Mag-Tac LED new from Mag-Lite...

nightspark

Newly Enlightened
Shame that they went with plastic for the lens. Hopefully it is more scratch resistant that the ones on the XL models.

nightspark

Newly Enlightened
Dang. Any idea why Maglite uses lenses that are so easily scratched? I'll still be getting one (foliage green), because Maglite is the best bang for the buck IMO.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless scratch-resistant coatings are used (like what Streamlight uses on the Stinger series), polycarbonate is soft and easy to scratch.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duty cycle runtime test completed.

MAG-TAC_PB_Runtime_90.png

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got some partially completed runtime test results to share. :)

MAG-TAC_PB_Runtime.png
Thanks for the great info Robin.

Sorry to ask, but what's the difference between the blue and green lines? Is one a rechargeable battery?

Also as you seem to be in the know with MagLites, any idea why the MagTac steps down after only 3 mins vs the 12 mins for the XL200? Looking at the plots it would seem the XL200 as a much nicer regulation pattern.

XL200_Runtime.png

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag Tac is brighter than the XL200, isn't it? I wonder if the relatively quick drop down is to prevent heat buildup.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It definately helps reduce heat, but I don't think that's the main reason for doing it. While I was doing the duty cycle test, the light got fairly warm, but nowhere near as hot as 500+ lumen lights.

Sorry to ask, but what's the difference between the blue and green lines? Is one a rechargeable battery?
Yes, it's the lithium-phosphate rechargeable 123A from K2 Energy. I try to put as much info into the graph as possible, so I had to use some appreviations. There's a list of them on my site, but it's mostly self-explanatory.

Also as you seem to be in the know with MagLites, any idea why the MagTac steps down after only 3 mins vs the 12 mins for the XL200? Looking at the plots it would seem the XL200 as a much nicer regulation pattern.
I would say the MAG-TAC is better because the reduction is gradual. Maglite seems to be moving away from 12 minutes at high, as the ML125, Pro/Pro+, and Pro 2D all have this gradual step-down.

They're not the only manufacturer to use gradual step-down, so it could be from customer input or request since the MAG-TAC was specifically designed for the US military.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Just received my MAG TAC-320 lm, crowned bezel. Pretty cool! Tested mag tac light against Walmart issued_ Coleman ct- 50, at " 500 LM, with 6AAs and *500 lm output as stated on packaging. Mag tac appears to be nearly as bright. My Mac tac has a decent hotspot with bright side-spill. So far, I like it. Looks like I have a new EDC! I'll pair it up with my Jetbeam bc10, or my Coleman ft-20, both lights are more short to medium range floods.

david57strat

Enlightened
Just received my MAG TAC-320 lm, crowned bezel. Pretty cool! Tested mag tac light against Walmart issued_ Coleman ct- 50, at " 500 LM, with 6AAs and *500 lm output as stated on packaging. Mag tac appears to be nearly as bright. My Mac tac has a decent hotspot with bright side-spill. So far, I like it. Looks like I have a new EDC! I'll pair it up with my Jetbeam bc10, or my Coleman ft-20, both lights are more short to medium range floods.

Could we trouble you for some comparison beam shots? Thanks a lot!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you have an XL200 in your profile pic, and the beam pattern is no different from the XL200 (just brighter).

Raptor Factor

Newly Enlightened
Surefire's 6PX/G2X/Z2X Line mysteriously just got updated to 320 lumens... getting competitive aye?

ncka1234

Newly Enlightened
Yes, last color hold out was the Urban Gray. But they are all shipping now, challenge is that the retailers are being very selective on what colors they want to keep in stock.

tophies

Newly Enlightened
I have been watching this forum for a while now and seeing all the comments on the mag-tac, so this is my first post, just wanted to add my thoughts.

I live in the UK I have just received my crenellated mag tac in black today, I have had maglites for years and have the 2D cell, xl100, xl200.

I think the Mag-Tac is much better than the xl series, seems to be more substantial. Love the fact it came with a clip, and the knurled cyclinder. Has a nice feel to the body and seems weighty to feel high quality but not to heavy to keep in my jacket. Great illumination from the LED as well. I also checked my serial number and its a low number (in the 200-300 range), seems a bit silly but kinda like the low number.

btw if anyone knows how to get one, I need a new reflector for my xl200, cant seem to get one from anywhere and sadly maglite dont answer my email queries :thumbsdow

So hello to others and I look forward to reading more about your feelings and experiences with the Mag-Tac, and if anyone has any experience of replacing the 2 CR123 with the alternatives available, let me know. :grin2:

Bendbig

Newly Enlightened
Seems like everyone's first impression was this is a good light, how about an update after some time spent as an EDC. I think I want one, but as an EDC light I am extremely hard on a light (used but not abused), would like an update from some of you that have spent some time using it.