Mag changed their incan bulb!

bstrickler

Enlightened
Sorry for the late reply guys, I've been busy with work.

Given the dramatic in reduction in filament length its going to be much easier to collimate into a dot... but as seen on minimags I think flood mode is still going to look very crappy :)

6D beam ~36"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/from phone/IMAG0298.jpg

NEW 4D beam ~36"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/from phone/IMAG0297.jpg

The odd "wing" is nowhere near as bad as it was with the original style PR bulbs, but it's still *slightly* there, which I attribute to the focus post tweaking the bulb pedestal slightly.

Flood is garbage, as usual for Mags.

OK, who's gonna melt one first?!!

I'd melt it, but I'm probably gonna use it until it burns out, and upgrade it afterwards. Maybe when it burns out, I'll melt it for ya.

Yet another collaboration between engineering and marketing to control more of residual sales. If you sell a flashlight and most people only buy a couple of them a life time, and the only thing that really wears out/ gets replaced is the bulb... Make more expensive, highly specialized bulbs of which you are the only supplier. Pretty slick, huh?

G4 pins aren't too difficult to find. They're also smaller, which means smaller packaging, and less storage space needed for the same amount of bulbs. It's actually a smart idea in a way.

well, the maglites at my Home Depot still uses PR lamps.

This one was from Amazon, and it was the "Display Box" version. $20 shipped with Prime.

Illum

Flashaholic
6D beam ~36"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/from phone/IMAG0298.jpg

NEW 4D beam ~36"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/from phone/IMAG0297.jpg

The odd "wing" is nowhere near as bad as it was with the original style PR bulbs, but it's still *slightly* there, which I attribute to the focus post tweaking the bulb pedestal slightly.

:huh2: :huh: :grin2: :thinking:
Is this Mag's version of a football beam? :lolsign:
Slight increase in intensity is a good thing though

bstrickler

Enlightened
:huh2: :huh: :grin2: :thinking:
Is this Mag's version of a football beam? :lolsign:
Slight increase in intensity is a good thing though

Not quite sure what you mean (I just woke up), but you know how when the Mags were in "spot" mode, the beam wasnt totally round, there was a slight "tail", like a comet (simplest analogy I can think of)? That doesn't really exist anymore, in the 4D G4 pin version. The 6D is a slight "Asian eye", or "cats eye" look to the beam (to be more PC).

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I could be mistaken, but it looks to me from the pics that Mag's motivation for designing this bi-pin socket holder was also to allow them to use a single switch with the same post for both LED and incan lights. It looks to me like the bi-pin socket rises higher out of the post than the LED module, so the incan reflector can be used, but the design of the post in the pics looks very much like the rebel/xpe LED Mag D posts. Can anyone confirm? (Not sure why I'd care though, I always cut the post off anyway, and it's not like there are good upgrade drop-ins for the LED post anyway.)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you suggesting that Mag is returning to the days of old where the only difference between their incan and their LED models was nothing more than a bulb or LED drop-in?

Illum

Flashaholic
Not quite sure what you mean (I just woke up), but you know how when the Mags were in "spot" mode, the beam wasnt totally round, there was a slight "tail", like a comet (simplest analogy I can think of)? That doesn't really exist anymore, in the 4D G4 pin version. The 6D is a slight "Asian eye", or "cats eye" look to the beam (to be more PC).

ahh, I understand now, haven't touched a real mag in years. I was just being sarcastic about the oval beam being closed to that of surefires, where the beam is not completely round but oval. :candle:

Are you suggesting that Mag is returning to the days of old where the only difference between their incan and their LED models was nothing more than a bulb or LED drop-in?

Possible, I have heard of comments from nonflashaholics [using non-Maglite products] about how "irritating" cool white LEDs are when used outdoors as the tint washes out everything... its plausible to suggest Maglite intends to give their customers the freedom of using either or without the possibility of its customers using [non-proprietary] PR lamps

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
ahh, I understand now, haven't touched a real mag in years. I was just being sarcastic about the oval beam being closed to that of surefires, where the beam is not completely round but oval. :candle:

Possible, I have heard of comments from nonflashaholics [using non-Maglite products] about how "irritating" cool white LEDs are when used outdoors as the tint washes out everything... its plausible to suggest Maglite intends to give their customers the freedom of using either or without the possibility of its customers using [non-proprietary] PR lamps

I misread it as "football team", thats why i was confused.

None of my 4 incan Surefires have had an oval beam, but then again, they all ran P60 lamps.

Your second statement would make sense. Maybe they went to G4's, because they may be more efficient in general than PR bases? Or possibly in the quantities they buy, G4's are cheaper (far less metal in a G4 than a PR). I'm just guessing, because incans aren't my specialty.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does this mean for my ROP host? What spares should I squirrel away in the attic? Entire last-generation PR host?

Techjunkie

Enlightened

Not quite. I assume that the reflectors are still different. I was merely suggesting that from a manufacturing standpoint, it's cheaper to manufacture one D series switch than two. If I'm right, you would be able to switch between LED and incan in the same host by swapping reflectors and bi-pin holder / LED module.

Now that I think more about it, the flute on the reflectors would have to be the same for both to operate the same focus mechanism, so, either I'm completely wrong, or the reflector has changed too.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Not quite. I assume that the reflectors are still different. I was merely suggesting that from a manufacturing standpoint, it's cheaper to manufacture one D series switch than two. If I'm right, you would be able to switch between LED and incan in the same host by swapping reflectors and bi-pin holder / LED module.

