• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

M43vn - Best of 2015?

Giocomo

Newly Enlightened
The blink doesn't necessarily mean batteries are low. I had 4 fully charged Samsung 25Rs. Like I said, the blink while holding turbo had something to do with the 4 or 5 clicks + hold mode.

Yeah it does not mean the batteries are necessary low, but why should it have something to do with the 4 or 5 clicks + hold mode? Those are quite clear what they do, one is the fast strobe mode and the other is the single mode activation, which works only if you hold the button constantly, quite neat.

When I activated the 12cliks+hold mode (ON/OFF Indicator "Warning") I started seeing some warning blink on Turbo, none before.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah it does not mean the batteries are necessary low, but why should it have something to do with the 4 or 5 clicks + hold mode?

I have no idea, so I just took the batteries out for a second and that reset it.

cagenuts

Enlightened
I'm just worried that the INRs are taking so long to charge. The Keeppower spec mentions 180 mins. The i4 is still flashing on the second bar. On the other hand, my normal protected cells (2600mAh) take quite a long time to charge and these are 3000mAh.

Confirm the i4 puts out 700mAh per slot?

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I'm just worried that the INRs are taking so long to charge. The Keeppower spec mentions 180 mins. The i4 is still flashing on the second bar. On the other hand, my normal protected cells (2600mAh) take quite a long time to charge and these are 3000mAh.

The i4 only has two (700mah) channels for 4 slots. So when you have all 4 slots in use, each battery only sees 350ma of current. With 3000mah cells, you're looking at 10 hours of charge time.

I believe slots one and three are channel one, two and four are channel two.

markr6

Flashaholic

With FOUR cells, I believe the max rate is cut down to 350mA. (nevermind, darkkightlight beat me to it)

Personally, I would recommend a faster charger considering the rate at which this light eats batteries.

Last edited:

cagenuts

Enlightened
The i4 only has two (700mah) channels for 4 slots. So when you have all 4 slots in use, each battery only sees 350ma of current. With 3000mah cells, you're looking at 10 hours of charge time.

With FOUR cells, I believe the max rate is cut down to 350mA.

Thanks guys, makes sense of course. I may have to use my other i2 chargers when I get home to get these suckers fully loaded!

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Thanks guys, makes sense of course. I may have to use my other i2 chargers when I get home to get these suckers fully loaded!
Just another random thing; I don't use my i4 v2 for charging unprotected cells. It charges unprotected cells to 4.25v, which is a little high for my liking. Protected cells come off at 4.21v though. If you have a multimeter, it may be worthwhile to measure cell voltage when they come off your charger. For unprotected cells I use my xtar sp2.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just another random thing; I don't use my i4 v2 for charging unprotected cells. It charges unprotected cells to 4.25v, which is a little high for my liking. Protected cells come off at 4.21v though. If you have a multimeter, it may be worthwhile to measure cell voltage when they come off your charger. For unprotected cells I use my xtar sp2.
My D4 charges my protected cells to 4.2 sometimes and 4.35 other times. I try to pull them off when I notice them at 4.2 now.

Giocomo

Newly Enlightened
My D4 charges my protected cells to 4.2 sometimes and 4.35 other times. I try to pull them off when I notice them at 4.2 now.

That is some overcharging, that will reduce the capacity of the cells at a much faster rate than 4.20V if it would be constantly charging at 4.35V

Are you totally sure the multimeter is accurate , may worth comparing to another multimeter when you actually measure 4.35V again.

Giocomo

Newly Enlightened
With FOUR cells, I believe the max rate is cut down to 350mA. (nevermind, darkkightlight beat me to it)

Personally, I would recommend a faster charger considering the rate at which this light eats batteries.

Actually it is not anything to do with the person or the flashlight, but 350mA charging current is way too little for 18650 cells, especially for the cells that you can buy nowadays. They could easily make it at 750mA per slot when having 4 cells in the charger.

cagenuts

Enlightened
Just another random thing; I don't use my i4 v2 for charging unprotected cells. It charges unprotected cells to 4.25v, which is a little high for my liking. Protected cells come off at 4.21v though. For unprotected cells I use my xtar sp2.

