LX2 Really Is Waterproof

DonnaM

Newly Enlightened
I swear, I certainly will never start a thread extolling the waterproofness of one of my CR123 lights, cause the thread will immediately go astray with comments about how dangerous it is to get your CR123 light wet. Is there a way to get this thread back on track and talk about the waterproofness of the LX2, or other lights, for that matter?

Bill

Actually I'm curious about what is a good waterproof flashlight too. I do a lot of fishing and would like a light to use to help me at dusk tying lures onto the line as well as getting back to the car if it's too dark and I'm walking a dark trail. Also where does everyone get their flashlights from? Has anyone ever been to www.flashlightz.com?
Since everyone is talking about vents for the gas, is there a safe flashlight that is waterproof and won't be at risk of exploding? If there is a vent, then couldn't it be sealed so gas is only able to escape one way without water coming back into the vent? Or perhaps a blow-off valve that would puncture and release the pressure if it builds up.

Last edited:

Roger999

Enlightened
A watch rated to 3000m depth is not water proof, a flashlight rated to 3m depth is not water proof. They are Water resistant to that certain depth.

Btw thread is from 2009.

TomnAl

Newly Enlightened
IPX rating for waterproofness means the equipment can be in specific depth with any water entering the thing and would be completely immune the these damage at that kind of depth !

brembo

Enlightened
My BC40 went to a depth of 15 feet or so several times on the 4th. Toddler chucked someones truck keys off the dock. Didn't find the keys, but we sure did try. I took off the tailcap and all was well in there, considering the head is double O-ringed I didn't mess with that (and I told the other divers not to twist the head).

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you guys missed the most interesting part of the OP. Apparently his hot tub was 3 meters deep! Sounds quite dangerous for those who drink and soak...

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my light's are "waterproof" (all except my old zebralight h30, they had some issues early in the production). I have dunked all of my lights. If i don't maintain them in any way, they all will loose the waterproofness sooner or later. A dry, beaten old o-ring won't hold the water out from any brand of light, cheap or expensive.