-wise (I don't have any big throw monsters). I found myself wandering around outside looking for the furthest object I could reach... On high, it was simply comical (apparently I am easily amused...). It is already the brightest light in my collection, but the addition of the turbohead gave me a functionality I didn't have yet... :twothumbs

Golfer2000

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone get me the tail dimensions and head dimensions so I can see if it will fit my light holster? Thanks!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Lumapower D-mini VX Ultra (SST-50) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!
Written by vinhnguyen54 on 11-14-2010 11:26 PM GMT

Hello!

I have a question. Does anyone know how this light with the SST-50 do with a Turbo head? Thanks!

Edit: Where can we buy the R2 Pill?
Written by lostinwv on 11-15-2010 08:58 AM GMT

vinhnguyen54 said:
Hello!

I have a question. Does anyone know how this light with the SST-50 do with a Turbo head? Thanks!

Edit: Where can we buy the R2 Pill?
I think you'd be impressed with the Turbo Head on this light. I have a few great lights, and the biggest "WOW" moment I've had thus far is when I first put the TF head on this light. No problem lighting up entire front of a house at 400 feet (or more, I'd guess). Looks a little strange though - I can't recall which of our fellow cpf'rs said it, but it looks like "an elephant head on a dachsund body." I think you'd be impressed with the Turbo Head on this light. I have a few great lights, and the biggest "WOW" moment I've had thus far is when I first put the TF head on this light. No problem lighting up entire front of a house at 400 feet (or more, I'd guess). Looks a little strange though - I can't recall which of our fellow cpf'rs said it, but it looks like "an elephant head on a dachsund body."

Dave
Written by vinhnguyen54 on 11-15-2010 10:24 AM GMT

lostinwv said:
I think you'd be impressed with the Turbo Head on this light. I have a few great lights, and the biggest "WOW" moment I've had thus far is when I first put the TF head on this light. No problem lighting up entire front of a house at 400 feet (or more, I'd guess). Looks a little strange though - I can't recall which of our fellow cpf'rs said it, but it looks like "an elephant head on a dachsund body."

Dave
That is with the SST-50 pill right? not the R2 right? because I heard SST-50 doesn't throw very well. I got a VX ULtra SSt-50 + Turbo head coming in the mail. But was afarid the throw is much weaker than the R2 pill so I thought I asked. :) Thanks for the info! That is with the SST-50 pill right? not the R2 right? because I heard SST-50 doesn't throw very well. I got a VX ULtra SSt-50 + Turbo head coming in the mail. But was afarid the throw is much weaker than the R2 pill so I thought I asked. :) Thanks for the info!
Written by lostinwv on 11-15-2010 11:38 AM GMT

Yes, with the SST-50. It throws very well with the Turbo Force head. I considered getting the R2 direct from Lumapower just out of curiosity (can be had for around $30 and screws right in), but never did it.
Written by Testor on 02-07-2011 07:04 PM GMT

What tool does one use to swap the black tail buttom for the (included) green/glow one?

I see two roughly square notches on the screw-in module in the tailcap, but I'm not sure which tool would be best (and don't want to damage anything!)
Written by selfbuilt on 02-08-2011 07:27 AM GMT

Testor said:
What tool does one use to swap the black tail buttom for the (included) green/glow one?

I see two roughly square notches on the screw-in module in the tailcap, but I'm not sure which tool would be best (and don't want to damage anything!)
Snap-ring pliers are the specific tool used for unscrewing switch retaining rings. A very fine pair of needle-nose pliers may work (if you can find ones with a small enough tip but wide enough spread opening). Alternatively, a pair of fine-tipped tweezers may work (if you can find a pair that are sturdy enough at the tips not to bend under pressure). Snap-ring pliers are the specific tool used for unscrewing switch retaining rings. A very fine pair of needle-nose pliers may work (if you can find ones with a small enough tip but wide enough spread opening). Alternatively, a pair of fine-tipped tweezers may work (if you can find a pair that are sturdy enough at the tips not to bend under pressure).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The thread discussions for the last few months have been fully restored from the search engine cache data (thank you tandem!).

Please carry on! :)

RCantor

Enlightened
Any chance you could add the turbo force reflector on the ultra and repeat the throw #s and 100 yard beamshots?

Thanks!