Ah, thanks for this. I will test them with my multi meter. I'm happy to get another charger so which is the best out there at the moment for mainly 18650 unprotected cells? Is the Xtar SP2 the latest and greatest?

markr6

Flashaholic
Actually it is not anything to do with the person or the flashlight, but 350mA charging current is way too little for 18650 cells, especially for the cells that you can buy nowadays. They could easily make it at 750mA per slot when having 4 cells in the charger.

I like my Opus BT-C3100 v2.2 which does 4x1000mA. I use that setting often; 700mA sometimes. Never any lower.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Just because they can handle more current does not make 350ma too low of a current; rather, high discharge cells can handle a higher charge current if need be. so long as the charge cycle follows a cc/cv profile and does not trickle charge thereafter, the cells will be just fine.

@cagenuts: no the sp2 is not the latest and greatest. It has been out for a few years now I believe. I bought it because it can put out a 2 amp charge current for my high discharge 26650s. It also terminates charge at exactly 4.20 volts for all of my unprotected cells, so I prefer it.

Giocomo

Newly Enlightened
Just because they can handle more current does not make 350ma too low of a current; rather, high discharge cells can handle a higher charge current if need be. so long as the charge cycle follows a cc/cv profile and does not trickle charge thereafter, the cells will be just fine.
So where did I say that? because they handle more current 350mA is too low of a current?
350mA is too low of a current period for cells that nowadays have 3000mAh to 3500mAh, most of these cells are rated to be charged with up to 0.5C and they are do not have to be high discharge cells. However 350mA is too anyway you put it in 2015 for a 18650 cell

Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
So where did I say that? because they handle more current 350mA is too low of a current?
350mA is too low of a current period for cells that nowadays have 3000mAh to 3500mAh, most of these cells are rated to be charged with up to 0.5C and they are do not have to be high discharge cells. However 350mA is too anyway you put it in 2015 for a 18650 cell
You just stated it again. There is no need to clutter Vinh's sales thread with this as it is off topic; I offered information to help clarify charging characteristics for the high-drain cells required by the light being sold in this thread. No debate was intended. I apologize for the off-topic posts.

lumentia

Enlightened
Pulling things back on topic, I tested out some LG HG2 20 amp, 3000 mah cells in this light and at ten second and 30 seconds the output (ceiling bounce) is identical to when I tested with Sony vtc5s. I'm getting about 6950 lumens out of it.

I think I may try some of the LG MJ1 10 amp, 3500 mah cells. They're not too expensive so it would be worth having for other lights even if they won't run turbo well in the m43. I think they'll do fine though.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Who is ready for M43vn with XPL HI V2 6500K output measurement?!

I will eventually have V3 bin too.

Will go measure now. This will be last thing I do before I am off work and prep for my trip. I will still email until midnight.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
M43vn with XPL HI 6500K V2 I for 7450/7250

This is less than

Noctigon M43vn XPL PDTc: 7960/7880

Tint is perfectly white though :)

cagenuts

Enlightened
Just an update. I bought the XPG2 PDTc and it's simply awesome! It's almost if not the perfect beam, a combination of decent throw with a massive hot spot that not even the sun can hide from. It's pretty heavy for the size but the machining is top quality and the holster/pouch is handy. I thought my stock Fenix TK75 was bright but the M43 puts it in the shade, literally.

The UI is not complicated at all but to be fair, I haven't given UI 3 a spin yet but 1 & 2 are easy to use, especially UI 2 which is very similar to the ZebraLight UI. I like the tactical mode which can be programmed in any output level mode. If I'm going for a walk around my neighbourhood, I strap on either my ZL or Amrytek headlamp and adjust the output accordingly. Then if I want to light up an area, I just hold down the M43 button (essentially momentary on) and it's all Turbo until I release.

I also like that you can lock out the light to guard against accidental activation or inquisitive kids (6 clicks). It's also cool that the strobes can be programmed for any of the output levels.

I haven't had the turbo on for more than a couple of minutes so I don't know if it gets much hotter than it does at this point but it's not too bad actually.

The lowest mode is perfect for finding stuff in the dark without waking up others and it's not as low as those ridiculous levels found on the ZebraLight and Armytek.

I'm happy!