Now that I think more about it, the flute on the reflectors would have to be the same for both to operate the same focus mechanism, so, either I'm completely wrong, or the reflector has changed too.

Reflector and switch towers are totally different.

Switch towers
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/all from phone/IMAG0303.jpg

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know, you might be onto something there. If Mag standardizes on the current MagLED flashlight as a model and just made a new pill piece that replaces the LED module and nothing else using those bi-pin bulbs then we would have come full circle with the classic MagLites. Ease of manufacturing and simplified inventory are both wins for any manufacturer.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
Reflector and switch towers are totally different.

Switch towers
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/all%20from%20phone/IMAG0303.jpg

I stand corrected.

You know, you might be onto something there. If Mag standardizes on the current MagLED flashlight as a model and just made a new pill piece that replaces the LED module and nothing else using those bi-pin bulbs then we would have come full circle with the classic MagLites. Ease of manufacturing and simplified inventory are both wins for any manufacturer.

bstrickler has debunked that theory with the pic linked to above.

If Maglite is commited to continuing to offer an incan version of their D-cell lights for those in the general public to whom LED lights are unappealing (and I infer from this development that they are), then I suppose that these are welcome changes, provided that the incan lights and replacement bulbs are as affordable and accessible as their predecessors. Personally, I gut and mod all the Mags I buy, so my Mag purchases will be based exclusively on price. I'm not holding my breath waiting for Maglite to release an empty host, DIY, kit version for $5 less than the incan version, so here's hoping that this improvement to the incan won't bump it's price up, or the only $15 Mag 2Ds to be had will be from home improvement giants between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
bstrickler has debunked that theory with the pic linked to above.
Yes, I know, but, if they want to they can easily drop their existing incandescent model line and replace it with a newer version that is based on the MagLED, but, with a bi-pin socket instead of the LED module as seen in bstrickler's photo.

bstrickler

Enlightened
If Maglite is commited to continuing to offer an incan version of their D-cell lights for those in the general public to whom LED lights are unappealing (and I infer from this development that they are), then I suppose that these are welcome changes, provided that the incan lights and replacement bulbs are as affordable and accessible as their predecessors. Personally, I gut and mod all the Mags I buy, so my Mag purchases will be based exclusively on price. I'm not holding my breath waiting for Maglite to release an empty host, DIY, kit version for $5 less than the incan version, so here's hoping that this improvement to the incan won't bump it's price up, or the only $15 Mag 2Ds to be had will be from home improvement giants between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I doubt it will raise the price at all, because of how cheap you can get G4 bulbs. Heck, you can get an LED G4 bi-pin low power LED bulb for cheap (or make your own). The "expensive" part would be the PR to G4 adapter. In the quantities they make them, I bet its under 10 cents for the bulb and adapter.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Yes, I know, but, if they want to they can easily drop their existing incandescent model line and replace it with a newer version that is based on the MagLED, but, with a bi-pin socket instead of the LED module as seen in bstrickler's photo.

Now that you mention that, I think thats probably their plans. They are provbably using up their supply of incan towers, and are stockpiling adapters for their LED towers while using up the excess, so they only need one setup for making towers, and one for making incan adapters. Not very cost effeective to make 2 different towers, when one type will do.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
This could mean all the new incan hosts are absurdly well-heat-sinked, as the LEDs would have to be.

While good heat-sinking is par for the course in LED builds, I've yet to see any incan build with the Elektrolumens one-pound copper slug for a heat sink (for example).

Motumoyo

Newly Enlightened
The latest news / persuasive marketing analysis / solid high-tech information / solid high-tech information.

broadgage

Enlightened
ehh... 4D lamp, so 6V... I have a hunch Marantz lamp part # IN1006301 6.3V 40MA Bi-Pin will fit
2rm4kli.jpg

I dont think that those lamps would be suitable for flashlights, in most circumstances.
Note that the current is only 40ma, suggesting pilot or indicator lamps, not useful sources of illumination.

Presuming that the lamps fit, they would work but give an exceedingly dim light, Made dimmer still by being under run a bit.
On alkaline D cells the battery run time would be 400 to 500 hours or several weeks of 24/7 operation.
Possibly useful in some long term survival situation such as a fall out shelter. The minimal output would suffice in familiar suroundings with dark adapted eyes.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, these bulbs are known as MagnumStar II and are (or will be) offered as a conversion kit for PR Mags, with a PR-bipin adapter:
See http://flashlightsunlimited.com/magbulbs.htm
MagnumStarIIPackage_square.png

Which raises two questions...

1. With a mica disk cut to fit (as used in the classic 1160 MagCharger upgrade), doesn't this make the 3xLi-ion Mag85 even more ridiculously easy than ever? Still need a metal reflector, but since Litho123 sells all of 1185+reflector+heatshield, it's a single order, and under $40. (Plus batteries to suit -- 26500s for 2D or 26650/32650 for 3D.) I could almost see this pushing the ROP right out of the market.

2. The Magnum Star II is a G4 (0.7mm pins, 4mm spacing) base -- but MR16s are GX5.3 (1.5mm pins, 5.3mm spacing). I wonder whether either the MSII PR-adapter or the speculated newstyle-LED-like version can be persuaded to accept these? If so, that's even easier, since they bring their own reflector and have minimal heat coming out the bottom...

OK, at least the PR-adapter looks unlikely -- I think the contacts are cylindrical rather than two flat springs -- but hard to say without one in hand. Still, wouldn't it be hilarious if Mag, with all their silly anti-mod stance, accidentally made 4-cell MR16 mods dead easy?

Latest posts