• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LunaSol: The Concept

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Howdy.

(Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.)

I love the concept of this light. I'm wondering, would you ever do a wave of these in aluminum?

It looks beautiful in ti, but for me personally, if I spent that much on a flashlight, I don't think I could take it outside the house to use it.

Thanks.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not going to answer for Don but I have a feeling that your quest will be fruitless. Don It seems has a preference for making flashlights from Titanium. As a material Titanium is certainly cooler than aluminum.
The fact is that the same amount of effort is required on Don's part to make a light from titanium as is required to make one from aluminum. The bottom line is that in terms of return for dollar invested Don gets a better return from titanium than aluminum.
Yes there are many who would buy lights from aluminum. The reality is that Don sells every Titanium flashlight that he can make..EVERY ONE.
This may not be true if he were making them from aluminum.

I wish that Don would do a run of lights from 7075 aluminum.
I doubt they would be that much cheaper unfortunately.

So if you want a McGizmo flashlight made from aluminum Get on over to the Custom BST forum and get ready to plonk down $200.00 to $300.00 for a USED McGizmo PD. One with a Seoul emitter would be on the higher end of this range. The Lunasol sells for around $600.00. Only $300 more than a used aluminum light.

One thing that you can be sure of if you were lucky enough to get your hands on a Lunasol for say $550 to $600.00 you will be able to sell that light USED for at least $500 _+ after a time of use depending on condition.
The point is they have a good resale value. So go ahead buy a Lunasol (if you can find one) Play with it use it..have fun with it until you can't live without it. Then you will not be able to bring yourself to sell it and you will find the real utility of owning a real McGizmo...a genuine Lifetime flashlight.

Go get one!!! Heck the next thing you know they even be selling for MORE so you better hurry.

Yaesumofo

Howdy.

(Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.)

I love the concept of this light. I'm wondering, would you ever do a wave of these in aluminum?

It looks beautiful in ti, but for me personally, if I spent that much on a flashlight, I don't think I could take it outside the house to use it.

Thanks.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea of wide and close flood AND spot+spill have obvious appeal, but for me the 27 head is not that EDC friendly. I'll happily "make do?" with the PD-S knowing that I'll more likely have it when I need it than relying solely on a larger headed light that I'm less likely to carry.

If I'm going camping or night walking then I'll happily pack a 27 and a Mule and have more bulk but less compromise, but I'll not carry both these lights as a matter of course on the off chance that I'll need them.

Is there any likelyhood of you returning to those designs where you had a front facing spot/spill and a side mounted flood? Could you achieve this, cost and time effectively, in Ti, in a 19 or 20 head? If so, is this within your plans, short or long term?

Sorry if this is OT but I mean it to be within the spirit of discussion about the concept of the LunaSol. It is also not my intention to detract from the LunaSol.

The LunaSol is clearly a great solution for many, in a typically well made, well thought out and impeccably designed package, it just isn't a horse for my course as it were.

EDIT: Mack, you need to check that light, your "cuffs and collars" don't appear to match!

Last edited:

Edwood

Enlightened
I agree, Hodsta.

I love the concept of the Lunasol, but I prefer a narrower flashlight for EDC.

I absolutely love my Aluminum PD-S. I really wish the compact PD makes it's return in one form or another.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

is not just about the LunaSol 27.

LunaSols-1.jpg

There's a LunaSol 20 as well....... More to come on it very soon......

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

is not just about the LunaSol 27.

There's a LunaSol 20 as well....... More to come on it very soon......
O dear God, here we go again...Ill start rounding up the sacrificial lambs right now...:drool:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa!

That is alot of stuff to cram in there! Looks to be a killer short range light!

What is the main LED? Rebel?

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to need to sell something if these come available. Now why do I have 2 lunasol's:naughty:

ibcj

Enlightened
Oh geesh...:ohgeez: "very soon" from you could mean any minute. Do I dare go to bed tonight ? :thinking: