• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LunaSol: The Concept

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Overall light output should be higher than the XR27 head as the LEDs are newer and more efficient now. As for throw ... :shrug: ... no idea, since I do not have an XR27 head.
bernie

greenstuffs

Banned
How does it compare to a XR-19? Since it has a 19mm reflector vs the 18mm reflector.

Overall light output should be higher than the XR27 head as the LEDs are newer and more efficient now. As for throw ... :shrug: ... no idea, since I do not have an XR27 head.
bernie

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not been this excited about a light in a long time.
I can't wait to get mine!!!!
Yaesumofo
I hear ya...

It would be cool if the Master would make rings whit different leds, I could use a UV or a red nightime vision...heck even my camera could use a little IR. Let me not get carried away too much..:devil:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The LED ring is bonded to the reflector with a UV cured epoxy. It is certainly possible to use other 3 mm LED's other than the 310CS I used. However, once you commit, the build is such that you won't be swapping these out for others unless you completely take the LunaSol 27 head apart. If I had the budget and economics to design a cassette or module that could easily be removed and reconfigured it would be a different story. Of course if I had wings.... :nana:

Out of curiosity, I did do one ring where I exchanged one of the 310CS with a red 3 mm Seoul LED. This also required machining the port of the red LED on the reflector as well. The color rendering of this ring was an improvement over the full ring of white LED's but the mod was too labor intensive to consider implementing across the population of all of these nor would it be important or possibly even desired in many cases.

The only viable way to offer these lights was in keeping a uniformity in construction which allowed me a certain amount of assembly line approach. Building a light up from beginning to end, one at a time, would have increased the labor time significantly and allowing for "custom" requests would be an administrative nightmare; not even accounting for the individual communications back and forth ("Well what if we added one orange and then two white and then a red....) Talk is cheap but time on the other hand, must be accounted for.

Another thing some of you aren't considering, I suspect, is that there is no provision for switching through portions of the LED ring selectively lighting just them. This is not a U2! If the U2 were easily accessible and dismantle able, you could do some really cool stuff, I know this for fact. :eek:

The LunaSol 27 is a relatively simple light and presumably of the KISS doctrine.

Brightboy1

Newly Enlightened
This is not a U2! If the U2 were easily accessible and dismantle able, you could do some really cool stuff, I know this for fact. :eek:

Unless I miss my guess, I think you mean a KROMA, not a U2.

Last edited:

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
The leds in the SF Beast are a mixed ring of white and UV. They all come on together. This is a very useful set up for LEOs as it gives local illumination and the ability to check documents authenticity at the same time.

I wonder how this set up would perform in a LunaSol ring.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don is Krytox 50/50 from the Shoppe o.k. to lube the threads and oring on the LunaSol?

John, that is what I use so I would have to answer yes. I am sure there are other lubes that will work fine but I have yet to find one that can compare with the reduction of sticktion like the Krytox provides.

seattlite

Enlightened
Anyone know how this compares to the XR-27C in throw and overall light output?

I got the light and had a chance to compare it with the XR-27C and some other lights. Hotspot on the XR-27C is obviously tighter and thus has better throw, but the LunaSol is not too far behind. Total light output of the LunaSol is about 43% more compared to the XR-27C, and just a little brighter than the Novatac 120P.

What really struck me about the light is the beam pattern. Bernie's pictures in the FAQ doesn't capture the 4 distinct degradation in the beam pattern, compared with the usual 2 degradations in most lights. Pretty cool I think.

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine, and I really like it. Fantastic job, Don, you've raised the bar (again). Its a great light able to accomplish the goals of multiple lights, with very little sacrifice.

I have to say though, I'm a bit distressed that what came out of the surfer-box looks a bit odd, not what I was expecting?! :shrug: Run time is great though! :D

LunaLT.jpg

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a bit different than a stock Lunasol. Looks like a ti 27 LT body.
How did that happen? Is that good? Is that a multi cell body?
Yaesumofo

Got mine, and I really like it. Fantastic job, Don, you've raised the bar (again). Its a great light able to accomplish the goals of multiple lights, with very little sacrifice.

I have to say though, I'm a bit distressed that what came out of the surfer-box looks a bit odd, not what I was expecting?! :shrug: Run time is great though! :D

LunaLT.jpg

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
eMack, eMack, eMack... I thought you weren't allowed to show photos of that which cannot be obtained! :eek:oo:

Nice setup there! :thumbsup:

john

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, cool as the Tootsie-Sol looks, sadly it doesn't really work. :laughing: The head threads down OK, and it would likely be OK to use with a 17670, but the LT body was not designed to allow for this head, so no-go. Fun McLego though. :wave:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, cool as the Tootsie-Sol looks, sadly it doesn't really work. :laughing: The head threads down OK, and it would likely be OK to use with a 17670, but the LT body was not designed to allow for this head, so no-go. Fun McLego though. :wave:

Oh, I was just about to leave you a "You suck! :D" reply. That clears it up.