Lumicycle have finally jumped onto the LED scene!

matt303

Newly Enlightened
850lumen from 3 LEDs, 283 lumen from each R2?

At least they've fixed the quoted run times, they were quoting run times for the high setting rather than boost which made them look better than the competition.

marcopolo

Newly Enlightened
""850lumen from 3 LEDs, 283 lumen from each R2?""

I noticed that aswell! the cree is rated at about 275 lumens at 25degC at 1A so they are right on the upper limit for the spec - so maybe they are a touch above 1A which shouldn't be a problem on 3up as long as the cooling is OK.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
""850lumen from 3 LEDs, 283 lumen from each R2?""

I noticed that aswell! the cree is rated at about 275 lumens at 25degC at 1A so they are right on the upper limit for the spec - so maybe they are a touch above 1A which shouldn't be a problem on 3up as long as the cooling is OK.

If you can find me some cooling that'll keep the junction temp at 25'C with the emitters running at 1A, :takeit:

marcopolo

Newly Enlightened
Here in Scotland our winter temps (when we need lights the most!!) are in the -5C to +5degC range. With an excellent slug to housing fit on an aluminium case I imagine you could have the back of the MCPCB at close to 10degC, say 15degC on the rear of the emitter and maybe not far off 25degC on the junction. Just guesses though.

Possibly they drive it at 1.2 or more amps. I would doubt it though. Probably just exercising the right to quote official theoretical maximum figures I suppose.

Last edited:

matt303

Newly Enlightened
£160 just for the light :wow: and a 3-6 week lead time?

That's not a bad price really, if you were to order the parts to make a 3 x R2 light from cutter including one of their housings, handlebar mount, maxFlex, optics and connector it comes to about £123 (184USD) not including postage and possible import duty charges, then you've got to put it together.

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
And have you noticed that they have stopped selling the cans from the spares page - kicking myself I did not buy a couple of the HID housings - did not see the point with single LEDs but I really like the idea of a pair with MC-E/P7 in each housing :mecry:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look like really nice lights, although it doesn't come inexpensively.

Ledgend lights, welcome to CPF. The light you made looks beautiful. Nice beam pattern too. Great work.

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
But how much can you sell your light for?

with warranty / spares / inventory / webshop / advertising before you even think about a profit:popcorn:
:D

ledgend lights

Newly Enlightened
But how much can you sell your light for?

with warranty / spares / inventory / webshop / advertising before you even think about a profit:popcorn:
:D

Sorry got my figures mixed up I can make my light for £90 and £160 including the battery and charger. Now bare in mind that it's twice as bright as the lumicycle unit if i sold it for £300................

mrled

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm I think I might just stick with my Halogen Lumis for the moment but I would be interested in one of the lengend lights for £90 ish if it will plug into my lumi batt.

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
I like your pricing strategy - but who would pay for your light ? :D

Someone who understands the workings of the light is going to know the cost of the components and is unlikely to pay a premium above that to cover your time, and often ignores the cost all those little wires clips and brackets that increase the cost of the build.

Someone who does not understand the workings of the light is unlikely to take a risk on something "made in a shed" and is going to want something from a reputed manufacturer.

Its only a comment on human nature:grin2: There are a few exceptions on here, but very few people can regularly sell lights for significantly more than the cost of their component parts. If they do then it is probably because of a large investment in Machine tooling.

ledgend lights

Newly Enlightened
Doh!Nut i see your point about people only spendingthat sort of money with the big boys. Which is why i've got a large manufacture on board to produce the lamp unit and I will be able to offer a 2 year warranty on the lamp.

chris_m

Enlightened
Here in Scotland our winter temps (when we need lights the most!!) are in the -5C to +5degC range. With an excellent slug to housing fit on an aluminium case I imagine you could have the back of the MCPCB at close to 10degC, say 15degC on the rear of the emitter and maybe not far off 25degC on the junction. Just guesses though.
I'd be surprised if you could get 5degC between the back of the MCPCB and the slug with a typical MCPCB used for an XR-E - generally they seem to have a very thin layer of poor thermal material. Could of course be using plain emitters on a proper production job (one of my homebuilds has XR-Es hand soldered to copper standoffs which are then ASed to my casing, so it's far from impossible, though I decided it was morre hassle than it's worth). Though you still lose quite a bit with each junction - Arctic Silver isn't actually all that good!

I guess 25degC would just about be plausible with sub zero outside temps and direct mounting.

SemiMan

Banned
I have to seriously question their specifications. They quote the specification for the R2 COOL WHITE, but then they claim that the light has a nice warm white color. You can't have it both ways....which is it?

Semiman

marcopolo

Newly Enlightened
I've just taken a close look at the specs. I think I figured out how they get 850lumins from a 3up.

They quote 12.3W on "BOOST" mode. I don't think they have Vf ofr 3 R2's of 4.1v I suspect they run the LED at a higher than max rated current:

Vf 3.7v @ 1.1A = 12.3W for 3 LED's (10% over amx current.)

if Vf is slightly lower at this wattage:

Vf 3.6v @ 1.15A = 12.3W (15% over max current)

So I suspect BOOST mode is a bit of overdrive.

chris_m

Enlightened
That would make sense - fairly sure I've also seen it suggested elsewhere that they use >1A. Makes for nice headline figures, but not sure I see the point given the drop off in efficiency up there, and that it's pretty hard to tell the difference between 750lm and 850lm without a back-to-back comparison.